The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion... Beautiful Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Now that I am going to receive my One 15.

I think about getting a pair of Genelec 8351 as nearfields: those seems to receive wonderful feedbacks.

Or, I keep my pair of Event Opal to take care of the lowest frequencies mixing tasks.

WHat do you guys think about that ?

Sergio
Congrats! Finally!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

I think about getting a pair of Genelec 8351 as nearfields: those seems to receive wonderful feedbacks.

Or, I keep my pair of Event Opal to take care of the lowest frequencies mixing tasks.

Sergio
How about adding Flexbase25!? I have One15, and they may not be the most impressive tracking monitors, but they are just amazing mixing tools. Would love to pair them with Flexbase25, and see if I can even master on them in my small room.

Still no Flexbase reviews. Anyone!?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solic View Post
How about adding Flexbase25!? I have One15, and they may not be the most impressive tracking monitors, but they are just amazing mixing tools. Would love to pair them with Flexbase25, and see if I can even master on them in my small room.

watch _GLM_ previous post. He seems to dislike the use of Flexbase 25 with the One 15.
Regards
Sergio
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
watch _GLM_ previous post. He seems to dislike the use of Flexbase 25 with the One 15.
Regards
Sergio
He was talking about Base25, that's the big ones. I bet the Flexbase with one15's would be killer myself. Just too much scratch for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
hehehehe... finally

Quote:

Sergio
Why do you want to replace Opals??? They are great!?
Personally I don't like the newer 8000 genelec series at all... they sound too sweet. But there are some guys, who like them for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
Longtime very happy One15 user here. I've been using them mostly in a small, heavily treated room. Translation is excellent. I don't mix very loud, they certainly get loud enough for me.

Due to some life changes, I'm going to be working in a much larger space (like 11m x 6m x 5m - it's an old barn). I've used the One15's in that room with good results. I'm wondering, though, if I should take the leap and get a pair of Two 18's. I'm not itching to spend the money, and I love the One15's, so it might be a not-broke-don't-fix situation. How different are they? What I'd like is One15's that can work a bit better in a larger room and have a little more bass. I'll try to get a pair into the larger room and have a listen before I do anything, but I'd be curious as to impressions from folks who have used both. I have a pair of ATC SCM20's (the blue ones, with SL tweeters) as well.

Karloff, I know you mentioned something about the 15's not quite cutting it in larger rooms. Any further thoughts or more specific comments?

Thanks,

Myles
I rarely see talk of the two 15’s but they seem like a possible answer for you. I have the two 18’s (w/ bass one25) but have never heard any other amphion models so I can’t do any comparisons for you :/ Those atc’s are next on my list!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sergio
That’s my combo!

Opal + One15

Love it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solic View Post

What do the One15 lack for tracking?

I'm thinking about getting a pair, my room is quite small 12m and I sit quite close to the monitors (I think the One18 will be too much but maybe I'm wrong). I track rarely and if I do it's usually guitars and bass and mostly I write electronic, are the 15's enough for a fat Moog bass?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrolic View Post

I'm thinking about getting a pair, my room is quite small 12m and I sit quite close to the monitors (I think the One18 will be too much but maybe I'm wrong). I track rarely and if I do it's usually guitars and bass and mostly I write electronic, are the 15's enough for a fat Moog bass?
They are for me. Depends if you have punters to excite or can decide for yourself what is enough, mostly.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrolic View Post

Sorry if I sent a wrong message. You can do track anything on One15. When tracking, I use my Barefoots MM45 which are loud and proud. They are very inspiring and immerging. When mixing, I use One15, and what ever sounds good on them, sounds even better on Barefoots. Since my room is small 12x10 feet, I am debating between MicroSubs45 or Flexbase25. From what I understand, I could be wrong, Flexbase25 is made for smaller rooms. Im afraid that Barefoots subs would eat my room.

Or if Im patient enough, I should save and go for Dutch & Dutch 8c.

Btw, I was exchanging couple of emails with Mads Buchardt. He showed me a photo of his new prototype monitors which, according to him, will be the first in the world to go from 20Hz-30kHz +-1dB for such a small cabinet. They are bit bigger than his current flagship model S400.

No matter what you decide to do, the best way to tell is to test in your room.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I tested the One18 in my room for a week, up against the PSI 21m's and Neumann KH310's.

They all sounded great and the Amphion's were especially wonderful in the upper mids. Acoustic guitar tracks and jazz material was just amazingly clear on them. But at the end of the day I couldn't help but be won over by the bigger, punchier sound of the PSI's. Does that mean they'll be the best tool for mixing? Time will tell. But I could definitely see how the One18's are a useful and precise tool for dialling in the all important midrange. Since I was moving up from my original first-generation passive Dynaudio BM6's, which are also on the light end for bass, it was just too much fun hearing the fuller picture from the PSI's. And of course, they cost more...

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I tested the One18 in my room for a week, up against the PSI 21m's and Neumann KH310's.

They all sounded great and the Amphion's were especially wonderful in the upper mids. Acoustic guitar tracks and jazz material was just amazingly clear on them. But at the end of the day I couldn't help but be won over by the bigger, punchier sound of the PSI's. Does that mean they'll be the best tool for mixing? Time will tell. But I could definitely see how the One18's are a useful and precise tool for dialling in the all important midrange. Since I was moving up from my original first-generation passive Dynaudio BM6's, which are also on the light end for bass, it was just too much fun hearing the fuller picture from the PSI's. And of course, they cost more...

Well what I like about One 18 is they represent a useful middle ground.
Not really exciting, right?! definitly nothing special to listen to. I mean they try to have no signature.

But that's what actually useful, they are not "special" they are clean, a passive window that gets hurt and weird when the message ( mix/master) is not right.

PSI are analytical, they are amazing, even on some weird mixes. they do throw details at you. ATC I've loved the mids.

but the Amphion are my middle ground of those qualities ( less specialized) more in between all designs I like:

comparable to ATC's mids, Psi's detail and phase, and Tannoy SRM10b natural bass and image + relaxed hifi style.

I have sold the other contenders above, even though I LOVE and prefer them for their signature, definitely addictive and enjoyable.
I could even forget those signature sounds, and work on them.

but that Amphion middle ground and transparent window had me, it is all I want to reference on
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

PSI also make you think you're done a bit too early for me, from personal experience.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
PSI also make you think you're done a bit too early for me, from personal experience.
That could well be true. But being as I'm a drummer who tracks alot of live drums, the PSI's just seemed like a better 'fit' for helping me get the kick balance right. And still plenty accurate in the mids for making small eq decisions.

Again tho, I'm comparing all of these to the first-gen BM6's. So it's a big step up, and I was ready for some true bottom-end instead of just the 'implied' lows.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
That could well be true. But being as I'm a drummer who tracks alot of live drums, the PSI's just seemed like a better 'fit' for helping me get the kick balance right. And still plenty accurate in the mids for making small eq decisions.

Again tho, I'm comparing all of these to the first-gen BM6's. So it's a big step up, and I was ready for some true bottom-end instead of just the 'implied' lows.
It's a great tool! PSI A21 are a good mixing tool for sure, but also superb for tracking, extended, loud but clean. enjoy !
Did you keep One 18 too? what's your definitive setup ?

Last edited by DownSideUp; 1 week ago at 12:39 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looking for people who would have owned Amphion one 15 or one 18 and Barefoot MicroMain 35 gen1. How do they compare?
Old 1 week ago
They compare like small clean passive speakers to a punchy complexe dsp powered and expensive beast. far different ends of the spectrum of monitor options, to me !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
They compare like small clean passive speakers to a punchy complexe dsp powered and expensive beast. far different ends of the spectrum of monitor options, to me !
though this is completely true, I would like to add that even so, if you choose one or the other based on listening to music and not working on them, and checking the end results in the real world, you would most likely choose the mighty Barefoot for mixing, and that would be a mistake
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
It's a great tool! PSI A21 are a good mixing tool for sure, but also superb for tracking, extended, loud but clean. enjoy !
Did you keep One 18 too? what's your definitive setup ?
I couldn't afford to keep the One18's AND the PSI's. I wish! But I will probably hang on to my BM6's for a while since I'm so used to them, and their lack of that bottom octave helps keep me 'honest' when I'm mixing for TV.

For now, I'm just enjoying rediscovering all my favourite 'audiophile' recordings and rock classics of the last few decades, cranked up JUST loud enough to mildly annoy my wife. :-)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So you kept the PSI’s then?

Quote:
I couldn't afford to keep the One18's AND the PSI's. I wish! But I will probably hang on to my BM6's for a while since I'm so used to them, and their lack of that bottom octave helps keep me 'honest' when I'm mixing for TV.

For now, I'm just enjoying rediscovering all my favourite 'audiophile' recordings and rock classics of the last few decades, cranked up JUST loud enough to mildly annoy my wife. :-)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
So you kept the PSI’s then?
Yup! Hopefully they'll keep me happy for another dozen years like my Dynaudios did.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

PSI A21s knocked my Two15s off the meter bridge. Both have been there for a while, but the Two15s just left.

Really surprising for me, because I typically prefer smaller woofers over bigger ones. I tried both the A17 and A21 with the expectation that I would prefer the A17...but found that once I tweaked the A21s controls, that was the model that sounded better to me in my room.

dB
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I am currently looking to upgrade from my KEF LS50 for near-field listening(Desktop Speakers). Would Amphion One12 or One15 the way to go. Has anyone heard KEF LS50 and Amphions?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamon View Post
I am currently looking to upgrade from my KEF LS50 for near-field listening(Desktop Speakers). Would Amphion One12 or One15 the way to go. Has anyone heard KEF LS50 and Amphions?
I prefer the One15s w/Amp100 over LS50 with various amps (haven't heard the active LS50). The One15 are perfect as desktop speakers and can work at +/- 1.0 meter listening triangle. I have a 27 iMac in the middle and a few inches of gap on both sides and then the One15's with a bit of toe-in on top of Isoacoustic stands (tall configuration). Aim to get the midpoint of woofer and tweeter at ear level. I've been very satisfied with these for the past 3 years in this role and location. You can use them at low volumes as well if needed and not have the sound completely change.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
I prefer the One15s w/Amp100 over LS50 with various amps (haven't heard the active LS50). The One15 are perfect as desktop speakers and can work at +/- 1.0 meter listening triangle. I have a 27 iMac in the middle and a few inches of gap on both sides and then the One15's with a bit of toe-in on top of Isoacoustic stands (tall configuration). Aim to get the midpoint of woofer and tweeter at ear level. I've been very satisfied with these for the past 3 years in this role and location. You can use them at low volumes as well if needed and not have the sound completely change.
How much better are the One15 and in what way over the LS50?
Like I tried Focal Solo6Be, Focals have better Treble but the midrange sucks compared to the LS50
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamon View Post
How much better are the One15 and in what way over the LS50?
Like I tried Focal Solo6Be, Focals have better Treble but the midrange sucks compared to the LS50
Technically in every area. Higher resolution across the board. The One15's scale nicely as well. You will hear all the changes for better or worse. The precise imaging, solid phantom, soundstage and layering, clean transients, and overall tonality just works and makes sense to me. It's easy on the ears as well. I did spend the first few months playing with the placement, toe-in angle and triangle distance etc to fine tune it for my preferences/room. Haven't touched it or felt the need to touch it in over a year. When you get it right, the sound is so fluid and gets out the way. I've had these for 3+ years now.

Hopefully others that have owned and lived with the LS50 for a long time can chime in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search