The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion View Post
Yes i think you’re right! May be it’s my unfamiliarity with transparency coming from the one18! As others mentioned, i have to do some mixes and see what happens! But one thing i noticed is that my old mixes sounded so midrangy and annoying on ONE18, i was like wtf was I doing all these times! Hope they turn to be my most powerful tool for my mixes!
I did feel totally inside out weird about the amphion image shape at first. Give it a couple of weeks. Once it goes click most other speakers will seem broken. That sounds daft, but that's what happened. Like most speakers 'don't get the point'. Even if they are 'good'. Not even a quality thing, more a focus thing.

Listen to some records you know on them. Tune into what 'right' sounds like. And count on many of your favourites revealing bits of wrongness you didn't ever notice before. It's not even that these things are extraordinarily detailed, others do more actual detail. But they point at the essential bits and make sure you get the story right.

Curious to hear how you'll get on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Don’t despair. I hated my One 15s for at least a month

When they arrived I was so excited I set them up in the lounge room to have a listen and was like WTF?? Sounded boring and lifeless.

Then in the studio I really disliked how they sounded. And thought the Neumann KH120s actually sounded better. After quite some experimenting with positioning they got bearable but then I noticed that after mixing on them and switching back to the KH120s the 120s sounded even better than I’d ever heard them!

Every decision I made on the One15s came across beautifully on the 120s. Decisions that I couldn’t make on the 120s (around the bass/mid bass region) were much cleaner on the One15s. I could hear small changes in compression!

After a while I realised the Neumanns made most things sound pretty nice, because they glossed over the problems the One 15s highlight.

I ended up moving the KH120s out to the lounge room where I think they are great speakers for music enjoyment and clear vocal playback from TV.

The Amphions are great mixing tools, but I have to say they still aren’t speakers I can just enjoy listening to. Hopefully the One 18s just sound very different to what you are used to? But give them a try as mixing tools rather than as an enjoyable playback system.
To me (and for electronic music production/mixing), this sounds like Amphions are a good "B" pair of speakers for checking issues, and some "more enjoyable" monitors would be better for the creative part of the process where you want to get a good feel, rather than analyse the mix...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

In my room they are definitely the “A” set. I use the “B” set because I won’t be devastated if they get blown up during production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX View Post
To me (and for electronic music production/mixing), this sounds like Amphions are a good "B" pair of speakers for checking issues, and some "more enjoyable" monitors would be better for the creative part of the process where you want to get a good feel, rather than analyse the mix...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
In my room they are definitely the “A” set. I use the “B” set because I won’t be devastated if they get blown up during production.
Do you mean A as in the highest quality or ones that get the most use?

I'd define A = the most amount of use (longest time listened to in the production process) vs B = the ones that are used the least, for a specific referencing task (no judgement of quality etc, just based on duration of use in comparison to A)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

In my case it’s both. But if my client needs to monitor at really loud volumes the speaker switch gets moved over to “B.”

Quote:
Do you mean A as in the highest quality or ones that get the most use?

I'd define A = the most amount of use (longest time listened to in the production process) vs B = the ones that are used the least, for a specific referencing task (no judgement of quality etc, just based on duration of use in comparison to A)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion View Post
Yes i think you’re right! May be it’s my unfamiliarity with transparency coming from the one18! As others mentioned, i have to do some mixes and see what happens! But one thing i noticed is that my old mixes sounded so midrangy and annoying on ONE18, i was like wtf was I doing all these times! Hope they turn to be my most powerful tool for my mixes!
I don't know, man. I find it strange that you're hearing them as having such a distinct character. I had used Adam A7s for 10+ before moving to One18s. Sure, they sound different but MY immediate impression was that they were very high-fi, elegant monitors with impressive detail and depth. It's hard for me to understand why they sound so weird for you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m and electronic musician too. For a while I ran the KH120s alongside the Amphions for that reason. They went a bit deeper and sounded nicer. I also had a little Adam Sub 7 that I used with both of the monitors. But I tend to mix and compose at the same time. After a while I found that the Neumanns just started sounding wrong. They were very ‘nasal’ and ‘wet’ sounding and I really didn’t trust any decisions on them.

I kept the sub for a while and used that as a way of getting a bit of vibe while composing, but again the One15s alone were much better at telling me what to do with the bass, so the sub is gone now too.

When I want to get a bit of vibe happening I go and stand in the corner of my room and have a little boogie in one of the bass nodes

But yeah, if I had clients to impress or needed to fill a room for sure I’d want a second set of speakers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I did feel totally inside out weird about the amphion image shape at first. Give it a couple of weeks. Once it goes click most other speakers will seem broken. That sounds daft, but that's what happened. Like most speakers 'don't get the point'. Even if they are 'good'. Not even a quality thing, more a focus thing.

Listen to some records you know on them. Tune into what 'right' sounds like. And count on many of your favourites revealing bits of wrongness you didn't ever notice before. It's not even that these things are extraordinarily detailed, others do more actual detail. But they point at the essential bits and make sure you get the story right.

Curious to hear how you'll get on.
My Two 15's are like a magnifying glass for air band EQ decisions. They also reveal when that frequency region is way too bright and this is especially so on alot of modern pop records. Was listening to Dua Lipa's "New Rules" and was like "WTF is going on with the top end of this vocal?".
Old 1 week ago
Bought some Spendor SP2's ( the vintage ones ) = they are absolutely lovely sounding. Remind me of the Harbeths i had here a few years back.

Not very bassy, but uber clarity in the mids up to the top. I put my sub on with these and they sound awesome

Onwards...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Currently using the One18s with a Rythmik subwoofer. How big of leap is the Two18 in comparison? I currently have them about 6' away equally. My room is 15' x 18'.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Thought I'd share some thoughts on the Amp 700 now that I've had it for a few weeks...

I had demoed the Two 15 + Amp 500 for 2 weeks straight and this combo is what made fall head over heels in love with Amphion. For anyone who's read my recent posts gushing over them, I won't repeat myself but they're perfect in my space.

When I ordered the new pair, Amphion had already stopped selling the Amp 500 so the only option was the 700.

Amp 700 impressions:

The Amp 700, unsurprisingly, changes the sound of the Two 15's and to my ears it's a fairly noticeable change. The Amp 700 is much smoother up top. It's less fatiguing and more extended as you move past the upper mids into high frequencies above 10K. It's not overly bright however. Just feels more extended overall. The low mids seem to be more full than the Amp 500 - with a bigger, thicker presentation around 100-300hz range. The Amp 700 is more pleasing to just sit back and listen to music on while still being very revealing like the 500. If I hadn't heard the Amp 500 previously, I'd say the Amp 700 is an incredible sounding amp. I think if it were combined with the Two 18 it'd really be unbelievable to hear how it pairs up. The Amp 700 sort of pushes the Two 15 closer to the 18's in my opinion and makes them slightly less punchy in the mids and less mid forward. The voicing seems a little different to my ears with the 700.

Amp 500 Impressions:

While the Amp 500 might be the "lesser" of the two amps in terms of specs, I feel like it pairs up better with the Two 15's to my ears. The Amp 500 IS slightly more fatiguing when listening to music. It isn't as smooth as the 700. However, the overall balance with the Two 15 + Amp 500 made them feel more punchy and I could dial in compression / dynamics faster. The Amp 500 feels like it pushes the 1-2khz area more forward than the 700 and isn't as full in the low mids. One of the things I loved so much about the Two 15+500 is that it was crystal clear which direction it was pointing you go when mixing. I can't really explain how it does this but it just made mix decisions much easier.

I've reached out to Alto Music and they're going to let me try the Amp 500 again (which is very cool btw) with the Two 15's and will swap them out if that's the route I decide to go here.

Bottomline: I think I have a bit of the classic "demo love" for the 500+ Two 15 combo but I would be perfectly happy with the sound of the Amp 700 had I not heard the 500 before it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Thought I'd share some thoughts on the Amp 700 now that I've had it for a few weeks...

I had demoed the Two 15 + Amp 500 for 2 weeks straight and this combo is what made fall head over heels in love with Amphion. For anyone who's read my recent posts gushing over them, I won't repeat myself but they're perfect in my space.

When I ordered the new pair, Amphion had already stopped selling the Amp 500 so the only option was the 700.

Amp 700 impressions:

The Amp 700, unsurprisingly, changes the sound of the Two 15's and to my ears it's a fairly noticeable change. The Amp 700 is much smoother up top. It's less fatiguing and more extended as you move past the upper mids into high frequencies above 10K. It's not overly bright however. Just feels more extended overall. The low mids seem to be more full than the Amp 500 - with a bigger, thicker presentation around 100-300hz range. The Amp 700 is more pleasing to just sit back and listen to music on while still being very revealing like the 500. If I hadn't heard the Amp 500 previously, I'd say the Amp 700 is an incredible sounding amp. I think if it were combined with the Two 18 it'd really be unbelievable to hear how it pairs up. The Amp 700 sort of pushes the Two 15 closer to the 18's in my opinion and makes them slightly less punchy in the mids and less mid forward. The voicing seems a little different to my ears with the 700.

Amp 500 Impressions:

While the Amp 500 might be the "lesser" of the two amps in terms of specs, I feel like it pairs up better with the Two 15's to my ears. The Amp 500 IS slightly more fatiguing when listening to music. It isn't as smooth as the 700. However, the overall balance with the Two 15 + Amp 500 made them feel more punchy and I could dial in compression / dynamics faster. The Amp 500 feels like it pushes the 1-2khz area more forward than the 700 and isn't as full in the low mids. One of the things I loved so much about the Two 15+500 is that it was crystal clear which direction it was pointing you go when mixing. I can't really explain how it does this but it just made mix decisions much easier.

I've reached out to Alto Music and they're going to let me try the Amp 500 again (which is very cool btw) with the Two 15's and will swap them out if that's the route I decide to go here.

Bottomline: I think I have a bit of the classic "demo love" for the 500+ Two 15 combo but I would be perfectly happy with the sound of the Amp 700 had I not heard the 500 before it.
Many thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Now try an amp 100. ;-)

Only half joking......my bet would be you'd like the top end even more than the 500......
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now try an amp 100. ;-)

Only half joking......my bet would be you'd like the top end even more than the 500......
I have Amp100 and I can confirm it sounds better than the Amp500, but Amp700?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I have Amp100 and I can confirm it sounds better than the Amp500, but Amp700?
Are you using the Amp 100 with the Two 15? My understanding is that 100 won't even work with the Two 15.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you using the Amp 100 with the Two 15? My understanding is that 100 won't even work with the Two 15.
Nope, I have One18
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Second pair to compliment amphion?

I have the Two18s + BaseOne25s (which sounds GREAT), but I'm looking for a second pair of monitors to compliment the Amphions... Something that sounds a bit different and can give me a another perspective. Maybe a bit tighter and faster. I have a spare Amp500, so I thought about getting some passive monitors.

I've been thinking about either NS10's or ProAc Studio SM100's. Does anybody want to chime in? Some tips? I'm open for suggestions as well. I'm a full time mix engineer, so that's what I'll be using it for.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hello,

Waiting for my room to be treated acoustically.
I have a pair of never used Amphion One 15 and its Amphion 100 amplifier.
I bought this product based on the reviews here on Gearslutz.
My goal is to get perfect translation, so my question is the Amphion setup I have, is accurate to achieve perfect translation ??

Thanks for sharing your experience
Sergio
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdecay View Post
I have the Two18s + BaseOne25s (which sounds GREAT), but I'm looking for a second pair of monitors to compliment the Amphions... Something that sounds a bit different and can give me a another perspective. Maybe a bit tighter and faster. I have a spare Amp500, so I thought about getting some passive monitors.

I've been thinking about either NS10's or ProAc Studio SM100's. Does anybody want to chime in? Some tips? I'm open for suggestions as well. I'm a full time mix engineer, so that's what I'll be using it for.
I wrote a post about the SM100 vs. One15 a while back, maybe that can help a little bit at least. Though I have no idea if One15 is even similar to the Two18. I would not describe the SM100 as fast and tight compared to the One15 which fits that description. I would rather describe them as laid back, mellow, cuddly etc. I feel they give a more cohesive and glued together picture than the One15, but the tradeoff is that they are less detailed. For me, a combination of the One15 and SM100 makes a lot of sense because they behave very differently.

The SM100 is supposed to be similar to the rest of the ProAc range but without any hyped frequencies. It's basically a hifi-speaker adjusted for studio use which I think gives another perspective on things. I think that Hypex, Anaview etc isn't what ProAc had in mind to use with the SM100. I suspect these amps give a pretty bright sound to the SM100 but that doesn't have to be a problem. The highs are rolled off compared to the previous Studio100.

Maybe check out the ATC SCM12 or One15 if you haven't?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

Waiting for my room to be treated acoustically.
I have a pair of never used Amphion One 15 and its Amphion 100 amplifier.
I bought this product based on the reviews here on Gearslutz.
My goal is to get perfect translation, so my question is the Amphion setup I have, is accurate to achieve perfect translation ??

Thanks for sharing your experience
Sergio
Based on this whole thread, it seems like people feel that setup translates as good as or better than anything out there. Except for the sub bass of course, if you don't use a sub
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMantra View Post
I wrote a post about the SM100 vs. One15 a while back, maybe that can help a little bit at least. Though I have no idea if One15 is even similar to the Two18. I would not describe the SM100 as fast and tight compared to the One15 which fits that description. I would rather describe them as laid back, mellow, cuddly etc. I feel they give a more cohesive and glued together picture than the One15, but the tradeoff is that they are less detailed. For me, a combination of the One15 and SM100 makes a lot of sense because they behave very differently.

The SM100 is supposed to be similar to the rest of the ProAc range but without any hyped frequencies. It's basically a hifi-speaker adjusted for studio use which I think gives another perspective on things. I think that Hypex, Anaview etc isn't what ProAc had in mind to use with the SM100. I suspect these amps give a pretty bright sound to the SM100 but that doesn't have to be a problem. The highs are rolled off compared to the previous Studio100.

Maybe check out the ATC SCM12 or One15 if you haven't?

Thanks! I’ve heard the One15, and they are absolutely breathtaking. I haven’t heard them side by side with the two18’s+baseone25s, so it could be a potential second pair - but I thought i should get something with some other tweeter/woofer than Amphion to give me some perspective for reference. Haven’t heard the SCM12! I do like the sound of ProAc tho, so maybe i’ll just go with them..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Actually, because of the different impedance with double drivers the 100 might not have enough juice for two15's perhaps. I have only heard the amps with single driver models and was extrapolating blindly. But the 100 sounds clearer than the 500.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Based on this whole thread, it seems like people feel that setup translates as good as or better than anything out there. Except for the sub bass of course, if you don't use a sub
Actually, it also translates very well all the way down, uncannily. You might not feel physical bass overwhelm when working, but you can still make mixes that translate on full frequency rigs and have pert, tight bottoms. Without subs.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Actually, it also translates very well all the way down, uncannily. You might not feel physical bass overwhelm when working, but you can still make mixes that translate on full frequency rigs and have pert, tight bottoms. Without subs.
I see, that's cool! I've never used a sub but I was thinking there's stuff going on way down there in modern electronic music that the One15 can't reproduce.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I see, that's cool! I've never used a sub but I was thinking there's stuff going on way down there in modern electronic music that the One15 can't reproduce.
Sure, stands to reason, the drivers are 5" after all.

But for whatever reason they give you very good information in the bottom half that ends up making tight shapes that 'unpack safely' on big ones, and you will never have had as easy a kick/bass relationship scenario that translates.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdecay View Post

Honestly? I'd say just go for the Two 15's since you already have the Amp 500. They're exactly what you mentioned: Fast and tight. I wouldn't use the 500 on the One 15's as that would be overkill.

There's a composer - Dean Landon - he uses this exact same set up. Two 15's and also the Two 18's plus the Base 25's and he loves his set up.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Honestly? I'd say just go for the Two 15's since you already have the Amp 500. They're exactly what you mentioned: Fast and tight. I wouldn't use the 500 on the One 15's as that would be overkill.

There's a composer - Dean Landon - he uses this exact same set up. Two 15's and also the Two 18's plus the Base 25's and he loves his set up.
Nice! That’s an option as well..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Amphion is recommending the new Amp700 for all their products now. Hmm. Two mono100s would be nice with small footprint though.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
It'd be interesting to read comparisons between Amp100 and Amp700 on One15.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
Amphion is recommending the new Amp700 for all their products now. Hmm. Two mono100s would be nice with small footprint though.
Mono700s would be nice...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search