The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using a converter with 8 ins and outs for summing Summing Mixers
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Nut

Using a converter with 8 ins and outs for summing

There are a lot of converters that are high end that offer 8 ins and 8 outs only.
Prism, JFC, Apogee etc.
If you use a summing mixer with that converter of only 8 ins and outs, what mixer are you using and how are you setting it up?
most high end summing mixers are minimum of 16 ins and outs like the Rupert neve 5059, mix master 20, etc.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

ADT Audio ToolMix 8 is just perfect for an 8 channel converter. It has inserts, panning, make-up gain, auxes on every channel. 8 Channel summing mixer ToolMix8 I use two of them in tandem, as you can couple them easily into one big mixer.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Depends on how much summing you want to do. You can always work your DAW mix down to four stereo busses and send those out of your 8-channel converter into your summing box. No you won't be using all of the summing channels, but you're still going OTB. Especially if you have some outboard boxes on those four busses to treat those stereo feeds. Most folks will say summing at that level isn't worth it. But I say do what the hell you want to do and make music. There are a lot things you can grab for relatively cheap though. You can grab something like an RME hammer fall with 24 channels of ADAT ($500) and grab three Behringer 8-channel ADAT modules ($175 each) and be done for ~$1000. Not Antelop, Prism, or Apogee conversion, but you'll be in business. Then use your dollars to get some good outboard gear (Elysia compressor and EQ, and a couple of 500 series modules like a Serpent Audio SB4001 buss compressor. You'll have a lot of fun with a set up like this.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

I use a Ross Martin D/A going spdif out of my DAW for monitoring. That leaves exactly 8 outs, of which happen to be Blacklion Modded D/A on my Profire2626. I have both a Unit Audio Micro-Unit as well as a Midas F16R to choose from. When I do sum the 8 outs(lately I have not been), it tends to be one of these setups scenario, depending on what I'm going for:

(if the kick and bass relationship is what needs to move the song)
1/2 - Drums (no kick)
3/4 - Gtrs
5/6 - Backup Vocals/synths/Strings
7 - Bass/kick
8 - Lead Vocals

or

(if drums just need to hit hard)
1/2 - Drums
3/4 - Gtrs/Bass
5/6 - All Vocals
7 - Kick
8 - Snare

or

(Vocal focus song)
1/2 - all drums
3/4 - Gtrs/bass/synths/strings
5/6 - Backup Vocals
7 - Lead Vocals verses(bridge if bridge comes down momentarily)
8 - Lead Vocals Choruses/Bridge

So I have a setup for most scenarios here, but as hinted at before, I haven't been setting this up much lately. I've simply been running my mixes through a pair of colored preamps and buss compressor and done...no need for the summing as of late.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search