The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end compressor addition
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Magic death eye
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

We have a handful of these in our studios - the 179-170 is just a 19"2u stereolinked dual version of the 179-160 "danner"cassette. No real recapping needed so far, these are built like tanks for real pro stuff. I think I replaced an output opamp in one, that is pretty much it.

If playing with these, make sure to read the manual. There is a lot more to them than meets the eye.

/Jakob E.
Old 8th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
We have a handful of these in our studios - the 179-170 is just a 19"2u stereolinked dual version of the 179-160 "danner"cassette. No real recapping needed so far, these are built like tanks for real pro stuff. I think I replaced an output opamp in one, that is pretty much it.

If playing with these, make sure to read the manual. There is a lot more to them than meets the eye.

/Jakob E.
i have one coming in of these. I read only good things sofar, im curious to get it in my hands.

Another rare one is the DNA Dymand, do you have any experience with this?

I also bought a DBX 160SL, which works but last time it had an intermittend channel, where the compression did not worked on one channel. After a few minutes it kicked in, im not sure if this could be a VCA Problem or if it need calibration. Do you have experience with these?

I checked the Service Manual but the calibration procedure is about 40 pages long. Can you recommend someone for this kind of work?

I asked DBX but they are not longer supporting these? Kind of strange for such an pro level compressor.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Maybe Heritage Audio Successor (diode comp), on tube side look into Handcrafted Labs VariS..

best
Zed
Old 8th February 2020
I hear you on being disappointed with the WA76. I do think a good 1176 clone has its place though. Maybe a rev D and a Rev A. Since the D is cleaner its nice if you don't want to have the aggressive sound of the rev A all the time. A 1176 should open up the sound and give some harmonic content and weight. Seems like the WA's are bad? I had their pultecs and although they where nice, and felt sturdy. They too was a bit lofi and grainy. Sounded better in bypass to be honest

I really like my Cl1b. Very transparent, just the best dynamic controller I've used.

La3a are nice too, but not really worth it. If they where like 1k a piece but noway I'm paying 2k for one unit!
Old 4 weeks ago
Serpent Splice for 1176 sounds. POM PYE for an exact PYE clone. POM Fairchild for the best sounding, best value 670. Chandler RS 124 for gorgeous tone. Requisite audio for handcrafted Opto Tube excellence. Anything by Overstayer for crunchy fun. Thermionic Phoenix for the most slamming Vari Mu. Vertigo VSC 2/3 for the best, bounciest buss VCA bus comp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Gml 8900 .....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I also do not like the Warm Audio. For 1176 flavor, as a previous poster mentioned, the Serpent Splice is the way to go. The blue stripe mode on it is fantastic.

Given your list, I'd probably add something that would cover drums/percussive elements well, but also have other applications, such as:

Aurora GTC is fantastic on drums and 2 mix on the right tune. Great color.

ADR Compex is just about the best drum comp out there. Also nice on mix buss.

Distressors are always useful....

33609/2264 (Vintech 609CA is a great alternative)

the API 2500 is cool on drums (rooms especially)/piano/guitars and a good alternative to your Dramastic. In my experience, SSL styles usually work on more mixes than the API, but when the API works, it REALLY works.

Single channel stuff:

Retro 176- incredible on vocals and bass

I use LA-3As on almost everything.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search