The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tweed recording studio robbed-- a range modules taken Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Head

Tweed recording studio robbed-- a range modules taken

Hi everyone.. My studio here in Oxford, Mississippi was broken in to last night... I was on the first day of installing a Trident A Range that was recently acquired from Soma studios in Chicago... The thief stole all of our TV's, monitors, and a box of four of the monitor modules from the A Range....as well as a 1968 Rickenbacker 366 Conversion guitar serial number hf1072 that were in the lounge area. If anyone comes across either of these items please let me know. Thank you for your time... I sincerely appreciate it!

-Andrew Ratcliffe
Tweed Recording
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

That really sucks. I hope your stuff shows up, Andrew.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Crap!
Sorry for your loss man.
Hope you find the scum sucking thief and get your stuff back.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Damn, that's a low act!! Commiserations, Andrew - it's a pretty nasty blow!

Strange assortment of fairly bulky items taken (at least a car load if not a small van...). And, mercifully, I gather they didn't get into the control room or mic locker, which could have been much worse. Still it's gotta hurt.

It might be worth posting more details - models and descriptions of the monitors, for example, and even pics (and any more serial nos) if you have them. I'm assuming you mean computer/video monitors rather than speakers, but that's not clear atm.

Dare I ask if its covered by insurance (regardless, I realise that the Trident modules and the '68 Rick won't be easy to replace)? Fingers crossed for you that the gear can be recovered (and the creep/s responsible held to account).
Old 9th August 2014
Here for the gear

Man that sucks...I'm in Corinth, not too far away....I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 9th August 2014
Sorry to hear this.:-(

I hope you get your property back and that the thiefs get disassembled for vital organs without anaesthetics.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

SH*T.......That totally Sucks Man! Seems like they had little idea what they were doing and grabbed what was saleable ASAP and possibly they took the modules not knowing what they were hoping for gold? Sure TV's and Video Monitors or CPU Monitors are those easy things to dump like guitars, sounds like crack heads etc. Hope you were Insured, and if you find them, throw one for me!
Bastard Act!
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Head

Stolen Gear Pics

Here is a picture of the Conversion Rickenback serial# hf1072 and four of the same Trident modules....
Attached Thumbnails
Tweed recording studio robbed-- a range modules taken-stolen-gear.jpg  
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm surprised your mic locker wasn't touched.

Crazy that this happened in my state; I live in Florence, just south of Jackson.

Sorry for your loss!
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Man this sucks. I agree that it sounds like crack heads not knowing really what they were grabbing. Probably a good thing since looking at your mic locker list on your website it could have been much worse!

I think when people get broken into posting some basic info as to HOW the studio was broken into can help others secure their own spaces against this type of thing. Everyone on here hates a thief for obvious reasons. I know that you are still in the throws of dealing with this, but if you can, please let us know how they gained access (smashed window, crowbar to front door etc) and if there was a security system (alarm, cameras, monitoring etc).

I am in the middle of a build in a commercial area that gets some crime from the nearby low class housing areas and have been working on my building security....and last week someone stole my security cameras from the top of my building!

Anyhow, my heart goes out to you. People that steal like this are selfish losers that only care about themselves and give no thought that they were actually taking TOOLS that you use to make a living. Drugs are a wonderful thing....not.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Man this sucks. I agree that it sounds like crack heads not knowing really what they were grabbing. Probably a good thing since looking at your mic locker list on your website it could have been much worse!

I think when people get broken into posting some basic info as to HOW the studio was broken into can help others secure their own spaces against this type of thing. Everyone on here hates a thief for obvious reasons. I know that you are still in the throws of dealing with this, but if you can, please let us know how they gained access (smashed window, crowbar to front door etc) and if there was a security system (alarm, cameras, monitoring etc).

I am in the middle of a build in a commercial area that gets some crime from the nearby low class housing areas and have been working on my building security....and last week someone stole my security cameras from the top of my building!

Anyhow, my heart goes out to you. People that steal like this are selfish losers that only care about themselves and give no thought that they were actually taking TOOLS that you use to make a living. Drugs are a wonderful thing....not.
My new security measure is to never change the appearance of the old stuff.
I leave it as is , but not connected to anything.
Then I run all my stuff either underground or inside the walls.
I only use radio communications to the security alarm company and most of my video cameras are fake , with a real camera hidden and looking at everything , including the fake cameras.
The new system I'm putting in this year alerts me on my iPhone and I can not only see them day or night , but can speak to them .
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Head

Bummer. All of the preventive suggestions are great including video cameras and multiple camera recording...and keeping security wiring underground or behind walls...in conduit if possible...even wired cable modems (no wireless!) on dedicated security lines can be concealed in conduit junction boxes...

If these criminals are caught, make sure you make yourself heard to the local district attorney. Insist on a lengthy jail sentence for each and all involved in the theft, demand jail time (nothing less), no early release, no good behavior sentence reduction; the entire jail sentence to be served without modification. If the DA or judge refuse to go along with a long jail sentence, make sure your friends in the broadcast and print media help make their lives miserable by continually labeling them as soft on crime.
Old 13th August 2014
Low lifes.
I hope you catch them.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Addict

that really sucks man. Your rates(if they are correct on your site) are a friggin bargain btw. Hope you get sorted out soon.
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

No doubt you've been thru this though?
I'm sure you have the eBay/Craigslist Net thrown out over this stuff. I mean this site gets a boatload of traffic from people jut casually looking at stuff not logged in so the traffic is pretty huge. Man.....hope you guys have insurance! My only advice now - Steel door with Reinforced Steel Plated Front/Then a 2nd Door that locks over it with Solid Core Bars 4 Feet away so you can lock up after you leave knowing there is a space between the two doors or three External (and the Internal Doors) Steel Doors and people can't even, Jemmy, or use a blow torch to get a door off with any substance. I'm Steel plated all the way for Front Shop Studios & Buildings!

Hope it get's Better - Hope you find the F*ckers!
Good Luck!
Old 5th September 2014
What always bothers me about hearing that a studio was robbed is the fact that this is not a labor for riches, it is a labor of love. Having invested everything into a studio that makes an income that will likely not gain the attention of Forbes that, incidentally, may have produced the thief's favorite song for that matter, these robberies tend to have some additional level of malevolence that simply angers. Always sorry to hear this and it should make all of us aware that we can be targets. Consumer electronics resale is virtually nonexistent nowadays so only professional electronics are tempting I suppose. Now that does suck.
Old 7th September 2014
I absolutely feel sorry about it. Was robbed too by fraud. Feels so sad, because this gear is still in our soul.
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Addict

Look up my previous posts when it comes to protecting your studio.

Use Italian locks like CR Serrature with the multi-pin technology and a 12 inch strike (see prior posts for a link to a locksmith that will ship this kind of lock to you. It's small consolation to say that the insurance company has your back when your space, your dreams, and often, very hard to find pieces of history be it musical or personal are pilfered and your heart and creative space has been trampled on.

Griils
Heavy duty strikes
Real security doors
A prison door inside the steel door

Pepper spray sprayers are an option, you just have to post a warning or the thief could sue you.

Just keep adding time to the equation. The more time it takes to break in the less they want to be around.

A couple of rottweilers add some chomp to the equation.

Sounds paranoid but so far....

No one has made it past the first external layer of my place and they have tried, believe me.

Knock on wood.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Guru

Any news Tweed?
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas! I have upgraded the locks and alarm system, as well as a 24 hour video system and an outside sliding metal door over the existing door... None of the modules or guitar has shown up in any pawn shops in the south, ebay, craigslist, reverb, etc... (i have just about called everyone of them as well as the music stores) The good news is after an exhausting search I have found four monitor modules from all over the states in different stages of being complete and will, along with extra parts from my extras will be able to rebuild the modules to true and original A Range parts!!! Thanks again for the positive vibes and keeping a eye out for my gear!
Old 16th September 2014
Gear Guru

I'm glad you'll get that loverly console happening.
Old 18th September 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear about this, man.
It is certainly no fun.
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Addict

Who helped you move the new stuff in?
Old 20th September 2014
Gear Head

I know this doesn't help, but 3 years ago, someone kicked in the door on the side of my house which leads to the basement/studio, or upstairs into the first floor. I was amused at their ignorance when I realized they walked right past 2 US model PRS's, both of my Mesa Boogie rigs, my Takamine Accoustic and other miscelaneous gear....all so they could get at the Nintendo wii, the PS3, a 7 year old HP Laptop, and an 7 year old 42" 1080i TV. The Laptop was broken, missing like 4 keys. All in all, they grabbed about 300$ street value worth of items. Idiots.
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Nut

I'm sorry for your loss :(
Although, I appreciate you posting this and reminding me that I need to make a safe note of serial numbers for absolutely EVERYTHING I own.
So thank you for that.
Old 30th September 2014
500 series nutjob

sucks!
i hate a thief!!!!
Hope you manage to get your gear back.
Keep us posted.
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Maniac

So sorry to hear about that

I use clarion insurance they are the best in insurance replacement for music ins I hope this helps anyone again so sorry that happened
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post
My new security measure is to never change the appearance of the old stuff.
I leave it as is , but not connected to anything.
Then I run all my stuff either underground or inside the walls.
I only use radio communications to the security alarm company and most of my video cameras are fake , with a real camera hidden and looking at everything , including the fake cameras.
The new system I'm putting in this year alerts me on my iPhone and I can not only see them day or night , but can speak to them .

If you can Speak To Them, next time Tell them......"The Red Dye Bomb goes off in 3 seconds, the door is now locked, and the Dye stains for 6 months!
That would be a subversive crackheads nightmare I'd imagine!" Glad you've found some modules etc.

TLB
Old 1st January 2015
I were scammed by Cartec Audio eq-pre. So I know what it is..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search