The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 17th July 2019
  #7081
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks beutiful review

It kinds of confirm my choice to get the Genelec 8351 as my main monitors.

But I bought also the Amphion One 15, with the hope and opinion from this thread they were ultimate speakers for getting the right mix translation (although you need a second pair of monitors to check the very low end) : Did I do wrong with buying the Amphion One 15 ?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Regards

Sergio
I reckon 8351s and One15's would be a great team.

I found the One15's much more useful than the One18's. My friend felt the same way after living with Two18's and then switching to One15s. The 18s are more impressive/louder/a bit more low end, but they didn't feel as easy to judge as the One15's for me. I do still use headphones or bigger speakers for checking the subs (I'm making dance music).

YMMV we all have different ears/rooms/expectations.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7082
Here for the gear
 

I have some questions for you people, sorry to turn this into amateur hour...

I'm not a professional mixer, I just do rough mixes/creative work that I then let a pro mix

I'm wondering if the One15s would work alright for general use (again, not primarily mixing) in an untreated room and extremely nearfield? At dB levels of 50-70 mostly

Just wondering if I should be looking at other solution right away or if I should bring a pair of 15s home and try them.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7083
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks beutiful review

It kinds of confirm my choice to get the Genelec 8351 as my main monitors.

But I bought also the Amphion One 15, with the hope and opinion from this thread they were ultimate speakers for getting the right mix translation (although you need a second pair of monitors to check the very low end) : Did I do wrong with buying the Amphion One 15 ?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Regards

Sergio
Exactly my question as well.
I have a small not ideal room that gets treated more and more but still it’s not ideal and wonder what speakers I should try to get there for testing
It seems like it’s going to be:
Amphion One15
ATC ATM 20 SCM MKII
Genelec 8331-51 (Wonder if the bigger ones would work in my room)

Room is 7,8 x 16,4 - height is 7,4 + 0,8 full acoustic hung down perforated ceiling
(237cm x 500cm x 227cm + 23cm acoustic ceiling)

Sonarwork's measurment curve is attached

All information is very much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Amphion... Beautiful-bildschirmfoto-2019-07-17-um-13.41.19.png  
Old 17th July 2019
  #7084
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

The One15s are great for extremely near field mixing. I rarely go anywhere above 70 dB. They work well at low levels imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMantra View Post
I have some questions for you people, sorry to turn this into amateur hour...

I'm not a professional mixer, I just do rough mixes/creative work that I then let a pro mix

I'm wondering if the One15s would work alright for general use (again, not primarily mixing) in an untreated room and extremely nearfield? At dB levels of 50-70 mostly

Just wondering if I should be looking at other solution right away or if I should bring a pair of 15s home and try them.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7085
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
The One15s are great for extremely near field mixing. I rarely go anywhere above 70 dB. They work well at low levels imo.
What about their translation skills ?
Old 17th July 2019
  #7086
Lives for gear
As far as I can tell, perfect translation once you understand them. Immensely helpful and useful too, they have their own way to display mixing issues and to suggest the most adequate solutions. Best purchase I've ever done.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7087
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

The way I think of them is that basically they make a small-ish, semi-treated room behave like a studio.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7088
mpr
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
What about their translation skills ?
Yes I agree, awesome translation ability once you learn how to push energy thru them while keeping everything clear, especially in the mids. They will make you a better mixer and reward you with great playback on full scale systems. Learn to read the woofer and your low end should never be out of control.

As has been said a billion times here, you can add a sub, but beware that a sub takes a bit of time and luck to integrate properly. And once integrated, learning the sub can take longer than learning the One15s as low end is usually a bit nebulous in most rooms. But anything can be learned.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7089
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks beutiful review

It kinds of confirm my choice to get the Genelec 8351 as my main monitors.

But I bought also the Amphion One 15, with the hope and opinion from this thread they were ultimate speakers for getting the right mix translation (although you need a second pair of monitors to check the very low end) : Did I do wrong with buying the Amphion One 15 ?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Regards

Sergio
Hi Sergio,

Seems to me you have a dream setup that not many get the chance to have.
Instead of doubting your choice of speakers you should just trust them, get to know them 100% and improve as an artist.
If you start doubting the One 15's and end up choosing something else you'll be running in circles.
The One15's are one of the best 5" speakers available for mix translation for many producers..
Believe :-)
Old 17th July 2019
  #7090
Lives for gear
 

what is the consensus between the one 15 vs the two 15 for extremely close mixing?

thanks,

ej
Old 17th July 2019
  #7091
Lives for gear
 

what is the consensus between the one 15 vs the two 15 for extremely close mixing?

thanks,

ej
Old 17th July 2019
  #7092
Lives for gear
 

I personally use Event Opals and Amphion One15 in my setup, until I have a room that can accommodate some Soffit mounted Augspurgers, this is a perfect setup for me
Old 17th July 2019
  #7093
Lives for gear
 

I also have a pair of Opals with my Amphion one 15.
But I think about upgrading them to the Genelec 8351, which seem to be a step higher.

Feedback and opinions are welcome.

Sergio
Old 17th July 2019
  #7094
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
As far as I can tell, perfect translation once you understand them. Immensely helpful and useful too, they have their own way to display mixing issues and to suggest the most adequate solutions. Best purchase I've ever done.
Interesting! How big is your room and what monitors did you have before? What is your experience with the change?
I see you making electronic music, you do you feel about bass extension and tracking/composing heavy synths or drum machines?

I was chatting with a dealer today and he told me about lots of people having problems with broken tweeters on Amphions tho to overpower the speakers.

Also he recommended me to try ATCs and told me a customer was working on big ATCs and switched to Amphion Two18s before he came back again and switched back on ATC 110s
Old 17th July 2019
  #7095
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The way I think of them is that basically they make a small-ish, semi-treated room behave like a studio.
That sounds good Karloff. I follow you and your post and journey of monitor choices and cables since years. Btw what cables did you end up with, TPR's?

What do you say to the blown tweeter thing on Amphions and the question of tracking synths drum machines? One 15s only for mixing?
Have you heard and compared them to ATC SCM20 MKII?

Seems like I need to get them both into my room for a while, maybe accompanied by Genelec 8331 just because i am too curious if they gonna sound to artificial for me
Old 17th July 2019
  #7096
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The way I think of them is that basically they make a small-ish, semi-treated room behave like a studio.
Let me count the ways I love Amphions.
Old 17th July 2019
  #7097
Gear Maniac
 
bicarbone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Let me count the ways I love Amphions.
Haha! Gotta love that @ Karloff70

Old 18th July 2019
  #7098
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Let me count the ways I love Amphions.
Yeah haha reading that since years. Wonder if Karloff gets paid for that in the meanwhile. No seriously.. I ask myself how many people here are writing for companies they represent. And how many who buy products and start bashing others or valueing theirs to the moon and back because they couldn't afford better ones and just persuade themselves
Old 18th July 2019
  #7099
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiin View Post
Yeah haha reading that since years. Wonder if Karloff gets paid for that in the meanwhile. No seriously.. I ask myself how many people here are writing for companies they represent. And how many who buy products and start bashing others or valueing theirs to the moon and back because they couldn't afford better ones and just persuade themselves
Mate, I WISH I got paid. Beings I had a wee hand in the voicing of the damned things (one15) as well. But no, I am a customer like the rest of you. Just one that happened to be there at the beginning in this case and voiced some opinions and who still loves the outcome as a tool.

lol @ swurveman's collection of my ramblings

As to blowing drivers on the one15's, well, they are not for blasting. You need other speakers next to them if you need to blast things. But yes, get them all into your room and your preference will make itself known.
Old 18th July 2019
  #7100
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiin View Post
Interesting! How big is your room and what monitors did you have before? What is your experience with the change?
I see you making electronic music, you do you feel about bass extension and tracking/composing heavy synths or drum machines?

I was chatting with a dealer today and he told me about lots of people having problems with broken tweeters on Amphions tho to overpower the speakers.

Also he recommended me to try ATCs and told me a customer was working on big ATCs and switched to Amphion Two18s before he came back again and switched back on ATC 110s
My previous room was nicely treated and smallish, and now my set-up is in our (much larger) living-room with some mobile, thick acoustic panels around my desk... and with the furniture the acoustic is surprisingly reliable.

I'll add that I've always worked at quiet volumes and tremendously enjoy it. The One15s shine used that way.

I used to have APS Coax (the ones I used to mix the LP in my sig, I sold them but I'd recommend them as a second set of monitors), and the school I teach at has a pair of Genelec 8040B (damn I don't like those, so harsh/hard sounding) and am also familiar with Barefoot and Focal monitors.

The Coax taught me to secure and lock the low mids, and it turned out to be quite a valuable lesson. That made the transition to Amphions effortless and rewarding.

The One15 are my fave, period. I've had them for almost a year and a half now and basically my current sketches sound better than my previous finished tuned hehe.

I've been working on 100% synthetic music for a little while (not a single sample, just synths) and patching a synth is a bliss : the sonics remains exactly the same on different speakers / headphones / rooms once I get it right on the one15. The lows might not be earth-shaking, but they're damn useful and consequently easy to dial right. You just have to learn them really.

Most of my mixing is already done at sound-design now, and I've gained unexpected skills at sound engineering. I simply trust what I hear (I also listen to absolutely everything on them, a big plus definitely) and it makes a world of difference.

I saw you mentioned cables too. I switched from Mogami to TPR a month ago and really enjoy the combo, surprisingly adding clarity and definition to my monitoring chain. never though cables could make such a (nice) difference.

Hope it helps !
Old 18th July 2019
  #7101
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
My previous room was nicely treated and smallish, and now my set-up is in our (much larger) living-room with some mobile, thick acoustic panels around my desk... and with the furniture the acoustic is surprisingly reliable.

I'll add that I've always worked at quiet volumes and tremendously enjoy it. The One15s shine used that way.

I used to have APS Coax (the ones I used to mix the LP in my sig, I sold them but I'd recommend them as a second set of monitors), and the school I teach at has a pair of Genelec 8040B (damn I don't like those, so harsh/hard sounding) and am also familiar with Barefoot and Focal monitors.

The Coax taught me to secure and lock the low mids, and it turned out to be quite a valuable lesson. That made the transition to Amphions effortless and rewarding.

The One15 are my fave, period. I've had them for almost a year and a half now and basically my current sketches sound better than my previous finished tuned hehe.

I've been working on 100% synthetic music for a little while (not a single sample, just synths) and patching a synth is a bliss : the sonics remains exactly the same on different speakers / headphones / rooms once I get it right on the one15. The lows might not be earth-shaking, but they're damn useful and consequently easy to dial right. You just have to learn them really.

Most of my mixing is already done at sound-design now, and I've gained unexpected skills at sound engineering. I simply trust what I hear (I also listen to absolutely everything on them, a big plus definitely) and it makes a world of difference.

I saw you mentioned cables too. I switched from Mogami to TPR a month ago and really enjoy the combo, surprisingly adding clarity and definition to my monitoring chain. never though cables could make such a (nice) difference.

Hope it helps !
Thank you mate! Pretty useful information!
Trying to get One15, ATC 20 MK2 und possibly Genelec 8331 into my room soon to test them out
Old 18th July 2019
  #7102
Lives for gear
TPR is solid. Being used in both digital and analog.

[However, when talking about Mogami, the model # should be specified as they don't all sound the same (e.g. analog 2549 and 3173 110 digital). Very noticeable and consistent difference between these two in both of my setups/rooms.]
Old 18th July 2019
  #7103
mpr
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiin View Post
Trying to get One15, ATC 20 MK2 und possibly Genelec 8331 into my room soon to test them out
I think the One15 stands out among those because its not trying to sound full spectrum. The One15 offers a focused mix window for you to work within, while the other two are trying to sound bigger and flatter than they are (if that makes sense), and this lack of focus can distract your ear from where it should be focusing.

Theres no confusion with the Amphions which say "this is all I got for you, but if you nail it then you'll be rewarded on the big boys". And the One15s still put out plenty of usable low end, as most all kick fundamentals are heard perfectly.

Karloff70's passion is rooted in something that he knows will continue to stand the test of time. I too still love my Amphions and recommend them to mixers of all skill level.

As a mastering engineer, I have seen guys improve their chops radically in short time after switching to them. Their mixes suddenly have more mid power and clarity. Mastering those types of mixes is a joy.
Old 19th July 2019
  #7104
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
TPR is solid. Being used in both digital and analog.

[However, when talking about Mogami, the model # should be specified as they don't all sound the same (e.g. analog 2549 and 3173 110 digital). Very noticeable and consistent difference between these two in both of my setups/rooms.]
Just had a look, I used to have Mogami 2549 cables before the TPR ones.
Old 19th July 2019
  #7105
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Just had a look, I used to have Mogami 2549 cables before the TPR ones.
That would explain your impressions. The 2549 sounds rolled off in comparison to TPR or 3173. The Mogami rep I've spoken to over the years and people that have used both analog and digital Mogami tend to prefer the digital (3173 in particular) for the lower capacitance, extended response, and more clarity.

(For folks wondering about the lengths involved, all my interconnects range between 2 to 15 feet. The TPR are 2 feet long, 3173 are 10 feet long, and 2549 are 15 feet. The 2549 sounding different and rolled off isn't happening at 50 or 100+ feet like I expected it do, which surprised me. The 2549 can sound quite warm as a result and be even pleasing in some situations. However, when you get used to the other two and go the 2549, you right away feel the loss in clarity and things sounding darker. In terms of extension, 3173 and TPR are right there with each other.)
Old 19th July 2019
  #7106
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Still wishing the TPR had the voluptuous body of my Van Damme star quad though. Great mids and top, a little thin in the bottom.
Old 19th July 2019
  #7107
Lives for gear
 
Autocrat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Still wishing the TPR had the voluptuous body of my Van Damme star quad though. Great mids and top, a little thin in the bottom.
Karloff - are you still using the QED classic cables? That's what I've been using with my One15s.

I was open to 'upgrade' to more expensive cables and asked Pro Audio LA, who carry a few different brands, including Amphion and they said, "I would just stick with what you have."

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 20th July 2019
  #7108
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
Karloff - are you still using the QED classic cables? That's what I've been using with my One15s.

I was open to 'upgrade' to more expensive cables and asked Pro Audio LA, who carry a few different brands, including Amphion and they said, "I would just stick with what you have."

Take it for what it's worth.
I have changed them actually. I had some quite thin, really cheap red and see-through cased speaker wire sitting around, which I had originally got hold of for a different purpose that didn't happen. So I decided to try what happens if I braid three for each side and make cables from that. And they are actually clearer than the QED, so they stayed. Dirt cheap, but clearly lucky. I think I am done tweaking actually, sounds pretty great now.
Old 20th July 2019
  #7109
mpr
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I had some quite thin, really cheap red and see-through cased speaker wire sitting around, which I had originally got hold of for a different purpose that didn't happen. So I decided to try what happens if I braid three for each side and make cables from that. And they are actually clearer than the QED, so they stayed. Dirt cheap, but clearly lucky. I think I am done tweaking actually, sounds pretty great now.
On that note, I also am using a cheap OEM cable my friend (a fellow GSlut in Italy) stumbled upon. Interconnect, not speaker cable.

It has repeatedly beat everything I have here as a line level interconnect: Evidence Lyric, 3 types of Mogami, Belden 1800f, 2 different Vovox and sadly it barely nudged out Grimm TPR (to my ear) which meant I had to rewire my entire room with this cheap stuff.

So he went to the manufacturer and they said we could brand our own cable as long as we ordered a 2 kilometers, so we did...

We named it Ghost Cable. It is wide open and effortless sounding at a fraction of what TPR costs. I have bins of unused TPR now :(

Shoot me a PM and Ill try and get you a sample. This stuff deserves to be heard.

Old 3 weeks ago
  #7110
Lives for gear
 
Autocrat's Avatar
Anyone use a low-end (no pun intended) sub with their One15s?
I use Logitech Z623 speakers in my house for Spotify and multimedia and love the extra bass.

Thinking maybe the Adam Sub8? or JBL LSR310S? Just to turn on now and then to check the low end.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump