The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Purple MC77 for Killer Bass Signal Chain? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Nut

Purple MC77 for Killer Bass Signal Chain?

I'm looking to set up a killer chain for a DI bass signal. I've done a lot of research in this forum and it seems the Purple has a lot of fans for bass. Are there other ones I should be paying attention to? I don't care if they're more expensive. So to the $3000 range are there any others I should be considering?

The chain would also consist of a BAE 1073 and a Retro 2a3.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I love the 77 for bass. For dense hard rocking stuff it's amazing. Definitely worth trying, see if it works for you.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I have a dbx 160vu clone I use on bass and its pretty awesome. I also like my spy 525. And la2a when I had one.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

I like the 1176 and 16vu for bass if I'm doing rock, but in general prefer a Distressor for rock or pop bass. If I'm doing a ballad, R&B, etc...I tend to go opto like la2a or cl1b. So it really depends...I've had excellent results with my BAE 10dc and I loved the sound I got out of an API2500 the times I've used it on bass. Depends on the bass too, if the player has a Stringray or a Pbass will determine a lot as well. Gotta plug in and try things out really. If I'm making a recommendation, the most versatile IMO is the Distressor. If you've peeked around this High End section of GS, you'll have noticed Mr. Lugo's recently switched to a Distressor on bass for mixing, but it's excellent for tracking as well and offers a lot of options.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Count me as a big fan of the Purple for bass
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

What about that UBK Fatso? I've read a lot of good things about that one here. How does that one stack up to the Purple? I'm kinda in the same boat.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have one for sale if you're interested.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ive been working on an Americana album project recently and have been DIing bass thru a BAE1073mpf into a Purple MC77 while also micing a 1961 B15-N with a 414. The DI chain sounds great and the amp sounds equally great. And the blend of both is very nice. The bass is a Sadowsky NYC P with Sadowsky flats.
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
What about that UBK Fatso? I've read a lot of good things about that one here. How does that one stack up to the Purple? I'm kinda in the same boat.
They couldn't be more different. The Fatso has fixed compression settings, and a variety of additional no compression settings/features to make things softer and generate harmonic distortion. The Purple is always fast (as are all 1176 type compressors) but it has variable attack, release and ratio. The Purple also ranges from slightly to significantly cleaner and brighter than a FATSO (depending on how the FATSO is set).

The Fatso (not sure why it has to be the UBK in particular though, the original regular version is also excellent and just as versatile and it will save you money) will do slower but doesn't have the ability to be variable in the way an 1176 does. If you want a more colored, mid rich version of an 1176 (like splitting the difference between a Purple and a Fatso) look at a modern UA or vintage model, these are complementary to a Purple and it just depends on what the production needs.
Old 10th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
If you want a more colored, mid rich version of an 1176 (like splitting the difference between a Purple and a Fatso) look at a modern UA or vintage model, these are complementary to a Purple and it just depends on what the production needs.
Yeah got the Purple mc77, and i find it a little too high-fi clean and bright for my taste on bass. Prefer it on something to add a little brightness which is usually the snare for me. Recently i've been diggin' the UA 1176 re-issue. It still has the brightness, but instead of the high-fi clean it gives you more of a vintage vibe. Tried the LA-3A and that just seemed a little to dull for me on bass. Might use that on something where i would want to tame the highs(guitar for me usually). Some people say it also bumps the mids, and i usually cut the lower mids on my bass sounds. Maybe that's why i don't really like it for bass. I guess i see compressors as some sort of vibe/mild eq machine. I guess it also depends with what bass sound your starting with. If i had a vintage Precision bass with some dead flat-wounds, maybe i'd reach for the Purple MC77. Next ones i want to try are the DBX 160 VU and the LA-2A.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Addict

Hi, have the Kit version Purple Mc77 (yes it was a available as a kit originally) paired with a Neve 1272 pre and Bo Hansen DI for killer huge Bass :-)))

The Purple sounds way better than the UA re-issues.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The Fatso (not sure why it has to be the UBK in particular though, the original regular version is also excellent and just as versatile and it will save you money) will do slower but doesn't have the ability to be variable in the way an 1176 does. If you want a more colored, mid rich version of an 1176 (like splitting the difference between a Purple and a Fatso) look at a modern UA or vintage model, these are complementary to a Purple and it just depends on what the production needs.
With lots of respect, I respectfully disagree heh
I have owned both fatsos, and the glue setting on the UBK fatso is a revelation on bass- I didn't find any other setting on the original fatso that could come close to it for that purpose. The sat and trans on both fatsos are really helpful in continuing to dial in the sound, for sure.
I prefer the MC77 to just about anything on bass, and other 1176 types I've tried haven't done it as well. There are plenty of models I haven't tried, for sure! Perhaps the vintage rev D I used was so good on voc that I never gave it a fair shake on anything else!
I think genre is important here- the aggressiveness of the 77 is what makes it so good for rock bass. Again, if your working with less rocking material, it might be too much.
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Nut

What I do is in the ballpark of rock music. Some Motown, Floyd-ish at times, and then sometimes it's more straight forward rock.
Old 11th August 2014
The MC77 kills on bass !
I'm using it followed by a Neve 1064 as my bass mix chain, it always works great
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search