The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC SCM20 PSL vs. PMC TB2 (original) vs. Quested S7R - Studio Monitors
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

ATC SCM20 PSL vs. PMC TB2 (original) vs. Quested S7R -

Hi there.

I'm going to buy a pair of nearfield monitors for my home studio. For now there are no acoustic treatments in my room, but it'll be my next step.

I already have some 3-ways russian monitors as my main monitors (1+5+10"). So I just need quality nearfield pair. Also I already have an ADCOM GFA-545 (original version from 1986).

TB2
I've been listen to PMC TB2 in room with good acoustic treatment and I was shocked by their clarity, transients and 3D-stereo image. But they are very sensitive to room mod's that I doesn't have yet.

SCM20
The new one ATC SCM20 PSL have some very strange specs for their low frequencies respond – 55Hz ±6db or 80Hz ±2db. So I'm afraid to spend about 4k$ and find out that it doesn't suit me with their low frequencies respond.

S7R
Also I've been received many advices to buy a pair of Quested S7R. But I can't even imagine how they can sound.

So please leave your feedback here if you have already compared two of these speakers.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
The PMC TB2 have been discontinued, replaced in a way by the two two series. There may be a few pieces in the dealer channel but I'd guess they are getting rare now.

I work with PMC in the U.S. and can say that the TB2 are no more or less sensitive to positioning than any other speaker, and I've placed them countless times.
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

Yes, they have been discontinued and are rare now but in case with TB2 I'll buy them on ebay.
As for room's mods for TB2 — I've been read many feedback from users who doesn't tamed TB2 and and were forced to sell them.

P.S. Actually TB2 were replaced by series of own mods: TB2+ and TB2S+. TB2S+ are available for purchase in many shops, but I don't like the way a silk twitter is sounding.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
OK. Just to repeat I actually work with PMC commissioning speakers in studios, everything from home studios to a full refit of Capitol Studios. I've placed and worked with all of the various TB2 in many many rooms and I can tell you for a fact that they are not any more or less difficult to place than any other speaker. I've had them beside every single brand of speaker you can name and seen and heard how the various speakers and rooms interact.

Where are you based?
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
I've had them beside every single brand of speaker you can name and seen and heard how the various speakers and rooms interact.

Where are you based?
What kind for example?

I'm based in Ukraine, so (as for SCM20 and S7R) I can't even listening before buying.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
Well, I thought everything kinda covered it! Do I need to list all of the popular monitor speakers?

I used to live in Ireland so I know how difficult and frustrating it is when you can't easily demo gear. I won't offer opinions on any of the competitors gear but if I can help you in any way with PMC questions feel free to PM.

Gearslutz is such a large community that you may find someone nearby who has the other models you'd like to check out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search