The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing Master Of Puppets Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th November 2006

Mixing Master Of Puppets

This is a question for MW and i am suprised its never been asked before. Could you talk us through how you mixed some of the stuff on MOP? I'd love to know whatever you are willing to share!
How did you get the GTRs to sit? Compressors used? Any tips from those sessions? How long did it take you? How about mixing the drums? Any triggers? Processing used to get them sounding the way they are?

Any info on this would be amazing Michael!

Cheers
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

There was a bunch of info posted on the tracking sessions, incl. notes on amp settings.
Old 20th November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
There was a bunch of info posted on the tracking sessions, incl. notes on amp settings.
thanks mate, i've already read over that. I'd love to know more about the mixing sessions though-and MW is the man who'll know
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

Cool. Just checking

I'm gonna crank "Disposable Heroes" here in a sec...

dut-dut-dut-DUT-dut-DUT-DUT!

Yeahhhhhhh...that's better!
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Those guys were whacked on booze and blow in those days (From what I understand) so I'm curious how they got stuff done.
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Master of Puppets....

I still remeber where I was when I heard Cliff Burton has died in that bus acciedent..

I was in 10th grade, it was after 2nd period....at my locker, and a couple of buddies told me...

As for the Metallica guys being on coke....have you read the lyrics for Master of Puppets the song?
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Master of Puppets....

I still remeber where I was when I heard Cliff Burton has died in that bus acciedent..

I was in 10th grade, it was after 2nd period....at my locker, and a couple of buddies told me...

As for the Metallica guys being on coke....have you read the lyrics for Master of Puppets the song?
Chop your breakfast on a mirror...isn't that the line?
Old 21st November 2006

as far as i am aware Hetfield was only a booze man, Burton was a weed smoker and Ulrich and Hammett dabbled with coke for a while but were never big users............or so they say!
Old 23rd November 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmmaster View Post
This is a question for MW and i am suprised its never been asked before. Could you talk us through how you mixed some of the stuff on MOP? I'd love to know whatever you are willing to share!
How did you get the GTRs to sit? Compressors used? Any tips from those sessions? How long did it take you? How about mixing the drums? Any triggers? Processing used to get them sounding the way they are?

Any info on this would be amazing Michael!

Cheers
Oh boy...let's see.

First of all Flemming did an amazing job tracking everything (of course he had the help of a Trident A-range heh ) which made mixing a breeze. James and Lars had very set ideas on how everything should sound, unfortunately sometimes different ideas, but that's part of the job, right? So, I had Lars sitting on my right and James sitting to my left and all I heard was, from the left: "The fvcking drums are killing me". From the right: "All I hear is the fvcking guitars". So I asked: "What about the bass?" Unanimous from the left and the right: "He is not here...!" Cliff did come in though to help mix a bass intro for one of the songs (Orion?)

Most of the tracks were transferred to 3M digital 32 track, but the drums where still on the 2". It was mixed on a 40 channel SSL4000 with the help of a Neve sidecar (used as a mixer only) and some other mixer (I think it was a Midas or Soundcraft). Some of the gear (hard to see in the pictures): Klark DN730(?) reverb, 2 Lexicon 480 Reverb (very little of those got used), some modified Pultec EQs, Orban 622Bs for the drums (still got 'em), a few UREI 1176, dBX 160s and 165s, Lexicon Prime Time 93 and Prime Time II 95, Quantec QRS, 2 AMS delays and a AMS reverb, GML EQ, a whole sh*tload of UREI 530 9 band graphic EQs for guitars, La2A, LA3A, Roland Dimension D, Eventide 910, MXR pitchtransposer etc. The attached picture is from the Dokken “Under Lock And Key” mix, but it was the same room with the same gear.

I had my Tannoy M3000 “Classic” monitors right on the meterbridge of the SSL (see picture, the big ones in the back), now they are sitting in my basement, for sale, freshly re-coned, want them?

If I remember it right, it took us about 2 weeks to mix the entire album. We had a bit of a holdup, because we were missing a 2” reel with the tracks for a tom fill and it had to be flown in from Denmark. Absolutely no triggers on the drums, that's the way they sounded.

The guitars were on 6 tracks: 2 tracks left (separate performances), two tracks right (separate performances) and one track each with just the low e-string for the chunk parts. Like I said, everything was recorded top notch so it was easy to mix.

As far as I remember nobody was on any heavy drugs during that time. I only saw the occasional beer, never ANY drugs.

That's about all I can remember...

Old 23rd November 2006
Gear maniac

Cool stuff Michael. Thanks for sharing. Nice pics too. But who is that skinny young kid with his foot on the console? An assistant? heh
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Let me see if I have this right... someone could actually buy the speakers that MOP was mixed on?

I am not a big Tannoy fan but I would buy them just for the f*ck of it to say that I had them ya know? Too cool.

Thanks again and again for sharing with us Michael.
Old 23rd November 2006

excellent stuff Mr Wagener!
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear nut

One of the things that more i love of this forum is that you can be speaking hand to hand with people.... who recorded and mixed the Mater of Puppets!

How many times i wondered " My god, how the **** did they get the sound? "

Definitively, internet surprises me everyday.....
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

I love this Forum!!!

heh heh
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey Michael,

hails from the north, Hamburg
I really respect your work so much

Just pure genious thumbsup

Eleo
Old 23rd November 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsmith64 View Post
Cool stuff Michael. Thanks for sharing. Nice pics too. But who is that skinny young kid with his foot on the console? An assistant? heh
heh That was right after I quit smoking, I was 147 pounds then (and 20 years younger) heh
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
heh That was right after I quit smoking, I was 147 pounds then (and 20 years younger) heh
And how much for these historical monitors used to mix one of my favourite albums?
Old 23rd November 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne_paranoid View Post
And how much for these historical monitors used to mix one of my favourite albums?
PM'd you
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as I remember nobody was on any heavy drugs during that time. I only saw the occasional beer, never ANY drugs.

That's about all I can remember...

Then what's that white powder in the plastic bag on the desk??? heh
Old 24th November 2006
High End Moderator

HaHa, that's not white power, it's actually a label on that plastic bag. As you can see we are in the mids of repairing one of the SSL channels and the bag contains parts. Looks funny, though heh
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

wow MW, I didn't know you mixed that record. Nice work Yes, I've been under a rock

What fx did you use on the vox on the title track?
Old 24th November 2006
Gear maniac

I am too interested in the monitors...
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
MXR pitchtransposer etc.
Sorry to add to the pile on of questions.
I studied that album like a grad student!
Anyways I would really like to know where the MXR pitchtransposer was used. Just a little bit of detail would be great!

-Scott
Old 24th November 2006
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
Sorry to add to the pile on of questions.
I studied that album like a grad student!
Anyways I would really like to know where the MXR pitchtransposer was used. Just a little bit of detail would be great!

-Scott
Scott

if it was used onMoP (the picture was actually from the Dokken "Under Lock And Key" mix) it was either on BG vocals or maybe on a guitar solo.
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Fade to Black is on Ride The Lightening, not Master Of Puppets.
Old 23rd December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblefoot View Post
Fade to Black is on Ride The Lightening, not Master Of Puppets.
And this thread is 7 years old
Old 23rd December 2013
High End Moderator

Wow, blast from the past. I love that really great albums never disappear. To the day I get questions about records we made in the 80s. I posted some session pictures from that time here:
https://www.facebook.com/michael.wag...0603926&type=3

Check it out.
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, that's some real history there! Thanks for sharing!

Dutchy
Old 23rd December 2013

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

I am getting a "This content is currently unavailable" message.

Love to see the pics!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search