The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lifting an MCI JH24 with its handles?
Old 28th August 2014
Here for the gear
Lifting an MCI JH24 with its handles?

I'm going to be moving my MCI JH24 in a few days. Zero stairs to go over, but I plan to lift it onto a dolly and roll it up the ramp of a UHaul truck. My question is -- is it safe to lift onto the dolly from the handles that are on the sides of the JH24? I know Studer A800 says right on the handles "not for lifting," but the MCI handles look a bit more sturdy. Thanks for any insight!
Old 28th August 2014
You can lift the JH-24 by the handles, but I would have four guys to do it. One on each handle.

I wouldn't trust the wooden slats bolted on the inner walls of a U Haul truck as the only place to tie down some ratchet straps. I would strap the JH-24 down, covering it in studio blankets first. Then I would cut up a 2 X 4 to the approximate width and depth of the machine. Use some long wood screws to screw the 2 X 4 pieces to the wooden floor of the truck against the wheels of the machine so it can't roll.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck!
Old 28th August 2014
Here for the gear
Thanks Timothy! Securing it to the floor is a great idea I wouldn't have thought of. Cheers!
Old 29th August 2014
Keep the analog dream alive...remember, you can't spell analog without "anal" or "log"...
Old 29th August 2014
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

All you have to do is hire me and you're golden.
Old 29th August 2014
Here for the gear
Teebs, I think I "invited" you to the effort about 2hrs ago? Now we know how to move the big beautiful beast better than we did last time when 5 of us scrawny folk lifted it in and out of an SUV and up and down stairs!
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

also watch for pot holes during the travel !

Would be nice if the unit could 'float' ...

always nerve racking moving this type of equipment.
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Isn't it on wheels? Mine is.
Old 29th August 2014
Here for the gear
Cubehead- Yeah but they're tiny and fragile, from my experience moving it around even within a few feet. Was reading today about them straight snapping off, in someone else's case. My 1/2" Studer A80 has big legitimate locking casters that move very well, on the other hand. Still going to take Timothy's advice on that one too and secure it to the floor of the truck.

RJH- I agree. Luckily it's only about a 2 mile drive on fresh main streets
Old 29th August 2014
Here for the gear

David-

You might consider removing the power supplies first, as they are heavy and tippy enough to cause major distress in transit. Everything else goes pretty well with handles and wheels. I only bring it up, as I had to repair a cable making the same kind of move not more than a month ago. :-) good luck!
Old 29th August 2014
The wheels should be strong enough. I had 2 JH-24s in a mobile truck for 15 years and they survived the pot-holed roads of Chicago!
Old 29th August 2014
I was gonna say that if anyone would know about moving a JH-24 it would be Tim! They aren't that fragile, it's surprising. I've moved one and barely had to touch the mechanical s. About 600 lbs of lifting guys... !
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Maniac

My wheels are big and sturdy. Mines a late model. 1988 I believe. Maybe they changed the wheels at some point.
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Addict

I would say definitely remove the power supplies, if you hadn't planned to. I've moved a JH-24 modded for 8-track, which is of course significantly lighter than a standard 24-track, and even with the lighter load, removing the psu's still saved us a lot of strength. The handles on the side are just fine for lifting the machine, and the wheels are okay for trips across outdoor surfaces if you move the machine slowly.

Cheers!

Turbo T.
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Guru

David, that is a great looking studio you have there, and fantastic list of gear, great choices! Even an MD1 (one of my favorite vocal mics). heh
Old 8th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Slutz, looking for an MCI tech in Florida.
For Jh-24 & 400 series console.
Mucho Thanx in advance, Jimi.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search