The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Female Vocal Mic Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Villella View Post
We're a Custom Shop. We build what people ask for!

There's a website with 6400 colors to choose from.

Prismatic Powders

Or you can elect to acquire the Z-67's little brother, the CS-67L.

The difference is instead of Accu-Sound Silver-Pro Cable, it's Accu-Sound Copper (Like the Tele's use).

Instead of a Chrome Grille and a Powder-Coat Body, it's the original Silver Body.

Same Mic on the inside, a few less costly accessories in the flight case is all.

Point is we will built a mic to suit each client individually.

Had one client who wanted Orange....

Wow cool!
Not sure about the Orange, maybe so no one would nick it...:-)

I'm in Mr Villella, look forward to knowing first hand what the zmod 67 is like.
Fwiw, I wasn't in the market for another LDC', but it might be a great time to experience a custom developed ADK product.
Thanks for the bread crumbs..
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The K-2 is a very interesting mic for several reasons.

It exhibits a rare Triple-Bell Curve.

(Because it's how you scoop as much as how you boost).

The Center-Point Peak Freq are around 1.2kHz, 4.5kHz and 12kHz.

The second remarkable thing - a K-2 has an immense 150dB of Headroom!

I think a great App drum O/H in a rock band because it
enhances the wash of cymbals without too much hype.

As for vocals - the K-2 is more of the Austrian than German tonality to my ear.

Larry Villella / ADK)))
I own two of the Rode K-2s and have used them on a ton of stuff and they are really fantastic as drum overheads as Larry describes. I have used them on female vocals a lot as well and while certainly not the best mic in the world, really hard to beat for the low price.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Got solder?...

...for those with soldering skills, there's always the DIY route...this M269c kit employs PCBs based directly on original Neumann schematics...minor tweaks to compensate for unobtainium AC701 tube being replaced with NOS military-grade Raytheon 5840...sounds wonderful on female vocals and lots more...more info here:

Neumann M269c Clone : D-M269c Tube Microphone Build Thread +(sample)

...PCB designer Dany Bouchard, who was collaborating on the AMI/TAB/Funkenwerk mic clones with Oliver Archut, prior to his untimely passing (RIP), also offers M49b and M49c options, which excel on female vocals:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50834.0

...more info on his site:

http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com/

Attached Thumbnails
Female Vocal Mic-m269.1.jpg   Female Vocal Mic-m269c.2.jpg   Female Vocal Mic-terrebonne-20130310-00988.jpg  
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interestingly, I got an email from Chuck Ainlay's assistant over the weekend.

Seems they were doing overdubs on a female vocalist with a Vintage U-67,
and the artist said she wanted that "other mic" back. It was a Z-67. As a
collector (and user) of vintage mics for over forty years, I love the tone of
the original 'classics'. That said, it is possible, I think, to improve on them.
Hi Mr V,
Adam contacted me about demoing the 67, thanks for teeing that off.

I'm grateful to have the chance to demo your design before committing to a custom purchase.
I'll share my thoughts with you directly, once I have a chance to really spend some hours with the z/Mod67.
Thanks for this well timed offer.
Talk soon man :-)
Old 27th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Adam contacted me about demoing the 67, thanks for teeing that off.
I'm grateful to have the chance to demo your design before committing to a custom purchase.
Lucky Man

R.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yea me too!
I know I have need of a 67 type...and I've waited for Flea to develop their own version but I'm keen to experiment with any company taking a modern look at a classic sound.
Flea builds a 67 and I'm in that queue!
Flea have been great to us and I'm devoted to the devotion I am extended by that mob.
For my part, I don't require exact replicas cuz I lack the nostalgia bug, I'm more intrigued by the modern interpretations of an already fine thing.
I haven't even seen the mic and already, adk seem to do things properly.
Great start to my day!
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
For my part, I don't require exact replicas cuz I lack the nostalgia bug, I'm more intrigued by the modern interpretations of an already fine thing.
I haven't even seen the mic and already, adk seem to do things properly.
...well, based on those comments, the ADK Z-67 might be what you're looking for...certainly not a replica, but more a "modern interpretation", I guess was what Larry was shooting for...more of a 47-style headbasket...hi-impedance tube (12AX7) and low-ratio transformer (7:1 more similar to a U47)...passive EQ for the K67-type capsule...

Attached Thumbnails
Female Vocal Mic-adk-67.jpg  
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...well, based on those comments, the ADK Z-67 might be what you're looking for...certainly not a replica, but more a "modern interpretation", I guess was what Larry was shooting for...nothing internally other than a K67-style capsule bears much resemblance to the Neumann topology...hi-impedance tube (12AX7) and low-ratio transformer (7:1 more similar to a U47)...passive EQ for the K67 capsule...

Yea, I took that into account. The 12ax7 doesn't necessarily appeal to me but I am interested in how this modernised version utilises the ax7.
Without hearing it thus far, on paper, this sounds (possibly?) closer to the RefC
mic....which is very cool with me.
Im not meaning to compare designs, just sound.
My RefC runs off a 1968 ecc83 valve and really warms the potentially brittle highs.
I could be completely wrong.
But I think it's a fairer comparison at this point than to compare against our Flea'.
I'm excited to learn more, that's what perks my interest.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Actually, I just got off the phone with ADK rep Adam ( Oz).
They are sending the entire zmod line to demo.
Yes there are Gods and there is a Heaven.
Ode to Joy.
Happy days!
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

My faves for female, U87, SM57-hand held close to lips, or 77DX.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

I will probably spring for the Z Mod 67 from ADK.

I am thinking of another microphone for vocals. However, I love my Bock 251. If I am going to spend a lot of money I want to be certain what I buy is an equal match to the Bock 251. So while perhaps I should get another Bock 251 how would the list below fare against it (yes I know it relates to voice type)

Josephon 716 (or 715 - can someone explain the difference please?)
Gefell UM92.1 (not sure which version is best)
Flea 49
Blackspade UM17R
CharterOak 538B
Brauner VM1

Thank you

Last edited by maestro; 30th August 2014 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

I have narrowed my choice down to:

Josephson C715 or C716
ADK Z-Mod 67
Blackspade UM17R (or Charter Oak 538b)

Any more opinions before I spring for 'em
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I have Bock 251, Wagner 47w and AKG414 B-ULs. What should I be looking at for my next vocal microphone? For female vocalist.

I know I have great mics but now may need to record 4 voices simultaneously, hence 1 more
My recommendations are the Neumann M149 (bright but silky smooth), M269C (smooth and deep with a nice top end boost), U89 (fairly flat but nice), or even the U87 (this thing tends to win out a lot, and it is a piece of cake to EQ).

Matt
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
My recommendations are the Neumann M149 (bright but silky smooth), M269C (smooth and deep with a nice top end boost), U89 (fairly flat but nice), or even the U87 (this thing tends to win out a lot, and it is a piece of cake to EQ).

Matt
Given your mic collection, a U87 would prove a good addition.
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post

Matt
I'm guessing M269Cs are hard to find and very expensive. I've read many negative views on both the Neumann M149 and U87.

Try before buy I guess, not really an option in Ireland for so many products.
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Nut

Many people on here love to discredit the U87. It's a great mic. It's not going to sound superb on everything, but it almost always works. Moreover, in the context of a mix, I find the U87 really shows its worth. Soloed it might sound inferior to some other mic, but in the mix it's another matter entirely.
Old 3rd September 2014
The quote function seems to be misfunctioning but to Overman's point
Quote:
Many people on here love to discredit the U87. It's a great mic. It's not going to sound superb on everything, but it almost always works. Moreover, in the context of a mix, I find the U87 really shows its worth. Soloed it might sound inferior to some other mic, but in the mix it's another matter entirely.
This is completely accurate. I find the same for many microphones in both Neumann families. The U87, U89, TLM170, TLM102, etc and the NG Mseries likewise always seem to sit right in a mix.
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Z-269 (?)

Quote:
I'm guessing M269Cs are hard to find and very expensive.
Call me old-school, I have a strong preference for vintage Neumann mics.

They seem to be smoother and more sonorous - especially for digital
vs. the modern one's which seem more clinical to my ear. I particularly
find troubling the fact that so many lack transformers which for vocals
I find to be euphonic. Compare a TLM-67 and a U-67. World apart IMO.

Lincoln Brewster, who tracked "Real Life" with a Z-67 told me
that I really should have called it a Z-269 because it has that
slightly greater amount of mid-range that is what makes a 269
different than a 67 (Broadcast version). Fact is the most useful
mic in my personal mic locker is an M-269, and the Z-67 sounds
very close in terms of tone-color to this mic. Even though I have
a really mint U-47, I find the M-269 covers a lot more applications.

The goal was to have the Z-67 paint in 'broad brushstrokes' as well.
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

I find this such a curious thread. I don't believe there's ever a one size fits all solution for a source class. You've got a nice collection so far, it seems like this is a wonderful excuse to add to it.

For my needs (one specific female voice) I can use either a Sony C37A or an M49 for a great result suiting this voice. If it were a different female, neither might fit the bill.
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
I find this such a curious thread. I don't believe there's ever a one size fits all solution for a source class. You've got a nice collection so far, it seems like this is a wonderful excuse to add to it.

For my needs (one specific female voice) I can use either a Sony C37A or an M49 for a great result suiting this voice. If it were a different female, neither might fit the bill.
Yes ideally i would like to buy 2 or 3 microphones that give me the option to cover as many voice types as possible. It will be expensive to try and match my Wagner 47 and Bock 251.

I'm not certain if the 47 will work on female vocal and I'm looking for something better sounding that the AKG414.

I was considering 2 mics in the $2,000 (UM17R and maybe Charter Oak 538) or less region and a Josephson C715.
Old 4th September 2014
Quote:
I've read many negative views on both the Neumann M149 and U87.
I'm not sure, this guys with the negative views, really work with this mics...

R.
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
I'm not sure, this guys with the negative views, really work with this mics...

R.
I agree Rolf. M149 is an excellent microphone and the 87 is a steadfast reliable industry workhorse for obvious reasons, it too is a fantastic mic!

Just a side note, I recorded a few tracks
using the ZMOD/67 last night..lovely microphone from ADK. I really like it alot!
It doesn't compare to vintage, it's a very modern solution that gives access to quality, at a price point that's real hard to ignore.
I agree with Maestro Wagener, the ADK zmod 67 is a fantastic mic for vox, acoustics, etc. I will use it for dynamics bgv if I get to keep it.
The blue paint job is not so sissy looking in real life. :-)
Nice job Larry
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

I insist on trying at least the Rode K2 as one of the two mics. I usually use it over the Neuman. I have never tried the ADK mic, so no idea there. But my point is the $700 sounds better imo than the $3.5k neuman in most female vocals. The place where you want another mic, is for those vocalist that have a nasal tone. Those are the cases where I end up using the Neuman, or something else. I usually its between those 2 for me.
Old 5th September 2014
C715 is my hands-down favorite vocal mic, especially for female vox. Even beats out my Manley Gold, u48, and m269.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Neumann M269C used here:

Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Lucky Man

R.
I have to echo this statement again, I'm really digging the ZMOD 67 from ADK.
I've given it a thorough run thru and I can't think of anything I would not try this mic on.
Female vocals; smooth mellow vibe, no covered tones, beautifully detailed highs that have an airiness that seems to extend infinitely. It's that vintage tone we all chase, with all but no noise.
I really like this microphone alot.
I tracked acoustic gtr with it, ran it through the Neve and remarkably, I preferred it's capture with No EQ. Light slow bump is all it got during tracking.
Stunning detail.
It holds it own alongside any of my + 5k mics admirably.
I don't mind saying, I was unexpectedly surprised to dig this mic as much as I do.
I can't compare to anything I have but it has that Neumann feel to it, and dare I say in the realm of a 269, but not too compare, just a reference imho.

Keep in mind this mic is 1/8 the cost of my big boys...that in itself is something to be commended.
Nice job ADK.
I'm buying it. :-)
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to echo this statement again, I'm really digging the ZMOD 67 from ADK.
I've given it a thorough run thru and I can't think of anything I would not try this mic on.
Female vocals; smooth mellow vibe, no covered tones, beautifully detailed highs that have an airiness that seems to extend infinitely. It's that vintage tone we all chase, with all but no noise.
I really like this microphone alot.
I tracked acoustic gtr with it, ran it through the Neve and remarkably, I preferred it's capture with No EQ. Light slow bump is all it got during tracking.
Stunning detail.
It holds it own alongside any of my + 5k mics admirably.
I don't mind saying, I was unexpectedly surprised to dig this mic as much as I do.
I can't compare to anything I have but it has that Neumann feel to it, and dare I say in the realm of a 269, but not too compare, just a reference imho.

Keep in mind this mic is 1/8 the cost of my big boys...that in itself is something to be commended.
Nice job ADK.
I'm buying it. :-)
A very positive review. Great to be sent a Mic to try out from Larry/ADK.

What +5k mice are you comparing the Z Mod 67 to? I'm close to buying it too but very tempted by the numerous reports I'm reading about the Josephson C715.
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
A very positive review. Great to be sent a Mic to try out from Larry/ADK.

What +5k mice are you comparing the Z Mod 67 to? I'm close to buying it too but very tempted by the numerous reports I'm reading about the Josephson C715.
I can pm you a full response, the Josephson mic is also very nice, maybe too unique for my tastes.
The Zmod 67 covers ALOT of ground and it feels indestructible to be honest.
I've had a really nice time with a fresh sound, and yeah I owe it to Larry and Adam for making it happen.
All through this thread! :-)
It really was a nice treat to demo the set, considering I rare if ever get out of studio to poke around and check out new stuff.
I took the fact that they showed up the same week I crack into a new job as an opportunity to really have a go.
Of the four, I can afford one.
The ADK company mannerism and quality product convinced me that Larry and his Zmod line are a worthy if not pragmatic choice to invest in.
Good luck with your choice mate!
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can pm you a full response, the Josephson mic is also very nice, maybe too unique for my tastes.
The Zmod 67 covers ALOT of ground and it feels indestructible to be honest.
I've had a really nice time with a fresh sound, and yeah I owe it to Larry and Adam for making it happen.
All through this thread! :-)
It really was a nice treat to demo the set, considering I rare if ever get out of studio to poke around and check out new stuff.
I took the fact that they showed up the same week I crack into a new job as an opportunity to really have a go.
Of the four, I can afford one.
The ADK company mannerism and quality product convinced me that Larry and his Zmod line are a worthy if not pragmatic choice to invest in.
Good luck with your choice mate!

It's great to find a mic that you are really happy with. For me the Z Mod 67 would cost $3,500, the Josephson almost $4,500. Hopefully it's a case of I can't go wrong with either!

Thanks for the good wishes!
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

I like a lot U67 for making female voice really fat, also Siemens SM204 is amazing because of sizzle and character. Also like M49 but only for country and jazz.My black horse is SM69 recorded on one capsule.Has amazing euphonic highs and a bit different colour than M269.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search