The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event Opal - woofer excursion when switched off?
Old 7th September 2014
Here for the gear

Event Opal - woofer "thumps" when switched off?

Hello!

I bought a pair of Event Opals from Thomann.de and they arrived just a few days ago. I have to say that they sound absolutely incredible, so detailed and punchy - a pure joy to listen to, and no ear fatigue at all even after hours of playing music fairly loudly. I love them.

The only thing I have noticed is that whenever I switch them off, there is a slight "pop" just as the switch is flicked, and then a few seconds later the woofer moves back and forth slightly - about a 2cm excursion thump. It seems to be mainly the left one that does this where it happens almost at every shutdown, but I've seen the right one do it as well. It can also make a slight "purring" noise from the woofer as it shuts down.

It doesn't seem that dramatic at all, they both work like a charm and sound absolutely great, but it would be nice to know that everything is okay with them. Anyone with Opals (or other active monitors) have similar experiences during shutdown (woofer moving/thumping and purring noise)? All feedback is highly appreciated!
Old 8th September 2014
The exact same thing happens with both of my Opals upon shutoff. It's nothing to worry about. I've had mine for over 3 years and it's never harmed or been an issue with my enjoyment of these excellent monitors.

Congrats on your purchase! Great mixing times ahead for you!
Old 8th September 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot for the reply! I am enjoying them immensely, they really are incredibly musical and fun to listen to, and mixing is probably going to be a breeze considering how neutral they are. I've gone from a hi-fi setup consisting of two Dynaudio speakers and a Hegel amplifier that together cost more than double of what the Opals cost, and I can honestly say that the Opals sound better. It's quite shocking how much performance you get for the price for these, and the simple and no-nonsense nature to the pro-studio world is really refreshing. No cable matching headaches for instance.

By the way, I have received a reply from Event regarding this, and here's what they say:

"Hi 'my name'

Thanks for contacting us. Don't worry this is quite normal, it happens sometimes. It's just the capacitors discharging and it doesn't hurt the speakers at all. It's ok to leave the speakers on for a few hours but I think it's good practise to turn them off when you're not using them, however I don't think it really makes much difference. Regarding your question of which method will wear the speakers out quicker, I really don't know the answer to this one. We leave our Opals on all day here in this office but we turn them off at the end of the day when we go home.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Leigh Mapstone

Service & Support - Australia
RØDE Microphones / EVENT Electronics"

So it's basically capacitors discharging. I guess the fact that my left monitor does it more than my right is just a part of the normal variety of the speakers due to their design, and this is nothing to worry about. I get the impression from searching this forum that this perhaps is quite common.

But still, if you own a pair of Opals and have experience with the same stuff, please share!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search