The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series colored master buss EQ 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 3rd September 2014
500 series colored master buss EQ

Hey guys. Question:

I am setting up a 500 series rack for my master buss. I currently have the Eylsia xPressor and xFilter as my "clean ssl-ish" stereo buss set.

I also just got a sweet deal on a Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph, so Im looking for recommendations for an EQ set that would compliment a more "colored"...maybe a little darker...eq to pair with the DV, so that i have a clean master buss comp/eq and a colored master buss comp/eq. It doesn't have to be a stereo EQ of course.

Any recommendations?
Old 3rd September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraamb01 View Post
Hey guys. Question:

I am setting up a 500 series rack for my master buss. I currently have the Eylsia xPressor and xFilter as my "clean ssl-ish" stereo buss set.

I also just got a sweet deal on a Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph, so Im looking for recommendations for an EQ set that would compliment a more "colored"...maybe a little darker...eq to pair with the DV, so that i have a clean master buss comp/eq and a colored master buss comp/eq. It doesn't have to be a stereo EQ of course.

Any recommendations?
Try out a pair of Rupert Neve 542's
Its fairly easy to use a pair on the mix, for a "flava" injection.

Hit the 15ips button,

Love life,

peace
Old 3rd September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Try out a pair of Rupert Neve 542's
Its fairly easy to use a pair on the mix, for a "flava" injection.

Hit the 15ips button,

Love life,

peace
So i was wondering about those... i use UAD tape on my master buss inside Logic. Usually the AMPEX... would this be a better "replacement" to those plugins? I've heard mixed things about these tape saturators. Is it worth buying two for the master buss?
Old 3rd September 2014
Quote:
Hey guys. Question:

Any recommendations?
rupert neve designs 551
Old 3rd September 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I also just got a sweet deal on a Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph, so Im looking for recommendations for an EQ set that would compliment a more "colored"...maybe a little darker...eq to pair with the DV, so that i have a clean master buss comp/eq and a colored master buss comp/eq.
The Purple Audio LILPEQr has definite character and does the solid state Pultec style nicely.

The Great River Harrison 32 has definite character but would offer more control plus high and low filters, it has a vintage mode you can engage too.

The Avedis Audio E27 is a 3 band with more of a sweetened, subtle character but an excellent EQ all around.

The Kush and Tonelux 500 series offerings are stellar, but fall into the cleaner camp and you seem to be asking for very obvious character.

War
Old 3rd September 2014
Quote:
So i was wondering about those... i use UAD tape on my master buss inside Logic. Usually the AMPEX... would this be a better "replacement" to those plugins? I've heard mixed things about these tape saturators. Is it worth buying two for the master buss?
I've used them myself and really liked the result,
don't know what to say about the other comments,
Old 4th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The Purple Audio LILPEQr has definite character and does the solid state Pultec style nicely.

The Great River Harrison 32 has definite character but would offer more control plus high and low filters, it has a vintage mode you can engage too.

The Avedis Audio E27 is a 3 band with more of a sweetened, subtle character but an excellent EQ all around.

The Kush and Tonelux 500 series offerings are stellar, but fall into the cleaner camp and you seem to be asking for very obvious character.

War
Has anyone used the Inward Connections Brat 500s yet? They look really promising.
Old 4th September 2014
Not sure about the 'Dark EQ' requirement, once you cut some low mids, or add anything above 1khz it's not longer dark (if the circuit itself is even leaning that way). But for color, I'd look at the Chandler Lil Devil EQs. Major mojo, and the polar opposite of the Xfilter in vibe and function.
Old 4th September 2014
Electrodyne 511, A Designs EM-PEQ, [*manufacturer alert] Our RND 551 or Shelfords, and aforementioned 542's, Chandler's, Bettermaker... all good 'vibey' choices.

I quite like the API 560, Aengus, and the Purple Tav for vibe, but they wouldn't be easy to null or match on stereo stuff at all, plus a bit phasey for the St Bus.

Happy mixing!

Jonathan
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Nut

Any reason you're sticking to 500 series?

For me it would be the better maker even though I don't own one. Tested it alongside the retro 2a3 and electrodyne 511s amongst some other eq sand it was great.

I own two rnd 551s and while they are certainly keepers, I wouldn't use them on the master bus because of it's color. It's too smooth and the mid band isn't nearly sweet enough for me on the master bus. But I don't think its supposed to do that anyways.
Old 4th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
Any reason you're sticking to 500 series?

For me it would be the better maker even though I don't own one. Tested it alongside the retro 2a3 and electrodyne 511s amongst some other eq sand it was great.

I own two rnd 551s and while they are certainly keepers, I wouldn't use them on the master bus because of it's color. It's too smooth and the mid band isn't nearly sweet enough for me on the master bus. But I don't think its supposed to do that anyways.
Yeah i kind of need to stay in the 500 series for the time being because of space and budget constraints. That's not to say i wouldn't evolve into full rack down the road. If i had my druthers and a significantly disposable income, I'd be sporting a Millennia NSEQ and be done with it. I was wondering about the bettermaker. I've seen it but I've not heard much about it here on the forums. I don't really have a bead on how people feel about it.

At this point i think i've narrowed down to the following:

- GR Harrsion 32s

- Inward Connection Brat 500s

- the A Design PEQ (although those are a little steep and at that price point, It seems like I could get into a full rack unit of better quality.)

Other considerations:

-Bettermaker

- Purple lil'PEQr

- and maybe the MAAG EQ4, though i realize thats not quite as colored, I understand its pretty smooth.

Again for use primarily for mix buss, it would be nice to find something that is stepped or recallable, which makes the Brats and the bettermaker attractive.
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah i kind of need to stay in the 500 series for the time being because of space and budget constraints. That's not to say i wouldn't evolve into full rack down the road. If i had my druthers and a significantly disposable income, I'd be sporting a Millennia NSEQ and be done with it. I was wondering about the bettermaker. I've seen it but I've not heard much about it here on the forums. I don't really have a bead on how people feel about it.

At this point i think i've narrowed down to the following:

- GR Harrsion 32s

- Inward Connection Brat 500s

- the A Design PEQ (although those are a little steep and at that price point, It seems like I could get into a full rack unit of better quality.)

Other considerations:

-Bettermaker

- Purple lil'PEQr

- and maybe the MAAG EQ4, though i realize thats not quite as colored, I understand its pretty smooth.

Again for use primarily for mix buss, it would be nice to find something that is stepped or recallable, which makes the Brats and the bettermaker attractive.
The thing about the bettermaker is it's not so much color as it is vibe, so maybe you should skip this. The fact that it's a pultec style eq makes it great on the master bus though.

For me, personally, I would get the clariphonic. It's actually quite colored and it really sweetens things in the mids. They have a 500 series version also. Not sure if it's out yet but it won't cost much. I almost always prefer the bands on the clariphonic to my other eqs that cost up to three times as much. If you're dealing with a mono bass guitar you could still have some money left over for a single channel eq if you don't have one already to really drive the lows - depending on what type of rock (are you doing rock?) you're doing - something that has a great colored band around 200 hz (Chandler).

If the type of music you do requires a lot of sub bass, the SC filters on the DV are fantastic for letting sub bass come through, not to mentioned that, coupled with the weight the DV adds, can really give you some fantastic results.

Color is a funny word, and often times I can get the amount of color I need through a pretty clean but ballsy (SHDV) chain if I roll off the highs like a lot of commercial mastering houses do.

Anyways, my two cents. Hope this helps.
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I use API 550b on my mix buss and love them.
Old 4th September 2014
I think that maybe im using the word 'color' incorrectly in this context. Im thinking of color the way im thinking of color with the SH DV.... like someone said, it's not so much colored as it brings fattness, weight, and dimension to the party. I think maybe the better word to use is "vibe"... smoothness, warmth...
Actually the more I think about this... and the other thing that strikes me about the DV...is the immediacy of the workflow. The SH DV is great to work with because you can very quickly dial in your sound by just a/b-ing between positions... (click)"yes"... (click)"no"...(click)"yes"...(click) there it is. It would be nice to find an EQ that has a similar immediacy to it, dialing in troublesome frequencies or opening up favorable things quickly a/b quickly.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think that maybe im using the word 'color' incorrectly in this context. Im thinking of color the way im thinking of color with the SH DV.... like someone said, it's not so much colored as it brings fattness, weight, and dimension to the party. I think maybe the better word to use is "vibe"... smoothness, warmth...
Actually the more I think about this... and the other thing that strikes me about the DV...is the immediacy of the workflow. The SH DV is great to work with because you can very quickly dial in your sound by just a/b-ing between positions... (click)"yes"... (click)"no"...(click)"yes"...(click) there it is. It would be nice to find an EQ that has a similar immediacy to it, dialing in troublesome frequencies or opening up favorable things quickly a/b quickly.
Ah that is the clariphonic. Can't recommend it enough. No low end band though.
Old 5th September 2014
Both the MAAG EQ2 and EQ4 are stepped and sound great on the 2 buss.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
Ah that is the clariphonic. Can't recommend it enough. No low end band though.
But he wants something fast. He'll go nuts matching the sides. It's a real workflow killer and one of the main reasons I sold my Clariphonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Both the MAAG EQ2 and EQ3 are stepped and sound great on the 2 buss.
This is more like it
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
But he wants something fast. He'll go nuts matching the sides. It's a real workflow killer and one of the main reasons I sold my Clariphonic.

This is more like it
It depends whether or not you care about matching sides perfectly. If the fact that the left and right sides are not matched perfectly drives you nuts, then go for stepped gear only. Otherwise it's irrelevant.

For me, I listen to the center - kick, snare, vocals?bass - as long as they're grounded in the center I'm fine.

There are so many great pieces of gear I own that are not stepped - two pultec eqp 1a3s, an ad2055, fatso, just to name a few - none of these, including the clariphonic gives me problems.

To the OP, dialing in the clariphonic is extremely fast for me. I make sure I get the low end right first in relation to the low mids, and then the clariphonic works magic at the very end.

Oftentimes slight eq differences, especially in the mids and highs, will yield a more open mix. I hesitate to say widen the stereo image because it's so subtle, but it's something to that effect.

Obv you should try for yourself. You could pull up a plugin that let's you eq the right and left channels independently and vary one from the other slightly and see if it bothers you.
Old 5th September 2014
I use my EQ2 pair plus Obsidian on the 2 buss, then after I bring it back into PT at the end I use Waves Vitamin to pull the bass into the center to tighten up and spread the top a little.
Old 6th September 2014
Anyone have any experience with the Charter Oaks PEQ1? I know its not a 500 series, but it looks kinda cool.
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear
I got to hear the Bettermaker in action the other day. Very impressive, especially as it is 2 eqs in one. Kind if warm but tight at the same time
Old 6th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrowne View Post
I got to hear the Bettermaker in action the other day. Very impressive, especially as it is 2 eqs in one. Kind if warm but tight at the same time
Yeah im definitely interested in the Bettermaker. To be honest I've not had a ton of experience with pultec style EQs... correction, REAL pultec eqs. Ive played with the UAD plugins, but never heard a real one in action.
Old 6th September 2014
I've been interested in Bettermaker since they announced it. However, over a year later and they haven't shipped an AAX plugin. A big part of the attraction for me is the integration, and I exclusively am on PT11, so it's no sale for me at this point.
Old 7th September 2014
hey guys thanks for all of the feedback... but i wound up getting a spectacular deal on a Millennia NESQ2. No its not colored and no its not 500 series... but its a freaking NSEQ2 and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So I think my mix bus EQ problem is solved.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I've been interested in Bettermaker since they announced it. However, over a year later and they haven't shipped an AAX plugin. A big part of the attraction for me is the integration, and I exclusively am on PT11, so it's no sale for me at this point.
The AXX is out on Beta form some time. Reported minimum bugs that are already corrected. We will release the AXX anytime soon. But for the actual clients that want AXX, its already there, its just not on our site yet.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

JLM PEQ500's would be my pick. I really love them on certain mixes.

I gotta try the Bettermaker soon.
Old 8th September 2014
Now that I have the NSEQ coming, I might still get a pultec style thing just for touching the highs and lows, like the bettermaker or the A Design or such... or maybe the clariphonic?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search