The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion... Beautiful
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Use them first They don't lack any useful low end info. Like, at all.
They definitely do. Even Two18s without Bass Ones do lack low end info. 5inch cone simply cannot provide accurate low end low enough if you need it (EDM, Hip Hop, movie scores). They are bumpy in the 100Hz range, but below that they start to roll off pretty severely.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
They definitely do. Even Two18s without Bass Ones do lack low end info. 5inch cone simply cannot provide accurate low end low enough if you need it (EDM, Hip Hop, movie scores). They are bumpy in the 100Hz range, but below that they start to roll off pretty severely.
Hello,

So what is the best solution to control and mix the low end part? Headphones, or add a pair of speaker like my Opal that go low?
Any recommandation on speakers for that? How do you think the Opals are ?
I was wondering to change them for a pair a Neumann kh310A or a pair of Genelec 8351A?
What do you think
Regards
Sergio
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

So what is the best solution to control and mix the low end part? Headphones, or add a pair of speaker like my Opal that go low?
Any recommandation on speakers for that? How do you think the Opals are ?
I was wondering to change them for a pair a Neumann kh310A or a pair of Genelec 8351A?
What do you think
Regards
Sergio
If you have Opals without reliability issues, they are amazing speakers and I would keep them. Otherwise both of the other two are great choices, where 8351s definitely take the crown regarding imaging and accuracy. One15s are small reference speakers with limited dynamics, so complementing them with Opals is a wise idea. If your room isn’t up to task of providing good low end reproduction, I would definitely find a good headphones a must.
Old 26th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyPhil54 View Post
A good spot for me to join in the conversation. I’m about to get new monitors and I am hard pressed between a pair of One15’s & amp 100 for mixing plus a pair of Focal alpha80’s for tracking OR just a pair of One18 and an amp500. Can the One18 hold up for tracking duties in a 12’x12’ treated mix room or do I need the two pairs? My listening distance is 1-1.5 meters.
Also let me know what you think after trying them Sergio.
Thanks

I don't like the Focals really.
One 18 I have, and love very much, and for tracking they are OK to me, I mostly do track everything but drums though, pretty small room too. they are enough.

Then again, some people want solid low end and spl for tracking drums, loud and strong. One 18 won't really do that, they are more toward the passive clean hifi type, wich I'd use more for mixing in a small room than blasting/tracking in a huge room.

as For Jantex, he is probably one of the very few in this thread that didn't like them. And that's quite fine ! everyone has tastes.
I'm actually quite surprised how few people didn't like using them, impressive.

To answer the low end question, it's totally possible to work on the low end with One 18 and be 100% accurate, I feel more capable than with my (sold) SCM150ASL.
Andrew Scheps is with bookshelf SRM10-b's, CLA with NS-10's, it's been done to death and nobody NEEDS the "extension" and a 3 way get the low end right. In fact I dialed back form that.

SCM150ASL's extension and 3 way style + unlimited power were a joy for tracking/mastering, yet actually distracted me more than they helped for mixing. I'm totally confident with One 18.

to each is own

Last edited by DownSideUp; 26th April 2019 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Head

I have been using One 18 with Amp 100 for a year, and very satisfied with every genres of music.
As advertised it's beautifully accurate.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

I’m making electronic music and have found the One15s to be great for mixing low end. Despite not pushing out thumping base, what they do give you is bass you can hear quite clearly.

My tracks seem to be translating well and anything getting released gets a final tweak by a mastering engineer.

I used to run them with an Adam Sub. Whilst that gave me more and deeper bass that I could feel, i found it was impossible to make well informed decisions on. It certainly sounded more engaging with the sub, but as a mixing tool the one 15s alone are better for me.

I’d love to have a pair of Opals or something to just enjoy playback on, but my room (and spare cash pile) is too small :P
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Addict

Hey!

Moving to a new room. 4.5X5M or so. Anyone have an opinion as to wether I should go for Two 18 or is One 18 sufficient?
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just received my Amphion One 15...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
They don't lack any useful low end info.
Quote:
They definitely do.
Quote:
What is the best solution to control and mix the low end?

Add a[nother] pair of speakers?
Some contributions to this thread seem quite crazy to me - it just goes round-and-round in circles.

1. One15s are nearfields and not designed to replace a full-range monitoring system.
2. Like any monitors, One15s need to be put to work on a range of material over a period of weeks in order to learn what they can and cannot do for your mixes in your room.

So, armed with these two useful pieces of information...

Sergio,
  • How many mixes have you completed and sent out with your new One15s since you got them just yesterday?
  • What are the specific translation problems you're encountering with all the mixes you've done on your new One15s since yesterday?
I would start there and work outwards before spending €1 more on monitoring.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 30th April 2019 at 08:22 AM..
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empora View Post
Hey!

Moving to a new room. 4.5X5M or so. Anyone have an opinion as to wether I should go for Two 18 or is One 18 sufficient?

Similar dimensions in my room and I find the One18’s sufficient. If it’s sheer volume you’re concerned with, sometimes clients ask me to turn them up to the point where I can’t remain in the mix position and they still have more power left. Using an amp100.

As for some of the other comments about low end - it would not surprise me to learn that some posters are getting a paycheck from a different Finnish speaker company. The low end on the One18 is tidy and perfectly balanced in a well-treated room.
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
Similar dimensions in my room and I find the One18’s sufficient. If it’s sheer volume you’re concerned with, sometimes clients ask me to turn them up to the point where I can’t remain in the mix position and they still have more power left. Using an amp100.

As for some of the other comments about low end - it would not surprise me to learn that some posters are getting a paycheck from a different Finnish speaker company. The low end on the One18 is tidy and perfectly balanced in a well-treated room.
Thanks! Good to know this. I want to avoid a niggling "yeah but I need the sub" feeling as I would have to wait for this kind of thing. I don't need sheer volume, my resounding desire is the best speakers for mixing on, but it's good to have something "impressive" too. Clients don't always get it if you play them a quiet mix on NS10s ha ha.
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

Guys, while tracking my synth produced a loud thump and tore the driver cones on my msp7 speakers.

They are great mixing speakers at not too loud volumes but they clearly can not handel too well thump or bursts of audio.

Also to feel a track i often raise the volume a bit while tracking and they did not take it all too well obviously.

For mixing i am saving for amphion one18s.... but have real concerns nog using these for tracking. The msp7 were 500$ but i dont want to blow speakers worth 2700$!!

So is it better to always have separate mixing and tracking speakers?

What tracking speakers to complement one15 or one18s? I need 8 inch drivers i guess since the 6.5inch of the msp7 couldnt handle it all too well.

Thanks!
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Guys, while tracking my synth produced a loud thump and tore the driver cones on my msp7 speakers.

For mixing I am saving for Amphion one18s.... but have real concerns on using these for tracking. Is it better to always have separate mixing and tracking speakers? What tracking speakers to complement one15 or one18s?
I'll list some thoughts on this in no particular order:

I think most of us here agree that the smaller nearfield Amphion 'One' range are not wildly efficient compared to some other monitors, so if you like to track very loud they might not suit everyone. If I spent my life tracking loud, live bands I'd definitely be looking at something else - like maybe the 'Two' range.

I hate to admit it but I've sent some truly terrifying thumps and pops through my One15s with no adverse effect. Bass synths, hums & buzzes etc. I'm not advising this treatment(!) - just saying they've gone well past the point at which I have any right to expect them not to need a driver replacement! I'm impressed with their performance in this regard. I could always fit a limiter into the chain I suppose.

Frying monitor drivers can be as much to do with your amplification as anything else - ain't nothing like a clipped square wave to toast drivers of any size. I would strongly suspect the amps in a $500 pair of monitors lack headroom and are capable of doing mucho damage when pushed into distortion.

In my view, one of the advantages of passive monitoring systems like Amphion is you are free to choose and/or replace your own amplification and not tied to whatever's in the box. (And I totally get that for some this would be a disadvantage - each to their own.) If you head over to the 'NS10 amplification thread', the increase in headroom is one reason folks tend to drive those with anything from 200W upwards as they blow up so early when fed a distorted signal. I suspect my own choice of high-quality, clean power amps (C-Audio RA) has saved my One15s from the chopper on several occasions.

Summary - if you go the Amphion route (or indeed any passive route), give adequate thought to your amplification.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 7th May 2019 at 06:45 PM..
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Even Two18s without Bass Ones do lack low end info.
I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with this. While it’s true they don’t go down around 25Hz, but if you know how the woofer reacts to low end material and what it sounds like in your room, it’s pretty easy to get it sounding good down there.

Last edited by SeanMS; 30th April 2019 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Maniac

There is some roll-off in the 30s, but in my room (I just moved to a bigger one,) I can hear a low B on a 5 string bass just fine on a pair of Two18s. That meets my requirements for "full range." Right now, I'm not even compelled to even seek Amphion's bass solutions- despite my assumption that they might add something.

I have a subwoofer I haven't turned on in years that I might use for some other speakers I have.

To the point about playing loud, I've found it almost impossible to mix well at high volume, so that shouldn't be a thing. If I need high SPLs, I'll use my other speakers. If I need 8 Hz, I guess I'll hook up my sub for those other speakers.
Old 7th May 2019
Company Rep

AcusticaAudio on using Amphion in their plug-in development

Hi all, Here is a video that might interest this thread My name is Julian and I work at Amphion Loudspeakers in marketing. We are very proud and thankful of this thread!
Quote:
Acustica Audio on using Amphion in their plug-in development - YouTube

"Amphion has pushed the boundaries of sonic perfection. At Acustica we need a critical listening system to make sure our plugins fully reflect the analog soul of the rare units that we receive for sampling. This is exactly what Amphion has given us, utmost precision combined with a an eargasmic sound, that we have never found elsewhere. We could never ask for more. Simple as that"
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thinking about finally getting myself a pair of ONE15 s. Now wondering what amp I should get. I am following the epic monitor thread since it started, same with this thread - just haven't found recommendation or new options lately..

What are your experiences and foundings so far?
Is there more worth options then the Amp100 and maybe the Abacus 60-120D Dolifet DSP (which seems to be updated - anybody has experience with their DSP for room correction yet?)

Old 4 weeks ago
I have listened to my One15s powered by several different amplifiers, though have never tried the Amp100 outside of seeing as a demo setup. I ended up with a Jim Williams modded Adcom 545 and preferred it over 3 other "studio" amps. Hilariously, my second most preferred was actually a $100 (used) Behringer A500 class AB studio amp. There is something screwy with the design of its pots so it sounds great wide open but like a$$ on other volume pot settings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Amphion amp 100.

I don’t really understand why so many people assume that the manufacturer doesn’t know what kind of amp would be the best fit for their speakers.

Amphion speakers + Amphion cables +Amphion amps is the sonic idea the manufacturer aimed for. If you want to have the combination and sound how it was intended go this route. if you want to try other things, do it. The results may vary.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ View Post
Amphion amp 100.

I don’t really understand why so many people assume that the manufacturer doesn’t know what kind of amp would be the best fit for their speakers.

Amphion speakers + Amphion cables +Amphion amps is the sonic idea the manufacturer aimed for. If you want to have the combination and sound how it was intended go this route. if you want to try other things, do it. The results may vary.
Thank you. Sure I am aware of that. Just have tendencies to not dig too steril sound and therefor the question to other people's experiences as I don't have the possibility to test different amps
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amphion amp 100. I don’t really understand why so many people assume that the manufacturer doesn’t know what kind of amp would be the best fit for their speakers.
I'm not sure that this is the over-riding theme among the suggestions here.

No-one is suggesting running One15s with a B*hringer headphone amp, and I see relatively few people arguing that the Amp 100 isn't an excellent choice for Amphion monitors. (Aside from one individual making multiple posts advocating a particular alternative.)

Amphion's offerings in the amplification & cable department are quite pricey, at least for some of us more thrifty project guys, i.e. €1500 for the Amp 100 + cables which represent the same expenditure as the monitors themselves over again. And since the world and their dog has moved over to active monitors, there are some extremely good bargains to be had in the used power amp department which over and above a certain quality level will unquestionably deliver a fine, capable sound with any set of monitors, as the longevity and reputation of really good amp builders like Bryston & Quad etc - found in many a Gearslut studio - will show.

Personally, I run a used C-Audio RA-500 I got off eBay for €100 with my One15s. I may not be getting the exact same sound that Anssi does on the design table, but it's a heck of good amp for that kind of money and I am certain it is not 15x inferior to the Amphion offering. For sure it doesn't stop me working with no subjective impediment or sonic bottleneck to my mixes and clearly folks with their JW Adcoms, Brystons or whatever feel the same way.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 4 weeks ago at 08:34 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

AMPHION SPEAKER CABLE $ What?!

We all Now that audio cables will NOT play an audible roll in audio quality.
(the connectors are far more important)
How Come a well respected company like Amphion selling set of cables at 350$ price point.
And please don't tell me "it's connecting the monitors to the amp" electric signal don't know/care from where it go's to where, the science remains the same.
Doesn't it says something about Amphion as a company?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigalnavon View Post
How Come a well respected company like Amphion selling set of cables at 350$ price point.
And please don't tell me "it's connecting the monitors to the amp" electric signal don't know/care from where it go's to where, the science remains the same.
Really? That's where you want to go?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Really? That's where you want to go?
Thank you for your detailed insight,
Tell you what : you go, i stay.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then you don't understand the science.
IMPEDANCE

Between amplifier and driver is one place that the cable matters. I'm not going to get into the cost factor but this is an idiot's statement.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Then you don't understand the science.
IMPEDANCE

Between amplifier and driver is one place that the cable matters. I'm not going to get into the cost factor but this is an idiot's statement.
Well... I am asking about the pricing (Da)
There is a lot of quality cables with the same "IMPEDANCE" with a lower price.
You are really slutz here
Have you done a blind test with cheaper cables and pick the amphion's.
It's like a religion... God gave us this cable we must worship it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
How Come a well respected company like Amphion selling set of cables at 350$ price point. <snip>

To me it says that Amphion wants their customers to experience the sound of their speakers as they were designed to sound.

And also that they probably pay their employees a decent wage to sit and hand-braid cables all day long.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amphion amp 100.

If you are not a fan of class D then another amp may sound better suited.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
To me it says that Amphion wants their customers to experience the sound of their speakers as they were designed to sound.

And also that they probably pay their employees a decent wage to sit and hand-braid cables all day long.

175$ Single (Vintage king)

Sorry i don't believe this is legit.
Any Insight will be welcome.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

175$ Single (Vintage king)

Sorry i don't believe this is legit.
Any Insight will be welcome.
Here’s some competition for comparison:

Start at $4,900

https://silversonic.com/products/spe...yABEgIc__D_BwE
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
God, please don’t start the cable thing again. I’d pay $350 to not have to read it.

“Does.”

“Does not.”

“Does so.”

“Does not.”

Repeat for several pages until we get back on topic.

EDIT: I see now that I was too late.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search