The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot MM27 Gen1 vs Gen2 Studio Monitors
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut

Barefoot MM27 Gen1 vs Gen2

Hi guys

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a used pair of Barefoot MM27 Gen1s and I was wondering if there was a significant sonic difference between the gen 1s and gen 2s beyond the DSP emulation technology that that gen 2 have. Thanks!
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat View Post
Hi guys

I'm looking at potentially purchasing a used pair of Barefoot MM27 Gen1s and I was wondering if there was a significant sonic difference between the gen 1s and gen 2s beyond the DSP emulation technology that that gen 2 have. Thanks!
coming from 6 years on gen 1's I think the gen 2's are totally worth the expense.
it felt like a significant upgrade to me.wider sweet spot,more depth/natural sounding.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
coming from 6 years on gen 1's I think the gen 2's are totally worth the expense.
it felt like a significant upgrade to me.wider sweet spot,more depth/natural sounding.
Thanks for the reply! Anybody else care to weigh in?
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

I also think the gen 2s are a very different beast...the top end is much more present and the stereo imaging is improved. If you are getting the gen 1s for a steal, go for it. If the prices are close to new, go with the gen 2s.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I also think the gen 2s are a very different beast...the top end is much more present and the stereo imaging is improved. If you are getting the gen 1s for a steal, go for it. If the prices are close to new, go with the gen 2s.
I agree, the Gen1's are the better deal if you're paying around $6,500 for a used pair vs. $9K for a new pair of Gen 2's, and the Gen 1's will also perform better than the new 35's IMO. Not all Gen 1's are the same though. Best to get a later pair of Gen 1's after they added the "forgiving/flat" setting on the back and changed some other parts of the design. If money is no issue, then go for the MM12's, they are the closest thing to a fountain of happiness on this earth.
Old 29th September 2018
Here for the gear

Hello.. looking for a pair of mm27 gen1 and was wondering when were the "forgiving/flat" setting on the back and the changed parts of the design made? The ones i’m looking are from 2000. Thanks.
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

I'm confused by this. I own serial numbers 9 and 10 and they have the voicing switch. I believe only the original prototypes didn't. There was a cabinet change at some point....the cabinet fabrication was taken out of house but it didn't affect performance.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search