The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will avid ever release a soft update that releases hd omni I/O expandability? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2014
Gear Addict
Will avid ever release a soft update that releases hd omni I/O expandability?

Just as the title says... What are your thoughts or insider info on it guys?

Don't get me wrong... I love the piece of gear and I do understand they want to restrict it to make more money with their other ada converters but wouldn't the omni be for a budget high end studio owner... One that would love to use all 8 inputs + 2mic pres?

You think this will or can happen?
Old 9th September 2014
Gear Addict
bump
Old 9th September 2014
Lives for gear

Probably not. The omni is perfect for the vast majority of its target group. Post rooms/editing suites - a couple of mic inputs for voiceovers and 8 outputs to cover all surround formats. Many ITB mix- and personal project/songwriters/producers studios are many fine with just one mic and two outs for monitoring. Add the ability for a couple HW inserts as a bonus.

Most tracking rooms with need for lots of inputs probably end up with the other interfaces anyway. So I think the omni is about right for who it is intended for. But I wouldn't mind an expanded one
Old 9th September 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Probably not. The omni is perfect for the vast majority of its target group. Post rooms/editing suites - a couple of mic inputs for voiceovers and 8 outputs to cover all surround formats. Many ITB mix- and personal project/songwriters/producers studios are many fine with just one mic and two outs for monitoring. Add the ability for a couple HW inserts as a bonus.

Most tracking rooms with need for lots of inputs probably end up with the other interfaces anyway. So I think the omni is about right for who it is intended for. But I wouldn't mind an expanded one
Yea I don't mind it either and love it! I have been thinking of adding more mic pres as I'm going to be getting back into larger sessions that need at least 10 mic pres. In order to do that now... I would need to purchase at least a digi 192d & a mid sized mixer with digital outs. That would be my cheapest option for decent quality... I think spending 5k for a high-end system.. they would at least release more options sometime in the future.

Any suggestions for a cheap 8 more preamp setup?
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear
I really wish they would - I actually write it in the suggestion box on EVERY avid user survey! I've heard tale (on the interwebs) that an ex-Avid engineer said it was entirely intentional to 'cripple' it and that having all 8 optical ins + the 4 analog could easily be implemented with a firmware upgrade... of course who knows if that's even remotely true.

I also wish Avid would upgrade the PRE to be 8 of the same OMNI preamps that actually has a digi connector on it so you could use it as a second interface of 8 clean pres... I think that + an omni would sell a ton and open the OMNI up to many more home studio users instead of concentrating on the post market. But, alas, it's avid so...
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search