The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series pre-amps for classical guitar? 500 Series Preamps
Old 24th September 2014
  #31
lol still struggling to decide! any thoughts?
Old 24th September 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
OliverV's Avatar
 

Lots of votes so far for the SMP-500.

And here's one more...

Like some others here, I sometimes use MA5 if the source lacks richness. I used a CAPI VP312 recently; the colour worked well in that particular context but I wouldn't generally pick it first. For a clean capture the Sonum H2O is a very decent and cheaper alternative but the Forssell is a step up.
Old 24th September 2014
  #33
I am still consistently blown away by the forssell. I actually bought a second now. When I do comparisons I pick the forssell 90% of the time now. It smoked my others on an ampeg bass cab the other day because it was tight and punchy without the usual muddy low mids and blooming notes that my other pres were giving off. With that said my 1073 won out on vocals the other day on a rock song so it helps to have variety. I have not heard a better pre for acoustic instruments yet.

Another fun thing was I tracked vocals through the forssell and the 1073 the other day and then applied the new UAD 1073 plug to the track and I was surprised at how close (if not better) it sounded to the BAE ( rackmount 1073 w/eq)

Fred is doing a deal on the 500 series modules right now too.
Old 24th September 2014
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleys100 View Post
I am still consistently blown away by the forssell. I actually bought a second now. When I do comparisons I pick the forssell 90% of the time now. It smoked my others on an ampeg bass cab the other day because it was tight and punchy without the usual muddy low mids and blooming notes that my other pres were giving off. With that said my 1073 won out on vocals the other day on a rock song so it helps to have variety. I have not heard a better pre for acoustic instruments yet.

Another fun thing was I tracked vocals through the forssell and the 1073 the other day and then applied the new UAD 1073 plug to the track and I was surprised at how close (if not better) it sounded to the BAE ( rackmount 1073 w/eq)

Fred is doing a deal on the 500 series modules right now too.
I couldn't find a single UK dealer when I looked anywhere, maybe I should email him.
Old 26th September 2014
  #35
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

You might be over thinking this While I may have a bit of bias towards the SMP500, there have been lots of good recommendations so far. Time to decide as it seems to be holding you up from making music. Best of luck
Old 26th September 2014
  #36
What he said

You would get a great sound out of any high end pre. But if we are splitting hairs, we all have our opinions
Old 27th September 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Has anyone mentioned the Martinsound MSS-10 yet? :P
Old 27th September 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
In the 500 series, I've got an MA5, Heritage 1073 500, and two Forssell SMP-500's.

I would recommend the Forssell for a clean, clear and uncolored but very beautiful sounding preamp, when that is what you are looking for. Excellent for steel string acoustic guitar, I'd imagine it would be just as nice for classical guitar.
Old 28th September 2014
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

There is no best or right preamp for recording classical guitar - the variables from one recording to another are too numerous to be able to break it down into "this pre for this guitar" etc. For example: there's the space you're recording in, the guitar, the artist, the mic technique, the repertoire ...

Essentially, (any) quality mic's and pre's will do the job - there was a time when people never really thought at all about the preamp, it was included in the board - mic selection was often limited too, but engineers did experimented some there.
Old 28th September 2014
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
There is no best or right preamp for recording classical guitar - the variables from one recording to another are too numerous to be able to break it down into "this pre for this guitar" etc. For example: there's the space you're recording in, the guitar, the artist, the mic technique, the repertoire ...

Essentially, (any) quality mic's and pre's will do the job - there was a time when people never really thought at all about the preamp, it was included in the board - mic selection was often limited too, but engineers did experimented some there.
I agree with you but what if I'm not quite happy with my pre-amps? at least I'm not stuck with them like the old days, I can buy new ones and have different flavours or variations lol I see your point though.
Old 29th September 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 

One that hasn't been mentioned that may be worth considering is the Hairball Audio - Gold. From the product description: "This is one of the highest quality clean and open pres available. Unlike the cheap transformeriess pres that come with many common audio interfaces, gold does not sound dull. It enables the kind of clarity and detail you'll only find with components of this calibre. It's the perfect pre for recording acoustic instruments and anything you'd like to remain true to the source."

It's only $340 (with the Grayhill rotary switches), but it's DIY. Comes with everything needed and thorough assembly instructions.
Old 29th September 2014
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
I couldn't find a single UK dealer when I looked anywhere, maybe I should email him.
forssell dealer? he sells direct I think.

you know..... he has designed many mic pres for other companies under different names you can look in to those also .

Great River MP-2MH is a good mic pre for classical music
Old 29th September 2014
  #43
I've finally decided on the millennia HV-35, now it's just a matter of SAVING the money and buying it :D
Old 29th September 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Cathedral Guitar's Avatar
If you are still looking for something with more color, to contrast from your current Audient preamps, I personally would not place the HV-35 is in that category.
Old 30th September 2014
  #45
Lives for gear
 

The Millennia is a transparent pre, so still a great choice for capturing acoustic instruments in honest detail. You can always pass the recording through another pre down the track if you decide it lacks its own sonic signature or whatever.
Old 2nd October 2014
  #46
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

depends on what you want but i would look at the;

A-Designs EM-BLUE
AML EZ1073
Forssell SMP-500
Great River MP-500NV
LaChapell's pres he has a couple.
Maag pre q4
Many other but these spring to mind.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 

I reckon the Hairball Audio Lola with hardy 990c+ op amps would be a pretty good choice too.
Old 3rd October 2014
  #48
Lives for gear
 

As someone's already mentioned the Weiss, I'll merely point out that noone seems to have asked what (to me, anyway) is a rather obvious question:

*** What mic/s is the o/p going to use? ***

(I hope it's not a SM7b )
Old 3rd October 2014
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper.real View Post
As someone's already mentioned the Weiss, I'll merely point out that noone seems to have asked what (to me, anyway) is a rather obvious question:

*** What mic/s is the o/p going to use? ***

(I hope it's not a SM7b )
lol it's not an sm7b!

I use a Neumann TLM103 for nearly everything, also a Neumann tlm193 when I need a darker sound, cheers
Old 3rd October 2014
  #50
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper.real View Post

*** What mic/s is the o/p going to use? ***

(I hope it's not a SM7b )
Actually, the SMP500 really opens up the 7b. I should post some acoustic guitar I did with that pair just for the sake of testing it awhile back
Old 30th October 2014
  #51
I got the original one I wanted rnd 511 in the end, I can always get a 'cleaner' pre in future but I'm very happy with it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump