The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
fatso relocated. now what??? :-) Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

fatso relocated. now what??? :-)

Been using the Fatso on my 2bus for a long time as sort of a tapeish thing and for the saturation it provides and sometimes mixing into the warmth sounds cool. no compression ever, and hardly the tranny.

So anyway, I just got a Anamod ATS-1 a few days ago and I love it. It is my new "tape thing", but that leaves me with the job of finding something to use the fatso on. It is truly a magic box, so I almost have too many options.

I should add that this is strictly for mixing, and not for tracking.

I know the obvious thing is that I will experiment and just mess around but the thing is in a weird way, I am so used to it as just this thing I run the mix through, I am semi-jaded with it, and almost it's hard for me to imagine what to do with it. I heard of some rock guys like Ben Grosse and Brendan O'Brien using it on "drums" but that's such a vague term. Is it on the overall drum bus/group? On consoles I guess with 9k there are multiple busses, but with 4ks I'm not sure how the routing would work? Though I guess there is a front and back I think. I'm not intimately familiar as my setup is hybrid with summing and outboard. I've always been scared of compressing drums as a group (different than parallel)… But let's say it is parallel, which is what I suspect, what are some useful settings? I'm really not super intimately familiar with the compression section as I have never used it.

I should also note that I have a pair of distressors, and a bunch of other outboard individual compressors, so I'm guessing the fatso would have to be like a group thing, as opposed to kick and snare, which I usually do (in parallel) with the distressors.

So anyway, for rock, what are some favorite uses for you guys? Please also be specific whether it is in parallel on as a whole bus thing. Lots of vague answers on there but the parallel vs. bus thing is a huge thing as far as different applications.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear
I use my FATSO on the drum buss now after, like you, having used it on my mix buss. I replaced it with a Cartec THC, so the FATSO does now do an excellent job on the drum buss, in fact it is a drum and BASS buss compressor for me. I use just a little compression, 2db-3db, and warmth on 2. I think it is a perfect use of the FATSO in mixing.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

so you send all drums and bass to it? sort of a multi buss compression thing?
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear
Yes exactly...give it a try. You could use it exclusively for the drums, but I mostly add the bass in there as well. I send it into a summing mixer, along with other stereo busses from the vocals, instruments, guitars etc.....
Old 8th September 2014
Yup. Fatso on the drum bus, or individual components of the drums (i.e. the stereo mix of the toms if you are grouping, across the OHs to take some harshness out, or individually on the snare top/bottom). Really cool piece.
Old 8th September 2014
Gear Nut

Mine is on the drum bus usually on Spank. Usually about 7-10 db of compression which I open up after with either RND 551s or 1a3's if it's not on my 2bus. Gives an awesome thump to the kick.

If I tracked it, I usually prefer this over individually compressing the kick and snare.

You really need to open it up afterwords, otherwise the compression will make it sound like a bundle of low-mids.

It's also great for keys on any brit rock mix that comes your way.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

Parallel drum buss with just the spank (and maybe tranny) on works great with UAD version. I expect it to be even better with actual hw.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

Like most if you, 75% of the time the Fatso stays on my drum buss, but the other 25% I use it my electric guitar buss to help gel the electrics together and take the bright edge off the top.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

Isn't compressing the drum bus a bit risky? Or is it better used without the compression.

It has a great tone even without compression, and it still sort of compresses. But I was thinking either just run all drums through is (drum buss) or use it for drastic compression as a parallel thing.
Old 8th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
Isn't compressing the drum bus a bit risky? Or is it better used without the compression.

It has a great tone even without compression, and it still sort of compresses. But I was thinking either just run all drums through is (drum buss) or use it for drastic compression as a parallel thing.
While I don't do it with a fatso, I almost always have my two Distressors as my drum bus compressor. Just to tame it slightly and add all the mojo Distressors have to it
Old 8th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post

Do you mean pumping/compressing too much of the lows? There's a built in scf I think. And I actually like the pumping for spank most of the time. I don't need highhats and cymbals upfront and I actually like how they duck, makes for a much more dynamic and clearer mix IMO. Also allows the snare to sound fat as hell.

Sometimes I won't route the overheads into the drumbus if I want to avoid pumping. But rarely.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

I don't remember the original fatso presets as I've had the UBK version for too long. That said the fatso is a device that softens elements and can make them thicker but in some ways, less present. This is rarely something i want to do to drums at mix time. The version I have has great use on guitars and pianos at mix time. If there is a compression setting with moderate attack, the tranny can provide its low mid awesomeness while the compressor can allow the guitar/piano attack to punctuate more while pulling the body of the sound in. It leaves some nice room for drums and bass to sit. If I used it in only one spot that would be my favorite.

Congrats on the anamod. Have always wanted to try one of those!

Russell
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search