The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaudiopro View Post
It is definitely not just a playback thing because I measured them as well. Even according to the frequency response chart on the Amphion website it shows quite a bump in that region. Now I know Amphion are honest in their measurements at least I just didn't expect it to be so pronounced.
FWIW I made a (very) small EQ cut in that range on my One15's. It is a subtle EQ move but was just the ticket for me. Everyone's room and ears are different though..... YMMV
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf View Post
Interesting! I too have boxed up my mono Avantone Mixcube with the intention to sell it since getting my one 15s. I never liked the sound of the mixcube and only found it useful for mixing in a really backwards sort of way...like squinting your eyes when looking at something to make it blurry and get another perspective. But since setting up the one 15s and switching back and forth from the mixcube, I can't imagine what of use it would tell me in the way of truth obscured by the amphions.

That said, it feels odd to not have another set of speakers to switch to. I do still have my HR824s, but they're set up in a different part of the room and solely intended for loud playback for the band. What do you like about the Klipschs for a B speaker - what do they inform you about that's useful? I'd be down for a cheap decent B speaker but still trying to ascertain what I'd use it for and the extent to which it'd be useful.
The Klipsch are sort of "hifi" low end speakers. I feel like so many people are enjoying music on systems like this - Sonos, Apple and Google speakers etc.

Go read some reviews on them but if you look up "Best Computer Speakers 2020" they're at the top of most lists just because they're so inexpensive and sound great for the money. I've got mine level matched with the Amphions so I just swap back and forth. The sub fills in the lower octave on them nicely in my room. They're also very bright on the top end - above 10Khz. So again, it's showing you how things will pop on those little "hifi" systems.
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
FWIW I made a (very) small EQ cut in that range on my One15's. It is a subtle EQ move but was just the ticket for me. Everyone's room and ears are different though..... YMMV
Yes if needed, depending on room and reflections and modes. Shouldn't be a big cut.

The One15 low mid bump is gentler at about + 1.5 dB and higher up than the Two15 (lower down between 100 and 200 Hz) reaching +2.5

As an example Gennies 8341 (another good contemporary nearfield) keep it around or under +1 dB.

Two18 are flatter down there.
Gear Guru

Will depend a lot on placement too. Like, if they are too far together it will likely lump out. Pull apart just a tiny bit more and see. Plus mine react a LOT to cable in the belly respect. Their belly was massively bigger when I fed the amp with Van Damme Starquad cables than it is now with Grimm TPR. Everything matters with these puppies.
Old 22nd October 2020
Gear Maniac

I guess the best way to answer everyone's question as to what I am looking for in a 'B' speaker to my Two18s is to say that I am looking for something that does that beautiful "Amphion" thing, but differently. What I mean by that is the clinical, precise, deep 3D/holographic imaging thing that Amphion's do that let you peer deep into the mix and pick out each individual piece. I would love to find a monitor that does all this, but just a little differently than the Two18s.
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaudiopro View Post
I guess the best way to answer everyone's question as to what I am looking for in a 'B' speaker to my Two18s is to say that I am looking for something that does that beautiful "Amphion" thing, but differently. What I mean by that is the clinical, precise, deep 3D/holographic imaging thing that Amphion's do that let you peer deep into the mix and pick out each individual piece. I would love to find a monitor that does all this, but just a little differently than the Two18s.
Don't give up on the One15's quite yet! Try different positioning etc. It sounds like they are what you are after. If you cant find a positioning that reduces the hump, then use an EQ with a slight cut - that will clear them right up. Also, have you burned them in properly? They are a bit closed in and tubby in the beginning, but relax into an open, precise stereo field with time. Frankly, once they sound right, you will not believe how that amazing sound can come from such a small speaker. And that supertight bottom end!

When you get the One15's to sound as they should, they are magnificent. Super clear, tight, precise. Someone described it perfectly a long ways back in this thread; "like daylight". So don't give up until you get there, or at least close. Amp100 are a perfect match for them, since it's lean and clean and therefore doesn't aggrevate the low mid hump unnecessarily. I'm thinking that maybe the Amp700 (that several people have said is more meaty/thick in the lows) could perhaps be part of the cause.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of the mix cubes along with the two18s. Because I use them _very sparingly_, like in a mono EQ test between a limited number of sources or to find out what a mix sounds like through imperfect sources, they seem to meet the need. I tend to use them less and less, and probably could get by without anything else besides the Amphions.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. View Post
Don't give up on the One15's quite yet! Try different positioning etc. It sounds like they are what you are after. If you cant find a positioning that reduces the hump, then use an EQ with a slight cut - that will clear them right up. Also, have you burned them in properly? They are a bit closed in and tubby in the beginning, but relax into an open, precise stereo field with time. Frankly, once they sound right, you will not believe how that amazing sound can come from such a small speaker. And that supertight bottom end!

When you get the One15's to sound as they should, they are magnificent. Super clear, tight, precise. Someone described it perfectly a long ways back in this thread; "like daylight". So don't give up until you get there, or at least close. Amp100 are a perfect match for them, since it's lean and clean and therefore doesn't aggrevate the low mid hump unnecessarily. I'm thinking that maybe the Amp700 (that several people have said is more meaty/thick in the lows) could perhaps be part of the cause.
Yes to all that. It is so easy to do, it is almost to be expected that you are underestimating just how much these react to things upstream. I know I wasn't in any way aware how much until I started tinkering with things like cables etc. and then you go wow, really? And you realise they showed you the whole chain's sound, not 'their' sound so much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So I actually did a quck amp test with the Amp 100 and the Adcom. The Amp 100 is very clean and transparent. The Adcom is still transparent but has a little extra. I remember from our tests a few years back. Now seeing as there are many of us using Adcom’s with One15’s it does not seem I need to Keep the Amp100 around.

It will most likely be leaving this afternoon with the One18’s someone is going to get themselves a great deal on a full setup.

I also did a quick test between my One18’s and One15’s. I am amazed at the amount of Bass the One15 can handle they did their woofer movement thing which totally was like ok dial it back a bit.
I will say I do like and have grown quite accustomed to how stuff sounds through the One18’s and the One15 definitely had the smaller tighter feel going on I will probably grow to like them more as I get used to working with them. Not to say I do not like them, Its just a bit different. Of course it got me thinking about Two15’s again lol. Does it ever end? Yes it can.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic View Post
I will say I do like and have grown quite accustomed to how stuff sounds through the One18’s and the One15 definitely had the smaller tighter feel going on I will probably grow to like them more as I get used to working with them. Not to say I do not like them, Its just a bit different.
It's a sort of miniature world. I love that world. Trickling out at medium jogging pace.
Here for the gear

Mid field for one 18

Hey guys, I have amphions one 18 with amp 700.
I like them, but sometimes I feel that I don’t hear enough.
And now I think about mid field speakers as a complementary. I thought about kh 310, but not sure that is good combination.
What do you think about it ? And would you recommend me mid field speakers for one 18 ?

P.s. my room has 25 square meters and treated
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmfrlv View Post
Hey guys, I have amphions one 18 with amp 700.
I like them, but sometimes I feel that I don’t hear enough.
And now I think about mid field speakers as a complementary. I thought about kh 310, but not sure that is good combination.
What do you think about it ? And would you recommend me mid field speakers for one 18 ?

P.s. my room has 25 square meters and treated
Maybe try the one18's further away and further apart as THEM being the mid fields first and see what that does if you have room? And then maybe add near fields. lol

All I know is those one18's LOOK like you want to position them as standard near fields a la NS10 etc when you look at the box, but from what I heard they throw their most amazing world from further away and a distance apart that looks a bit funny. If the room can accommodate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thought I would share. Two18 / Amp700 Bundle for sale...

Amphion Two18 - Pair
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Anyone using a Bryston 4B with One18? Wondering if I can use these or need to get a 500 or 700
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 View Post
Anyone using a Bryston 4B with One18? Wondering if I can use these or need to get a 500 or 700
Bryston are one of the best amplifier companies in existence. I’d take old school class AB over class D any day.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf View Post
Interesting! I too have boxed up my mono Avantone Mixcube with the intention to sell it since getting my one 15s. I never liked the sound of the mixcube and only found it useful for mixing in a really backwards sort of way...like squinting your eyes when looking at something to make it blurry and get another perspective. But since setting up the one 15s and switching back and forth from the mixcube, I can't imagine what of use it would tell me in the way of truth obscured by the amphions.

That said, it feels odd to not have another set of speakers to switch to. I do still have my HR824s, but they're set up in a different part of the room and solely intended for loud playback for the band. What do you like about the Klipschs for a B speaker - what do they inform you about that's useful? I'd be down for a cheap decent B speaker but still trying to ascertain what I'd use it for and the extent to which it'd be useful.
+1, Avantone mix cubes sold after one 15, no alternative speakers yet
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Flexbase

So I've been using the Flexbase for about a month now. It integrated seamlessly with my One18s and allows me to really "feel" the low end. I thought about saving money and going with the Rythmic subs but one of my favorite features of the Flexbase is that it automatically crosses over the speakers so I don't need any extra bass management system and therefore keep the chain as simple as possible. The whole setup goes much louder now which is great for tracking/client pleasing but I enjoy the fact that I don't have to worry as much if the bassist decides to unplug without asking .
Anyway, so far very impressive, super tight sound on this thing. I've got it crossed over at 105hz with just enough volume to continue linearly where my speakers stop. The dial is some kind of digital potentiometer I believe. It's stepped with a few points in between the printed numbers as well.
Also, this thing is all of 140lbs. I don't know the kilos but basically try lifting a small/medium adult and placing behind desk. I was impressed that it has built in isopucks on the bottom which I hadn't noticed in any pictures before. I've messed around with the width control but honestly I only noticed a difference when the sub was crossed over higher.
I was also able to move my speakers off the wall a bit because I no longer needed the extra bass reinforcement the wall provided when using the Flexbase. That in itself improved my front to back depth and I seem to hear reverb tails with more clarity. I would say I am happy with my purchase and I can't wait to mix more to see how much better or worse my mixes translate now.
So my friend has loaned me his two15s and I've been pitting them against my one18s. I have been listening carefully as well as making many tests in REW. I'm looking forward to sharing with you my subjective and objective results but that will be a post for another time
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreisless View Post
So I've been using the Flexbase for about a month now. It integrated seamlessly with my One18s and allows me to really "feel" the low end. I thought about saving money and going with the Rythmic subs but one of my favorite features of the Flexbase is that it automatically crosses over the speakers so I don't need any extra bass management system and therefore keep the chain as simple as possible. The whole setup goes much louder now which is great for tracking/client pleasing but I enjoy the fact that I don't have to worry as much if the bassist decides to unplug without asking .
Anyway, so far very impressive, super tight sound on this thing. I've got it crossed over at 105hz with just enough volume to continue linearly where my speakers stop. The dial is some kind of digital potentiometer I believe. It's stepped with a few points in between the printed numbers as well.
Also, this thing is all of 140lbs. I don't know the kilos but basically try lifting a small/medium adult and placing behind desk. I was impressed that it has built in isopucks on the bottom which I hadn't noticed in any pictures before. I've messed around with the width control but honestly I only noticed a difference when the sub was crossed over higher.
I was also able to move my speakers off the wall a bit because I no longer needed the extra bass reinforcement the wall provided when using the Flexbase. That in itself improved my front to back depth and I seem to hear reverb tails with more clarity. I would say I am happy with my purchase and I can't wait to mix more to see how much better or worse my mixes translate now.
So my friend has loaned me his two15s and I've been pitting them against my one18s. I have been listening carefully as well as making many tests in REW. I'm looking forward to sharing with you my subjective and objective results but that will be a post for another time
Please let me know how the Flexbase fares with the Two 15's crossed over. Super interested in this combo for my space!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Please let me know how the Flexbase fares with the Two 15's crossed over. Super interested in this combo for my space!
In my room it’s a great match. The Flexbase25 pairs seamlessly with the Two15. I actually get a slightly better measured response with these than with the One18 + Flexbase combo, particularly in the 100-300hz region. I had the Flexbase first so I don’t know the Two15 very well on their own, but after working like this for a while I can’t imagine mixing without that sub goodness.

I have one concerning peak in my room and it’s @ 32hz which thankfully is lower than most of the material I mix but I can still “feel” it on some music. The sub has exacerbated the issue raising the peak 5 or so db. It’s really not too big a deal because I am consciously aware of it while mixing. I just want to be clear that if your room has low end issues, you should take care of them before purchasing a low end extension system. That being said, I’ve never had a sub in my room that performed this well!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Great info in this thread, tried to read as much as I could...Interested to hear some feedback from people who are familiar with ATC and Amphion. I am considering an Amphion Two 18 w/ BaseTwo25s or a pair of ATC SCM50ASLs. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl43 View Post
Great info in this thread, tried to read as much as I could...Interested to hear some feedback from people who are familiar with ATC and Amphion. I am considering an Amphion Two 18 w/ BaseTwo25s or a pair of ATC SCM50ASLs. Thoughts?
Some people will chime with greater experience than me probably. SpencerC maybe.
I was in a small room and producing my own music, so bear in mind I haven't made 1000 masters on those puppies, like some people here.

But I came from ATC and loved the mids, yet they are something spectacular hence, noticeable, it's a bit different than Amphion. The Amphion share mid quality but it's glued to the rest and articulated, just amazing. Both great design. The SEAS tweeter was pretty neutral, and the bass is quite tight so they might appear "mid forward" as a result. depends on the room of course. But the mids stands out in a way.

I had One18 and SCM50 ( and then SCM150) both ATCs with SEAS tweeters, and I'd bet SCM50 don't put out more bass than the Two 18 alone. SCM50 are VERY tight in the bass, (but they can't be super loud, fantastic headroom). I got used to the bass and loved them.

Even the SCM150 ( like all ATC) are controlled in the sub bass area, they go down way deep, undistorted: heard, not so much "felt". Even my PMC IB1 were more impressive and punchy down there.
So the BaseTwo25 ? damn that's got to be super deep and punchy, clean yet powerful, I need to try that!

I'd imagine Two18+ subs compare to the SCM150 ( even then the 150 might put out less sub).
For smaller Amphion and Atcs: both great design with a bit of different signature, yet similar/transparent (specially with the new ATC tweeter- more extended), and finally reacting to the same room quite differently so that'd be an important factor, at that level of quality and desired neutrality.

Last edited by DownSideUp; 3 weeks ago at 08:37 PM..
Here for the gear

One18 + Behringer A800

Hello!

I've been reading GS for years but signed up only now, so this is my first ever post. Exiting!

First a little introduction...

I'm from Finland and somehow happen to use mostly finnish speakers. 😁

In the studio we have:

Genelec 8240A DSP + 7260A sub
- rarely used these days. Sometimes for tracking of bass and other bass heavy material, but I preferably use Sennheiser HD600 for this if possible.

One Yamaha NS10 for mono checks
- This is great! Before we got the Amphions I got much better mixes on the NS10:s than on the Genelecs.

Amphion One18 + amp100 mono blocks
- Good, but I feel they could get better...

So now to the problems and questions...

We have had the One18:s for about 1/2 year now and I'm still learning to like them. But one thing I can't get over is the lack of oompf, not much, just a tad. Besides translation I need a little oompf to enjoy producing and mixning. And I would like to have this oompf from the monitors without a sub.

I have experimented with placement and now have them quite wide, and close to the dampened wall for max bass. The placement is now ideal, I think, but still lacking the...oompf.

We also have the One12's, and with the amp100s they felt like having the adequate amounth of weight in the low end (oompf). So I thought that maybe the amp100 is a little thin for the One18's.

I have requested Anssi for a amp700 to try, haven't got an answer yet, but he usually answers in a few days time.

I read the comments of Digital Grease a few pages back about the Behringer a800s in bridged mono mode and was intrigued. But he has Two18s.

Do you think two a800s would be overkill for One18's or would one a800 be sufficient, 400w per speaker?

He, and many others also mentioned that the amps should stay on all the time. How can one do this without loud pops when powering up, in my case two Avid HD i/o 16x16 analogs + C24 controller? Now I always power up the speakers last to avoid this.

Pics of control room attached.

Thanks!
Macke
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion... Beautiful-20201027_122237.jpg   Amphion... Beautiful-20201029_194301.jpg  
Gear Guru

To me the amp100 is indeed too 5hin by quite the margin for one18s. Try driving them with the A800. I bet they will develop more ooomph. Or even put some 'real' Class AB ooomph up them instead of class d.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke Andergard View Post
Hello!

I've been reading GS for years but signed up only now, so this is my first ever post. Exiting!

In the studio we have:

Genelec 8240A DSP + 7260A sub
- rarely used these days. Sometimes for tracking of bass and other bass heavy material, but I preferably use Sennheiser HD600 for this if possible.

One Yamaha NS10 for mono checks
- This is great! Before we got the Amphions I got much better mixes on the NS10:s than on the Genelecs.

Amphion One18 + amp100 mono blocks
- Good, but I feel they could get better...

So now to the problems and questions...

We have had the One18:s for about 1/2 year now and I'm still learning to like them. But one thing I can't get over is the lack of oompf, not much, just a tad. Besides translation I need a little oompf to enjoy producing and mixning. And I would like to have this oompf from the monitors without a sub.

I have experimented with placement and now have them quite wide, and close to the dampened wall for max bass. The placement is now ideal, I think, but still lacking the...oompf.

We also have the One12's, and with the amp100s they felt like having the adequate amounth of weight in the low end (oompf). So I thought that maybe the amp100 is a little thin for the One18's.

I have requested Anssi for a amp700 to try, haven't got an answer yet, but he usually answers in a few days time.

I read the comments of Digital Grease a few pages back about the Behringer a800s in bridged mono mode and was intrigued. But he has Two18s.

Do you think two a800s would be overkill for One18's or would one a800 be sufficient, 400w per speaker?

He, and many others also mentioned that the amps should stay on all the time. How can one do this without loud pops when powering up, in my case two Avid HD i/o 16x16 analogs + C24 controller? Now I always power up the speakers last to avoid this.

Thanks!
Macke
Really curious to hear what Annsi has to say because I am in your exact same situation and I was wondering if the Amp700 could help.
Quote:
Hello!

Macke
Welcome Macke! nice room and intriguing beers

Quote:

Thanks!
Macke
Following DigitalGrease's advice I pulled the trigger on two A800 bridged for my One18, it sounded awesome, very muscular, great bass resolution with clean and neutral high. ( my expensive YBA amp was more/too exciting in the highs yet I prefer the neutral A800).

My room is smaller than yours and I am now on One15, still with the A800s fully open, so overkill ? I guess not. Also I have bought a Metric Halo ULN-8 and their "zero" setting on the MIO console is padded and perfect for full opened powered monitor or powerfull amps such as A800. much more usable than my previous interface.

I run the Behringer Monitor 2 USB as a controller, but the Metric Halo pad is essential to even pad before the controller. I leave the A800s on at least two days for critical listening, Monitor2USB makes a small "pop" when I turn it off but no big deal. Most days though, I turn the A800s off.

The Amphion Amp700 must be great too, good luck.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Really curious to hear what Annsi has to say because I am in your exact same situation and I was wondering if the Amp700 could help.
I compared amp500 and amp100 on one18's ages ago and the 500 makes them how they should be in the bottom half. Solid and strong, unlike with the 100. Unfortunately to me at the time the mids and highs with the 500 were a bit less open. Maybe the 700 is best of both (not tried one), but I would be very surprised if it doesn't make a powerful bottom.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Welcome Macke! nice room and intriguing beers

Following DigitalGrease's advice I pulled the trigger on two A800 bridged for my One18, it sounded awesome, very muscular, great bass resolution with clean and neutral high. ( my expensive YBA amp was more/too exciting in the highs yet I prefer the neutral A800).

My room is smaller than yours and I am now on One15, still with the A800s fully open, so overkill ? I guess not. Also I have bought a Metric Halo ULN-8 and their "zero" setting on the MIO console is padded and perfect for full opened powered monitor or powerfull amps such as A800. much more usable than my previous interface.

I run the Behringer Monitor 2 USB as a controller, but the Metric Halo pad is essential to even pad before the controller. I leave the A800s on at least two days for critical listening, Monitor2USB makes a small "pop" when I turn it off but no big deal. Most days though, I turn the A800s off.

The Amphion Amp700 must be great too, good luck.
Two bridged A800's on one15's? wow. I bet it's solid. lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I compared amp500 and amp100 on one18's ages ago and the 500 makes them how they should be in the bottom half. Solid and strong, unlike with the 100. Unfortunately to me at the time the mids and highs with the 500 were a bit less open. Maybe the 700 is best of both (not tried one), but I would be very surprised if it doesn't make a powerful bottom.
Thanks.
The Amp500 was too hard/strident for me so I went with the Amp100.
Let's wait!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I am very interested in this as well... I’m using the one18 & amp100 for 1.5 years now and always having the same thoughts, I would like to try them with a more powerful amp.
What amp are some people using with their one18 that is more powerful than the amp100 ?
I’ve been wondering about a Bryston amp, any one18 users can recommend one ?
Gear Maniac

You are coming off a sub with the Genelecs Macke & that’s coloring your perception perhaps.

That said Amphions want juice. So Amp700 will be better, or try some good Class AB design with at least 100W into 4 ohms. I now use Crimson 630Ds (ca. 160w into 4 ohms) for my 3LS which are somewhat similar to the One18s.

The speakers really opened up compared to amps with less juice I have tried. Didn’t like the Amp700 btw, but that’s perhaps my room & DAC.

Last edited by mcgilroy; 3 weeks ago at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar
📝 Reply