The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the AT5040? Impressions? Clips? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone using the AT5040? Impressions? Clips?

Just wondering whether anyone was using the Audio Technica 5040 ? If so what are your thoughts on it? (audio clips would be amazing)

There's plenty of magazine reviews out there but a lack of user opinions (being a fairly new mic at a high price point and all). I really like the AT4047MP from AT but with my next mic I'm after something specifically for lead vocals. Can it stand up with the greats? (u87, c12, 251 etc?)

Any info/opinions appreciated
Old 13th September 2014
James, the same question here for a long time.

About the Audio Technica AT5040 I find only sparsely informations in the ww world (gearslutz, youtube...)
The mic is unfortunately too expensive, to buy one for the own practical experience.

Hope, a few guys jump in !

R.
Old 14th September 2014
Anyone using the AT5040? Impressions? Clips?

Is there anybody out there?

Nobody ?

R.
Old 15th September 2014
I'd like to know as well!
Old 19th September 2014
I knew it all along.

Nobody

R.
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
I knew it all along.

Nobody

R.
Well if I end up with one somehow in the future I'll be sure to come back and update this with my impressions. That's the best we've got by the looks of things
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Just wondering whether anyone was using the Audio Technica 5040? If so what are your thoughts on it? (audio clips would be amazing)

There's plenty of magazine reviews out there but a lack of user opinions (being a fairly new mic at a high price point and all). I really like the AT4047MP from AT but with my next mic I'm after something specifically for lead vocals. Can it stand up with the greats? (u87, c12, 251 etc?)

Any info/opinions appreciated
Remembering reading about it and clips here

Ty Ford did a review of it here

Hope it helps, I hear you're digging the ID22, so am I.
Cheers !!
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
Remembering reading about it and clips here

Ty Ford did a review of it here

Hope it helps, I hear you're digging the ID22, so am I.
Cheers !!
Thanks for the links pal, I've been keeping an eye on the 5040 and its discussions here for a while now but I was hoping it would have adopted more users (and in turn comparisons/opinions) by this point in time.

Yeh I'm really digging the iD22! it's perfect for me (the hobbyist and pro engineer wanabee!)
Old 30th September 2014
Gear Maniac

The reviews and clips seem pretty sparse, but very positive so far. I hope a gearslut does a shootout or at least a demo soon. This might be a mic worth saving up for. Might put it in my list of things to buy, after a BLA interface mod, and a Big Ben
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/si...re/id919344413

It's only a preview in iTunes, but I had this mic on loner last year and recorded all the Backing vocals on this tune "My Religion" by Troy Baker with the AT5040, lead vocal was the CM7.

AT5040 through Manley Slam! to protools.

You can at least hear it in a mix.
Old 7th October 2014
Bump. I will be getting one very shortly.
Old 7th October 2014
Old 7th October 2014
Gear Nut

Yeah .. what he said .. The latest studio album from Dream Theater .. there are some sections where you can hear the acoustic guitar by itself ... and there are some ballad-esque parts where instrumentation is low enough you can focus on the voice.

This is nice though ... Natalie McCool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ-BrpRRydU
Old 3rd December 2014
I bought one but I think it's faulty, trying to get hold of an Australian rep to find out.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
I bought one but I think it's faulty, trying to get hold of an Australian rep to find out.
What is it doing....or not doing?
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
What is it doing....or not doing?
Its very sibilant and thin, here's a comparison between the 5040 and the 4050.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...comaprison.mp3
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't hear "thin" on your comparisons, though I do hear extended top end. In fact I hear a bigger low to mid low end bump on the 5040 as well. Maybe the top end is more than you expected?
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't hear "thin" on your comparisons, though I do hear extended top end. In fact I hear a bigger low to mid low end bump on the 5040 as well. Maybe the top end is more than you expected?
I have to agree here. The 5040 is showing some really nice clarity and an extended top and bottom end. I can hear the bigger low end as well, especially in the first "This is the 5040" with the low frequency noises going on in the room.

The top is extended and really clear as well. The whole thing sounds a bit 3 dimensional to me whereas the 4050 sounds a bit flat but still good. The 4050 sounds rolled off and a bit pokey in the mids.

As Crash said, maybe the top is more than you expect? With a mic like that I don't think you can mic the 5040 the way you mic the 4050 because of the extended top end.

Did you try different positions with the mic or suspending it upside down to reduce sibiliance?

I have a 4050 but have been eyeing the 5040 since it was released.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Frank
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I have to agree here. The 5040 is showing some really nice clarity and an extended top and bottom end. I can hear the bigger low end as well, especially in the first "This is the 5040" with the low frequency noises going on in the room.

The top is extended and really clear as well. The whole thing sounds a bit 3 dimensional to me whereas the 4050 sounds a bit flat but still good. The 4050 sounds rolled off and a bit pokey in the mids.

As Crash said, maybe the top is more than you expect? With a mic like that I don't think you can mic the 5040 the way you mic the 4050 because of the extended top end.

Did you try different positions with the mic or suspending it upside down to reduce sibiliance?

I have a 4050 but have been eyeing the 5040 since it was released.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Frank
Cheers guys.

But to be honest I was hoping for less sibilance and more beef. After everyone telling me its the best mic they have used with great sibilance control I must admit i was very surprised to hear that much. Even the AT4050 has a bit too much for my liking. But I bought the mic locally, brand new so i have a good window to test her out on clients (those with talent) with mic placements and pres before/if sending it back. But i really want to keep it and if you guys say its just a bright mic im not used to then its a good thing hopefully.

Thankyou so much for all your experience and help with this matter.
Old 3rd December 2014
Old 3rd December 2014
Perhaps i should invest in the EL de-esser?
Old 4th December 2014
I am taking the mic I have back to swap for another one, I have been in touch with 2 guys that have spent a great deal of time with the mic and assured me it's what the mic is suposed to sound like.
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am taking the mic I have back to swap for another one, I have been in touch with 2 guys that have spent a great deal of time with the mic and assured me it's what the mic is suposed to sound like.
You are swapping for what?
Old 5th December 2014
Quote:
You are swapping for what?
another at5040
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
another at5040
I'll be curious to see if there is indeed a difference. Keep us posted on the results.
Old 5th December 2014
Lives for gear

Me as well. Good luck!
Old 6th December 2014
Quote:
I'll be curious to see if there is indeed a difference. Keep us posted on the results.
Quote:
Me as well. Good luck!
Thankyou guys

We live in a smallish remote town and its the only music shop here, they price match online prices for me and love the sales i give them. The are good people and are on my side as they talk to the suppliers to get me another mic. I will keep you guys posted and do some shootouts with my other gear when the working model turns up.
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its very sibilant and thin, here's a comparison between the 5040 and the 4050.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...comaprison.mp3
Just listened to this on my monitors, there is nothing wrong with your 5040 by the sounds of things. It sounds good, a lot more open and pure than the 4050 (which is what I'd expect given the price difference!).
Old 9th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Just listened to this on my monitors, there is nothing wrong with your 5040 by the sounds of things. It sounds good, a lot more open and pure than the 4050 (which is what I'd expect given the price difference!).
It sounds nothing like an actual AT5040, I dont know what you're hearing but to me that is totally unacceptable sibilance. The AT4050 is already a very bright mic and my 5040 takes it that bit too far. I will post a comparison of my mates AT5040 and it sounds like mine has a 15db boost @7000hz.
Old 9th December 2014
Here is the clip of the 2 mics, no processing on anything, first is the good AT5040 into an interface pre, the last half is my AT5040 into a TwinQ (that has been tseted with other mics, and my AT5040 sound no different on all my other pres)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0faulty%20.mp3
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search