The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presently in production mix bus comp nearest to Red 3 sound Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

Presently in production mix bus comp nearest to Red 3 sound

As the title says.
I've been using the VBC Red and really love its sound.

The most important characteristics i'm looking for are the "Snap" or "Thwack" thing that it does to the mix.

Budget 3-5k
Old 14th September 2014
I haven't used the VBC Red too much. I know that the RED 3 was an SSL-inspired comp, so looking there might help you. I own a Serpent SB4001 that I think very highly of, but I've also heard great things about the Dramastic Obsidian and the IGS SSL 4000. Perhaps even an Alan Smart C1, modded with the HPF would suit what you're talking about.

-hope this helps
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

Ssl inspired?
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

I was in the same boat like 3 days ago... still am kinda.

I don't know if this helps, but this is the thread.
Is focusrite red 3 worth it. How close does the slate plugin get???

I am also curious regarding new responses. I think I am just gonna keep using VBC, and getting an API 2500. Dramastic Obsidian is really great too, but I may like the Red color a bit more in some stuff even if in plugin form. Im curious about the serpent and red hardware
Old 14th September 2014
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

Thats a single tranny
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreeman View Post
that the RED 3 was an SSL-inspired comp,
I thought it's more Neve than SSL because both my FX 384 and my SSL Xlogic comps shelf off the bottom end while my Red 3 does not.
I would say my Dangerous are far closer to my Red 3 than a SSL.

Last edited by T_R_S; 15th September 2014 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: bad typing
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I thought it's more Neve than SSL because both my FX 384 and my SSL Xlogic comps sehlf off teh bottom end while my Red 3 does not.
I would say my Dangerous are far closer to my Red 3 than a SSL.

Definitely been eyeing the Dangerous compressor.

My only concern is that it seems to be described as very transparent and clean. I know i'm not going to get an exact red 3 sound without buying a red 3 but does the dangerous compressor impart any "sound/coloration"

However im not as concerned about "coloration" as I am gain reduction behavior and how it affects transients.

Is the Dangerous capable of recreating or coming near to the "Snap and Thwack" sound of the Red 3? If it can do that, i'm sold on it. I can get the color I want else where in the chain.

Thanks in advance!
John
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

The dangerous can do pretty much anything you want from clean to color - it's all in the knob twisting.
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The dangerous can do pretty much anything you want from clean to color - it's all in the knob twisting.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have pretty much the same question.
I am also curious though. Does it exhibit the same transient punch the RED does (at least the plugin does hehe). And I hear the API is pure punch. Is the API punch and width the same type I hear in the red 3. ???
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
I am also curious though. Does it exhibit the same transient punch the RED does (at least the plugin does hehe). And I hear the API is pure punch. Is the API punch and width the same type I hear in the red 3. ???
I think the 2500 is in its own league as far as transient response and punchiness.
I don't think is a contemporary to the RED. Still awesome though.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Dangerous comp. Ill let you guess know my impressions on it and what it can do. Just need this last outstanding account to pay up...
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Addict

The vertigo VSC-2 would be one that I'd check out if I was looking for something similar to the red 3. Shadow Hills' VCA compressors would be worth checking out too.
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

Nothing currently in production sounds remotely close to an original first edition red 3
good on their own yes but the early red makes for a finished record sound
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Addict

The OP asked for the nearest comp that's presently in production. He did not ask for a Red 3 clone. A Mastering grade VCA comp that is not trying to mimic an SSL/DBX is were I'd start looking for the nearest.
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
I am a huge fan of outboard comps I probably have 24+ of them, - The Dangerous is the only one I've used that can do so many different things I really think they nailed it and for the money it's amazing.
Old 4th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am a huge fan of outboard comps I probably have 24+ of them, - The Dangerous is the only one I've used that can do so many different things I really think they nailed it and for the money it's amazing.
That is literally the same thing ive heard EVERYONE say about it! Not one review even just half way. Everyone loves it. Used Dual Tranny Red 3 could be 3-5k. Dangerous comp is 2799. Im ordering one.
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

I have not read one review about it - I tried one out and fell in love with it at first listen.
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

The price so far isnt the hard part about a dual red3, finding one is.
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hi. Just wanted to give an update to this thread. I just got my Dangerous Compressor in. Have not used yet as I am currently finishing a rebuild of my ceiling cloud. As soon as that is done, Ill get to working and post a detailed description. Ill try to be unbiased because Ill obviously like it because I own it. Im expecting clean and transparent with powerful and pleasing GR behavior.

As far as build, fit and finish, its a tank. Great build quality and feel. Stay tuned for more info. If I can get clearance to post some clips of clients work I will.

Old 26th May 2015
I know it's not currently in production but my focusrite blue 230 is the real deal on what your looking for it makes the slate plugin sound cheap and ratty when a/b'd together and that is a great plugin which I'd use over many other hardware boxes!
No much help I know but just another opinion!
Old 26th May 2015
dbx 160SL!!!! One of the best VCA compressor/limiter. Check it. Solid unit!
Old 17th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
As the title says.

The most important characteristics i'm looking for are the "Snap" or "Thwack" thing that it does to the mix.

Budget 3-5k
Dude, just get the HW Red 3… like you I was using the plugin and then got the HW and it was revelatory! Width, Depth, Separation… keep a search on ebay for the HW.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Another vote for the blue 230.. Very special comp
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
As the title says.

Budget 3-5k
Check out that compressor.I did have RED3 (one trany)and sold it.
Now I have AML54F50.It is a killer comp.Before that I did have SSL bus comp,and Shadow hills DV,and Thermionic The Phoenix,I sold them all.
Listen that ex below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBw4PG5fgaM
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

I guess it's the new thing:
Audio equipment and SSL style Bus Compressors have never ever been so prolific, now it must be 50 plus so I'd say the Focusrite 3 series Blue with 2 steel panels was the good job alongside a Red series though seems Dr Bill has a good idea on these, as always Google GS back 15-10 years, then 5, then 2 years and see what people were using and stuck to, that speaks volumes more do then my favourite is? Etc! Best and new ain't always the top dog!
33609/2254's etc are stunning though two original 2254/E units on a Master buss, sheesh you'd need two massive EQ units to dig yourself out?
I'm my humble opinion etc!

Googles GS.

Cheers
TLB
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search