The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Female Vocal Mic Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Female Vocal Mic

I have Bock 251, Wagner 47w and AKG414 B-ULs. What should I be looking at for my next vocal microphone? For female vocalist.

I know I have great mics but now may need to record 4 voices simultaneously, hence 1 more
Old 21st August 2014
Hello maestro,

definitive a Neumann M149

Brilliant microphone for male or female.

R.
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Nut

I'm currently weighing the Urton M2 against the Flea 49 Next for female vox. The former may be similar to what you already have (although I may be wrong); the latter may well prove a welcome addition...
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for all contributions so far. I like the idea of an M49 clone, so the Flea 49 is of interest. Seems the €4,000 is the mark for such quality.

I love the Bock 251, a certain warmth. I want to make sure any new mic additions are equally as good, if not better!
Old 21st August 2014
High End Moderator

I have had amazing results with the ADK Z-Mod Z-67 on female and high male Rock vocals. It seems to handle the critical frequencies very well. I have used it on a variety of singers and it has improved the sound of each one of them compared to various different mics we figured to be the best solution for that particular voice.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Female vox? I like the trusty U89 and don't under estimate a Gefell UM70. God, there are so many friggin nice microphones out there these days it is hard to recommend just one.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Pretty much the only mic's I need for female vocals are a U87 (for a deeper voice), VTL/Langevin CR-3A and a Sennheiser MD441 - with these (and I only just got my own CR-3A) I've got it covered. If you have a selection of LDCs then a 441 is always a good option mic.
Old 21st August 2014
Take a look at the Manley Reference Cardioid. It's got a really nice modern presence type of sound. Their Reference Mono Gold mic is also excellent, it's got more of an airy quality (i.e. to my ears, the high frequency emphasis shifts to a higher octave) to the high end as compared to the Reference Cardioid. I think the Reference C would be more complementary to what you have currently. Etta James and Averil Lavigne are using the Ref C in recent years.
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I have Bock 251, Wagner 47w and AKG414 B-ULs. What should I be looking at for my next vocal microphone? For female vocalist.

I know I have great mics but now may need to record 4 voices simultaneously, hence 1 more
Sorry no help here, my first responses would be the 414 B-uls and the Bock 251.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

to be honest
none of the current available mics.

mic and pre amp modelling technology
is just around the corner
and will offer so much more value for much less.

If you can wait - wait.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

For tracking you're still going to need a real mic & a real pre to go in. And there are plenty of quality mics that are available today - many (Bock, Brauner, etc.) have been mentioned in this thread and are being made [also Sony, Schoeps, DPA, Sanken, Gefell, AEA, DIY's, etc., etc.].

Once you're in the box you can use all the modelling technology & plug-ins you want. The modelling of the physical aspects of a diaphragm reacting to a vox is something that can be used as a tool or FX - just can't see it substituting a real voice at a specific moment into a real mic. Seems too complicated? (Antares Mic Modeler - the only one out so far?)

Hope this doesn't deviate from topic & creates another "Slate" type thread.

To the OP: You already have 3 great mics!

Last edited by aremos; 21st August 2014 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Simultaneous..., okay. Is it possible you might equally gain from buying 4 older sm7' ?
Female vox, sounds like the LDC' realm is covered.
Big ass ribbon mic would balance your heavy weight locker real nice like..
If an LDC is what you're after, you would have quite a bucket list by adding anything FLEA. :-)
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

It would be helpful to know what source and kind of sound your going for. A female vocal comes in all sizes, shapes and colors. I've had a singer record through any given mic with fair sonic results, yet jaw-dropping on another. The timbre of her voice should be matched up with the mic's excelling characteristics.
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprod19 View Post
It would be helpful to know what source and kind of sound your going for. A female vocal comes in all sizes, shapes and colors. I've had a singer record through any given mic with fair sonic results, yet jaw-dropping on another. The timbre of her voice should be matched up with the mic's excelling characteristics.
Yes of course different mice and different voices . . .

I have yet to hear this group.

I like the idea of owning the Shure at some point. I own AEA R88 but that will be on the piano as I track all live.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Take a look at the Manley Reference Cardioid. It's got a really nice modern presence type of sound. Their Reference Mono Gold mic is also excellent, it's got more of an airy quality (i.e. to my ears, the high frequency emphasis shifts to a higher octave) to the high end as compared to the Reference Cardioid. I think the Reference C would be more complementary to what you have currently. Etta James and Averil Lavigne are using the Ref C in recent years.
I totally agree with the Ref C recommendation. It works wonders on female vocals.
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Addict

mod a 414...

Buy a 414BULS and install a Tim Campbell capsule. You will be floored on how good it sounds in omni pattern on a female voice!
Old 23rd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Female vox? I like the trusty U89 and don't under estimate a Gefell UM70. God, there are so many friggin nice microphones out there these days it is hard to recommend just one.
U89 is the ideal tenor/soprano vocal microphone (my go-to). The TLM170 is also worthy of strong consideration.

A Z67 as mentioned by Michael, has certainly got my attention lately too...

and the 414s with the Tim Campbell capsules? There's a reason the waiting list is MONTHS long. Demand is that high because the capsule and the results effected are THAT awesome.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
to be honest

If you can wait - wait.
Impossible to believe for me!!!
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
to be honest

If you can wait - wait.
Absolute nonesense, while manipulations in the digital domain get better and better and in the box mixes can sound amazing using plugin comps and EQs, you still need to capture the signal in the analog domain and just like a camera lens, a great mic and mic pre will always provide superior resolution. No cheap condenser with some digital sonic tricks will ever compare. just as the camera on the iPhone can't compare to a Leica, even if someone comes out with the Leica app for the iphone.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

The best vocal mic I've had the pleasure of using is the TeleUSA 251. With that said, if you are not looking for a 251 and you have the 47 covered with the Wagner I would vote for the Flea M49 or a TeleUSA C12. For something more "modern" you could certainly consider the 800G or the variety of Brauner mics along with the Bock 507.
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Nut

Some fabulous mics here - The NU-47 microphone project
Old 23rd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Just as the camera on the iPhone can't compare to a Leica, even if someone comes out with the Leica app for the iphone.
Palermo, best comparison for ever and ever !!

Terrific

R.
Old 23rd August 2014
Josephson C715 is my favorite.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Palermo, best comparison for ever and ever !!

Terrific

R.
Thanks Rolf.
Old 24th August 2014
U67
adk z67
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
I have had amazing results with the ADK Z-Mod Z-67 on female and high male Rock vocals. It seems to handle the critical frequencies very well. I have used it on a variety of singers and it has improved the sound of each one of them compared to various different mics we figured to be the best solution for that particular voice.
Thank you. Where in Europe can I buy this microphone?
Old 24th August 2014
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Absolute nonesense...No cheap condenser with some digital sonic tricks will ever compare...just like a camera lens...
lol, terrible analogy and famous last words

Old 24th August 2014
Quote:
Thank you. Where in Europe can I buy this microphone?

Golden Age Music
European Distribution
PHONE: +46 322-66-50-50
EMAIL: [email protected]

Contact ADK Microphones - 4130 SW 117th Ave #442, Beaverton, OR 97005, 1-503-296-9400
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Please give the Rode K2 a shot if you get a chance. Its much cheaper than a lot of mics, but has become my overall favorite mic for female rock vocals especially when using it with telefunken tube.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the kind words.

For me, mic modelling is not the answer. Referencing great vintage mics (without the self-noise) is the goal.

Our findings have been that different style capsules actually react better with different transformers.

The Capsules in the Z-Mods took nearly a half a decade to create, and it took an additional year to
get our 'golden-ear' beta-testers to pick an Optimal Tranny to 'marry' to each of the five capsules.

The Z-67 and Z-251 are almost dead even in popularity. The 67 being the most flattering on
the widest range of source-material. Particularly for female, but check out Lincoln Brewster's
last and also his upcoming albums! The Z-67 seems to have fans for both male and female vox.

A lot of great mics out there, to be sure. Z-Mods - I humbly submit - have a place among them.

All the best in your mic search!

Email me directly with any questions - [email protected]

Larry Villella, ADK)))
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search