The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion... Beautiful Studio Monitors
Old 2nd May 2015
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Why not give it a shot and see how you like it?

The job of an amp is to accurately reproduce a signal at greater amplitude. The better that two amps perform this job -- the better their output approximates the input -- the more alike they will sound. Two perfect amps would sound identical to each other, because they would both sound identical to the original signal.

This is a technical problem that has essentially been solved. Save yourself some dough.

HI-FI POWER AMPS vs. 'NIGHTCLUB' POWER AMPS
The 'problem' has been solved in a lot of different ways though, all of which interact with a given speaker in different ways, soooo.......basically it's a system of three parts (inc cables!), all interactive. So to say that the amp part is somehow immune to interaction with the other two and some sort of constant strikes me as absurd. And no, they don't end up actually sounding the same either. Absurd.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The 'problem' has been solved in a lot of different ways though, all of which interact with a given speaker in different ways, soooo.......basically it's a system of three parts (inc cables!), all interactive. So to say that the amp part is somehow immune to interaction with the other two and some sort of constant strikes me as absurd. And no, they don't end up actually sounding the same either. Absurd.
yeah
its a myth that all amp sounds the same

I have right now 8 amp at home. they all sound different.

a simple cyrus one with the one18 sounds glorious BTW.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cualli View Post
Thanks for the reply! I just ordered one18's with the cables and amp 500, should be here in a week or so. I'm going see what the crown sounds like vs. the Amphion amp. I don't have a problem keeping the Amphion amp but saving a couple of stacks would not be bad either if the crown performs well.

I'm so hyped to listen through them! nom nom nom
This will be a cool comparison. All I can add to this part of the discussion is.....I am running Mogami speaker wire between my Adcom GFA545 Williams modded and One18's and it sounds great. Perhaps when I can free up some more cash in a few a months I will get an Amp100 and check out the difference.
Of course what I really want down the road is a set of Two15's . That will come I am sure just not at this minute.
Old 2nd May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
yeah
its a myth that all amp sounds the same

I have right now 8 amp at home. they all sound different.

a simple cyrus one with the one18 sounds glorious BTW.
Ironically, the Cyrus 1 was the amplifier that showed me
1. there could be a meaningful difference between amplifiers and
2. how little value there is in a superficial reading of specs. The amp I was replacing with it was rated at three times the power, yet I could get no more useful level out of it than I could from the Cyrus 1.

Up to the point I bought it, I could not understand what to do to improve my home stereo system and had just bought a more powerful amp than I previously had (both NADs - this was 25 years ago). The salesman convinced me to "just take home" the Cyrus and listen over the weekend. I put a record on and went to the kitchen to make some tea. The very first note caught my attention (Oscar Peterson trio) and I raced back into the living room. Suddenly I liked my stereo again. My first thought was "there's nothing wrong with my speakers" (I had designed them and I though that might be the problem).

So, yeah, that was an epiphany for me and I became an evangelist for Mission Cyrus amps and the importance of amps in general for the next few years.

By the way, the hot tip at the time within Mission was that the best sounding set up of all was a pair of Cyrus 1s used in a vertical bi-amp configuration, and that's what a lot of Mission employees did.
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
Ironically, the Cyrus 1 was the amplifier that showed me
1. there could be a meaningful difference between amplifiers and
2. how little value there is in a superficial reading of specs. The amp I was replacing with it was rated at three times the power, yet I could get no more useful level out of it than I could from the Cyrus 1.

Up to the point I bought it, I could not understand what to do to improve my home stereo system and had just bought a more powerful amp than I previously had (both NADs - this was 25 years ago). The salesman convinced me to "just take home" the Cyrus and listen over the weekend. I put a record on and went to the kitchen to make some tea. The very first note caught my attention (Oscar Peterson trio) and I raced back into the living room. Suddenly I liked my stereo again. My first thought was "there's nothing wrong with my speakers" (I had designed them and I though that might be the problem).

So, yeah, that was an epiphany for me and I became an evangelist for Mission Cyrus amps and the importance of amps in general for the next few years.

By the way, the hot tip at the time within Mission was that the best sounding set up of all was a pair of Cyrus 1s used in a vertical bi-amp configuration, and that's what a lot of Mission employees did.
yeah, cyrus one is smh very good, very musical and dynamic enough. its also quite detailed with decent soundstage.
its not high end, but still good and fun as hell .

amps are SO important for me. a amp can kill a good speaker, can make a good source and good speakeer sound unmusical, hard, slow, ect. Ive heard so many amps, they all sound different and some are good and some are bad and can quite kill a good setup.
dont cheap out on amps!!!!
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
yeah, cyrus one is smh very good, very musical and dynamic enough. its also quite detailed with decent soundstage.
its not high end, but still good and fun as hell .

amps are SO important for me. a amp can kill a good speaker, can make a good source and good speakeer sound unmusical, hard, slow, ect. Ive heard so many amps, they all sound different and some are good and some are bad and can quite kill a good setup.
dont cheap out on amps!!!!
I do completely agree, Amp are so over important.
That can bring your system with the same passive loudspeakers from trivial to nirvana!!!
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

"My first impression of the One18’s was the wide spread of the sweet spot. I can mix comfortably, sitting anywhere around the console. The natural tone and frequency response allowed me to achieve 12-hour-long sessions, with no fatigue. Excellent speakers!!"

Norberto Islas
6 time Grammy Winner, 10 time Grammy Nominee
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion... Beautiful-norberto-islas.jpg  
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Larabee's new studio has two18's (or two15's?) in it...
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion... Beautiful-image_428_0.jpg  
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
Larabee's new studio has two18's (or two15's?) in it...
I believe those are Two18's. Ya Bryce mentioned earlier Manny Marroquin joined the burgeoning crowd of converts . Ya. I said converts these monitors are just show stopping.
Ya I am spouting superlatives I just can't help it. I had demoed a set of One18's here for the last three and a half weeks. I did my final showdown between my old monitors and the One18's . The old monitors did not last a bar into the song.
A coengineer and I just looked at the old monitors and went what happened.
We then tested mixes of the same song one mix done on the old monitors and one done on the One18. While the old mix sounded good the Amphion mix was just better.
After using the One18 for awhile the old monitors just sounded broken.
I had made good mixes on them too! lol Though the Amphions are just at a whole different level.

These monitors are so nice to write and mix on that I find myself ignoring other stuff around me because they suck me into the process.
Not in a bad way, more like getting more things done faster.

Ya this has probably been said before but I do think these Monitors are a phenomena and it's not hype it's just shocking reality.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Are there any revision models on the Amphion one and two series?
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwet View Post
Are there any revision models on the Amphion one and two series?
Great question. I think the only revision was to the One15's. I think they didn't start out with a passive radiator. They have one now.

Not sure about the amps. I think they're the same.
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Now that vintage king is a dealer I'm hoping to hear some. I haven't contacted the Nashville store to see if/when they will have some setup. Going to do that next week.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Other fun tip I've realized with the One15's...

I can have them quite loud all day (80-90db) and ZERO fatigue. Its fun to work louder ....on NS10's I always had to have it turned down in the 65-80db range otherwise my ears would just be completely bagged by the end of the day. I still check stuff at lower levels, but I'm having a blast by having the music at a healthy volume and not getting fatigued or requiring a break just to make it through the day. Its definitely nice when you can 'feel' it a little more...

One15's are the bomb for mixing though - they really make you work, but its so rewarding once you get it across the finish line. The Two18's sound 'better'/bigger and are nicer to make broad overall strokes, but the One15's are ruthless in a nice way when it comes to making sure a mix 'works'.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyisdead View Post
As well, I think it's time to up my game.
Thanks in advance for your precious advice!

Cheers,
Andy

From what you've described i'd say give the Unity Audio Rocks a try. Love em and the bass is incredibly revealing and tight. They're a pleasure to work on.
Old 8th May 2015
Geariophile

Quote:

I can have them quite loud all day (80-90db) and ZERO fatigue. Its fun to work louder ....on NS10's I always had to have it turned down in the 65-80db range otherwise my ears would just be completely bagged by the end of the day. I still check stuff at lower levels, but I'm having a blast by having the music at a healthy volume and not getting fatigued or requiring a break just to make it through the day. Its definitely nice when you can 'feel' it a little more...

One15's are the bomb for mixing though - they really make you work, but its so rewarding once you get it across the finish line. The Two18's sound 'better'/bigger and are nicer to make broad overall strokes, but the One15's are ruthless in a nice way when it comes to making sure a mix 'works'.
one15's rock hard. Mix tools extraordinaire indeed.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac
WOW!!! I tested the new Amphion BaseOne25's

Hi sluts.

Just wanted to share some love for an upcoming product...
I had a chance to test the (not yet released) Amphion BaseOne25 lowend extension system with my One18s.

Musikmesse 2015: Amphion Unveils BaseOne25 LF Extension System

I have to say that I've only a few times in my life been so amazed...Now waiting for these to be released like a child waits christmas ...

During my 15 years in this mixing / recording business I haven't heard anything that comes even remotely close. I've worked in studios that have subwoofers with nearfields or fullrange mid/farfields... you most of the time get the lowend info bu often it's (or at least has been in the places I've been in) somehow weak or disconnected from the sound if you know what I mean.

With the BaseOne25s I for the first time had the confidence to trust every decision I made for the lowend since I really could hear everything happening down there....The feeling was same than when doing FOH with a good and well tuned PA. Everything is in the right place. Finally it's possible to know how the mixes sound in a big system (club / disco PA or such), also mixing lowend was SO easy...No guessing, no doublechecking...Just quickly doing the good stuff and it's there .

I'm not working for Amphion, so I have no info about release dates, prices or technical details...Of course I asked Anssi (Mr. Amphion who by the way is a super-cool guy and a real gentleman) about these but he couldn't give me exact answers yet. The reason I got to test these is that Finland (where both me and Amphions are from) is quite a small country and Anssi wanted to have some user feedback from trusted and good-eared engineers here. I happen to be one of those .

So, no marketing BS or business strategies here...Just wanted to draw your attention to something that caught mine and forced me to replan my studio investments for this year.

All the best to everybody!

-- Mikko

Last edited by mherrane; 8th May 2015 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Wrong project name
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm excited to hear pricing and availability on these!
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Sh*t I screwed the subject SubOne -> BaseOne...Hope the gods of mixing aren't too angry .
Old 8th May 2015
Engagement Manager

I thought the name had changed!
I've corrected the title now
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

She is gonna be so mad when she sees the credit card bill.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

This is bad news...(in a good way )

any word on price yet, and what might be the ideal pairing with the BaseOne 25's?
I thinking the Two15's with the BaseOne 25's might hit the sweet spot for various genres...
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

I'm running the one18s with a parasound a21 ... I see some users saying the amp500 is a nice fit... Would it be worth it to try the amp500 or would I be wasting time?
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac
I suppose the best fit depends on your room...? At least the One18s in my treated but not near perfect control room seemed to be a perfect fit.
I honestly never thought this room could ever sound so good, I mean that the lowend would sound so clear and controlled. I was able to mix at speaking volume and still hear (and feel) everything that was happening in the lowend. Also of course when cranking the volume up, you get the "Club PA feel". You can easily adjust the BaseOne25s level and bypass on the amp, Although the test unit didn't have one, Anssi told me it's possible to bypass with a footswitch, which for me is a big workflow plus so it's like changing from fullrange environment to the "near-field environment".

Also although I've already considered One18s very detailed, with the BaseOne25s the detail in the "most energetic areas" (60-120 or so) (both when mixing and when listening to references) was something I personally haven't heard before so it's more than just a "last missing octave" thing.

A definite must-have for me when they are released. I'm also very curious about the pricing but couldn't get any answers for that at least yet.

-- Mikko
Noise Floor Studios / 5By5
5by5 - Etusivu
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromagnon View Post
I'm running the one18s with a parasound a21 ... I see some users saying the amp500 is a nice fit... Would it be worth it to try the amp500 or would I be wasting time?

I've used both.

Different sounds... Amp500 is cleaner sounding and maybe a touch more open in the lower mids. More even sounding. And very smooth.

The Parasound has more micro transient detail/punch, and maybe more beefy low end. A touch more dynamic/thick. A touch more forward in the upper mids.

I think both are super high quality amps, just different topologies and with that comes different character.

Also I have a Bryson 3B ST - it's more like the Parasound, but with less beef/thickness and more mid forward. Class A as well so it has that same kind of micro transient punch (maybe even more so). It's the least even sounding of the bunch but nice for mixing as the mids are forward.

If you can't mix with either of these paired with Amphions, the problem ain't the gear...

Last edited by spencerc; 8th May 2015 at 03:21 PM..
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Dave Reitzas on Amphion: “Beautiful, accurate, honest, inspiring!”

Los Angeles, CA
Finland-based high end loudspeaker manufacturer Amphion is honored to announce that multiple Grammy and Platinum award-winning engineer Dave Reitzas has chosen to purchase an Amphion monitoring system for his room in Studio C in world-renowned Westlake Recording Studios.

“I make thousands of calculated decisions throughout a full day to improve the music I'm mixing. The sound from the monitors to my ears is the final part in the chain that guides those choices,” states Reitzas. “The Amphion system gives me complete confidence that those decisions I make in the studio are going to translate accurately to the outside world.”

Reitzas has worked side by side with some of the greatest artists, producers and musicians of the last century (including Barbra Streisand, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, David Foster, Seal, Gloria Estefan, Frank Sinatra, Natalie Cole, Josh Groban, Michael Bublé and a whole lot more), so what they hear in his studio is extremely critical. “One of the best things I find about the Amphions is that the sound remains balanced and defined throughout the room,” Reitzas clarifies. “The artist or the producer doesn't have to be in the sweet spot to feel the benefits of these monitors. The whole room is the sweet spot!”

After evaluating several Amphion models, Dave chose the dual 6.5” woofer Two18 (paired with Amphion’s Amp500), influenced in part by their familiar sound. He explains: “They say that if you can make a song sound great on Yamaha NS10s, it will sound great everywhere, As an engineer for over 30 years, I know how to mix on NS10s…and the Amphions are like NS10s on steroids”.

Reitzas will also add a set of smaller Amphions to his home studio. “A perfect companion to my critical listening needs,” he summed up. “Monitors I can trust!"

With more than three decades and countless hit records under his belt, Dave’s most recent platinum award was for mixing the song “Earned It” by The Weeknd for the blockbuster film “50 Shades of Grey”. His extensive history and discography can be viewed at reitzas.com.

Amphion was founded in 1998 with the vision of creating systems that allow musicians, engineers and music enthusiasts to experience the creativity, energy and emotion in their music.
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion... Beautiful-reitzas-two18.jpeg   Amphion... Beautiful-two18-dave-reitzas.jpg  

Last edited by Bryce; 8th May 2015 at 06:13 PM..
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you tried the tho15 as well?
Not sure yet if the two18 is perfect for my room but I tend to prefer the feel of a bigger speaker.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Have you tried the tho15 as well?
Not sure yet if the two18 is perfect for my room but I tend to prefer the feel of a bigger speaker.

No unfortunately not. But I'm totally happy with the combo of One15 and Two18's for small/big's.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromagnon View Post
Basked on what I've heard with external amps, you would be remiss not to try the Amp500 with any Amphion speaker. It just sounds "correct" like part of a system.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I'm returning to this thread as I now have a pair of One18 and the Amphion 100w/ch amp in my possession; they've been in my studio the past few days and I've been mixing on them. And giggling like a schoolgirl because of what I can hear on them.

Today, I loaded into my favorite room here in Seattle for a week of tracking and mixing and brought the Amphion rig with me. The room has NS10s and 1032s, and while I've worked here for years, I never felt like I could really tell what was happening in the monitoring. After tracking all day, I can see that won't be the case with the One18s. I could make proper decisions about mic placement and EQ in this control room in a way I've never felt comfortable before (this is my favorite tracking space, but hasn't ever been a favorite for mixing or mix decisions).

We are here for the rest of the week wrapping up an EP and I can't wait to hear how the mixes translate. If they are as good as what I've been getting from these speakers in my room, I'll really be convinced that these monitors are not hiding anything.

1. That sure is a nice looking pic!
2. It says that the speakers are intended for 30w to 150w. Have you by chance had any chance to test it out with different wattages and if so have you noticed any response changes? I'm seriously considering grabbing a pair of these and building a hifi single ended stereo tube amp to run them, meaning I will be much closer to 30w than 150w. Obviously, with an 85db sensitivity rating I might be looking at headroom issues, but I just wanted to ask on the off chance that you had done any testing.

I've been wanting to build a single ended stereo hifi amp floating around in my head running KT120's soooooo bad.......=)

EDIT* - And I just realized that I responded to a post from 2014 on page 1 of a 49 page thread.....oops
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
No unfortunately not. But I'm totally happy with the combo of One15 and Two18's for small/big's.
Then if the two15 is like a bigger one15 I can guess they would be a nice in between sort of speaker.

The two18 are really nice but can be soft at times in room, I feel like they would be better in a bigger room with more distance, they sound great at higher SPL though and I like the "size " of the sound.
I'll try the other models eventually, I'll let you know my impressions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search