The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's missing?
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

What's missing?

I'll be renting a bunch of pieces in Montreal, (Janurary 1st-31st 2015) to do some testing and I'll be doing some free tracking for the Alt/Rock band "The Dead Projectionists" while I'm there. Of course, I'm leaving most of my gear at home for on-going current projects and I'll be picking up most(if not all) of what I'll be using from Economik out of Montreal.

Here's what I've got as my list so far :

Microphones :
(3) Neumann U-87 Ai
(3) Josephson E22S
(3) Shure SM57
(2) Telefunken ELA M251
(2) Schoeps CMC6+MK4
(2) Sennheiser MD421
(2) Coles 4038
(1) Wunder Audio CM7 FET
(1) Electrovoice RE-20
(1) Royer R-121

Pre-Amps :
(8) Neve 1073 Pre-Amp/EQ
(2) API 3124+
(1) A Designs Pacifica
(1) D.W. Fearn VT-2

Dynamics/EQ :
(2) Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor
(2) Universal Audio 1176LN
(2) Universal Audio LA-2A
(2) DBX 160X
(1) Tube-Tech CL-1B
(1) Manley Variable Mu
(1) Smart Research C2
(1) API 2500

EQ :
(2) Pultec EQP-1A3
(1) GML 8200 EQ
(1) API 5500 EQ

Other Outboard :
(5) Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner
(2) Lynx Aurora 16
(1) TC Electronics G-Major II
(1) TC Electronics D-Two
(1) Eventide H3000SE
(1) Bricasti Design M7
(1) Presonus HP-60
(1) Lexicon PCM60
(1) Yamaha Rev 5

Console/Monitoring :
(1) Toft ATB32 (32-Channel Console in Argosy Desk)
(6) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) Headphones
(2) Yamaha NS-10M
(2) Neumann KH 310A
(1) Art SLA-II Power Amp

Guitars/Amp's :
(1) 71' Fender Stratocaster
(1) 82' Gibson Les Paul
(1) 77' Fender Precision Bass
(1) 66' Gibson J-45
(1) 62' Gibson LG1 Small Body
(1) 10' Mapex Saturn Drum Kit (with Zildjian Cymbals)
(1) 65' Vox AC30
(1) 71' Marshall Super Lead Head
(1) 87' Marshall JCM800 2204-50 Watt
(2) 70' Marshall 4x12 Cabinet
(1) 66' Fender Deluxe Reverb
(1) 97' Ampeg SVT Classic with 8x10

Now, I'm in talks with Economik about getting a API 1608 with an expander (32-channels). If this pans out, I'll not be carrying the Toft ATB32 along for the trip. If I don't get the APi 1608, I'll be trying to get a Neve 5088 with an expander.

Anyways, to my actual question, I feel I have all my bases pretty covered. But, I feel I'm missing something. I've got all cables covered (100+ Mogami Gold's) K&M stands, Stedman pop-filters and proper acoustic treatment. But, I still feel I'm missing something?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryk1989 View Post
But, I still feel I'm missing something?
Restraint?

Jesus, rent all of that for a month? To do pro-bono tracking?
wth?!? I shudder at the rental cost...seems like enough of a budget to buy enough equipment outright for the recording session...
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Restraint?

Jesus, rent all of that for a month? To do pro-bono tracking?
wth?!? I shudder at the rental cost...seems like enough of a budget to buy enough equipment outright for the recording session...
The rental is only 20,132.80$. It's much less then what you'd pay buying each individual piece. Important information, we're paying a full-deposit on everything we're testing as well (listed below). So, pieces we(myself an a associate) end up liking we're taking home.

The Jospehson E-22S, Telefunken ELA M251, Wunder Audio CM7 FET and D.W. Fearn VT-2 are the pieces we're going to be mostly testing. Also, a 17 song LP (by my own group) will be tracked during this time, and we'll be doing some sessions with "The Dead Projectionists" in our down time.

So, it's sort of a work experience/vacation rolled in one. We've rented a gorgeous 7-bedroom water-front mansion in Montreal to do all of our tracking in. That's another 24,000$ by the way. Maybe I need to just stay home, haha?

Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ah...so more info is divulged...without your further elucidation, on the the surface your initial post seemed rather extravagant...still does to a certain extent...
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Ah...so more info is divulged...without your further elucidation, on the the surface your initial post seemed rather extravagant...still does to a certain extent...
In a way, yes. I really hate to rent the LA-2A's, 1176's, 1073's, Smart C2, Variable Mu, the U87's, the Coles, the CL-1B, the 2500 and the Pultecs because we have them at home. The problem is, I'm not completely (nor anyone else) ok with hauling them 1000 miles.

I'd much rather pay a little under 21,000$ to rent everything we'd need then take the chance of having 70,000$ worth of gear get tore up on the road. Call me crazy, but Economik provides insurance for any mishaps with there stuff. Besides, leaving everything at home allows others to continue to work while we're up in Montreal!

Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

there's no recorder on the list.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Or ocarina, for that matter.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy View Post
I set 'em up, he knocks 'em down.
Old 7th August 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkboy View Post
Oh wow, my son plays the ocarina every day and it's such a beautiful instrument...but you never see it mentioned anywhere!!!

War
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
there's no recorder on the list.
Obviously I'll be using Pro Tools 11. And, who needs an Ocarina? Last thing I need is to be playing and suddenly teleport to some Volcano/Forest (Zelda reference).
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Every studio needs an ocarina!

It's a Helmholtz resonator (in the sense of the principle that makes it work), it sounds lovely, it's great decor pottery, it's fun for relaxing tense moments.
Plus, it was good enough for the solo in one of the most rocking & legendary songs U've ever heard:

Enuff said.

Regarding your list, don't worry, nothing missing - in fact, if something is worrying, it's the way-too-much-of-everything/infinite-choices-and-doubt factor that that gear list inspires.
More than more than enough to make a record.
Just add mic stands & cables.
Ah, and DI boxes.

A
F
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

according to the internet, you need an sm7
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
according to the internet, you need an sm7
SM7's are good for rock/loud edgy vocals, occasional amp, horn or two and Micheal Jackson.

I will not be tracking any of the said items other then the amps. For that, the 121, 57 and 421 adequately accomplishes . Also, anything the SM7 would be good for the RE-20 is as well.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
SM7's are good for rock/loud edgy vocals, occasional amp, horn or two and Micheal Jackson.

I will not be tracking any of the said items other then the amps. For that, the 121, 57 and 421 adequately accomplishes . Also, anything the SM7 would be good for the RE-20 is as well.
I was 1/2 kidding, looks like you have all the bases cover to make a great album

good luck
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

i see headphones but no headphone amplifier .. some beefier microphone stands for those Coles 4038's and the large diaphragm mice - 87's, Tele, etc .. and since you have the smart C2 it sounds like you might be mixing as well .. what about a Tascam DA3000 for DSD 2 track masters ??

.. and a NutraBullet to make some High End Smoothies or wait it is Montreal so an Expresso machine and a Wine Refrigerator …

also: a Gun or Security guard or maybe just a Dog to help keep an eye on everything or at least a set of ears that can hear above 20k .. "if the Dog is happy so will the people be happy" …

sounds like a fun trip … enjoy it … you seem to be able to afford it ..

and please Post up some pics of your setup in the house once you get there .. we would love to follow along ..

cheers john
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ocarina?

brilliant...if Zamfir could master it, it'll be a staple,

and what other instrument could you make into a Chia pet?
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm in NYC now, wish I could get up to Montreal. You pretty much have everything you need to do pretty much anything you want as far as recording is concerned. Now you just have to fly in the Stones circa 1968.

I will tell you, I have the Tele 251 and my only only regret with regard to that mic is not getting the stereo pair when I had the chance. The one I have has to be one of the most incredible mics I've had the pleasure of using. I hope you enjoy it as well.

I don't know what the ultimate objective of this wonderful venture you've undertaken but I also love the flea M49 and with all this amazing equipment you might want to throw up a 49 style as well as a 67 and maybe a C12 just to check em out.

I hope you can post some clips of these sessions. Should sound remarkable.

Guitar wise I'd probably go with a custom shop historic Les Paul and Strat over the 71 and 82. The custom shop historics hang right there with many of the golden era vintage guitars Ive had the pleasure of using.

And a martin custom shop d28 hd28v or Om28v never hurts.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Since this looks like such a 'deluxe, no expense spared' list, I'd look for more (or better) drums than the Mapex Saturn. I'm sure they're fine, but I'd usually look to Ayotte, DW, yamaha, Gretsch or Ludwigs… At the very least, a selection of snares would come in handy. Gotta have a Black Beauty, some 6 1/2" options, or a copper or bell-brass snare for 'colour'. And a U67 or 47 (style) mic for vocals or overheads wouldn't hurt…

Go for it!
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Jesus, for $45k between the house and gear rental, you could just book out a month at an amazing studio! Would save you all of the days of setup time!
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
Jesus, for $45k between the house and gear rental, you could just book out a month at an amazing studio! Would save you all of the days of setup time!
But then I wouldn't be in Montreal would I? I could always use my own facility or go to BlackBird. I'll be in Montreal rather I'm doing the sessions or not. I do believe I will however be bringing my own gear from home now. Which basically, is the same list. I'm attempting to get booking freed up so gear would be available for transport.

As for the guitars and drum kit, I'd much prefer a 59' LP over a few pieces. The Strats are my own and sound amazing. I actually prefer them to a bunch of things (because they're mine, haha). The Mapex Saturn for sure could be upgraded.

I have a Tama SilverStar series set in storage that we're not using. So, that's always an option as well. I'm also in talks about acquiring a Yamaha set as well for the month.

I'll get pictures took and everything uploaded once we arrive. Of course, this'll January 1st. So, we have some time til we depart :(
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear
You need a recorder (24 track 2inch tape recorder, RADAR or a DAW with good converters) to capture the material or otherwise you will just be mixing them live with expensive rental gear. You also need a headphone preamp for the 6 headphones.

Do you have a great room to record them in?

Have you got your bases covered if the band cancel or postpone at the last minute after you have rented the gear?
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
But then I wouldn't be in Montreal would I?
Studio 270 / equipment

Would get you pretty close.

Still, very cool initiative!

The only thing you've left out can't be rented, and shouldn't be transported across the border... But all that crazy gear will probably do the trick anyway.

Can't wait to hear rough mixes & see photos -- including the road trip!
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtienhaara View Post
Studio 270 / equipment

Would get you pretty close.
Wow, Studio 270 looks really great! API desk and a great mic selection. You probably would save money and definitely set up time. I've done plenty of recording in houses, old gas stations, warehouses, barns, etc. It can be a blast, but the set up and tracking down faults can take the wind out of your sails too. Allow a few days for that. Maybe Studio Economik can supply/recommend a tech? What about interface? Patch bays and such? May sure there are "mults" and polarity/phase patches on the bays. I suggest getting a robust headphone system: Aviom, Private Cue, Nemesis, the deluxe Furman. Avoid Hearback, Behringer, the basic Furman (6-knob, Cat-5 version). How about half a dozen SM58's for talkbacks? Maybe get some kind of budget closed-circuit video rig, so you have visual between the walls and into that "cool, isolated recording spot." Sounds cool though. Good luck and godspeed!
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

Yea, if you can't make a record at Studio 270, you can't make a record!
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

i'll chime in and say it is not a brilliant idea to do much 'testing' in a place you don't know.

but creating a creative atmosphere to record a band in is, so sounds like a good idea to me . i wish you luck, sht you can make a double album in that time.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'll be renting a bunch of pieces in Montreal, (Janurary 1st-31st 2015) to do some testing and I'll be doing some free tracking for the Alt/Rock band "The Dead Projectionists" while I'm there. Of course, I'm leaving most of my gear at home for on-going current projects and I'll be picking up most(if not all) of what I'll be using from Economik out of Montreal.

Here's what I've got as my list so far :

Microphones :
(3) Neumann U-87 Ai
(3) Josephson E22S
(3) Shure SM57
(2) Telefunken ELA M251
(2) Schoeps CMC6+MK4
(2) Sennheiser MD421
(2) Coles 4038
(1) Wunder Audio CM7 FET
(1) Electrovoice RE-20
(1) Royer R-121

Pre-Amps :
(8) Neve 1073 Pre-Amp/EQ
(2) API 3124+
(1) A Designs Pacifica
(1) D.W. Fearn VT-2

Dynamics/EQ :
(2) Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor
(2) Universal Audio 1176LN
(2) Universal Audio LA-2A
(2) DBX 160X
(1) Tube-Tech CL-1B
(1) Manley Variable Mu
(1) Smart Research C2
(1) API 2500

EQ :
(2) Pultec EQP-1A3
(1) GML 8200 EQ
(1) API 5500 EQ

Other Outboard :
(5) Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner
(2) Lynx Aurora 16
(1) TC Electronics G-Major II
(1) TC Electronics D-Two
(1) Eventide H3000SE
(1) Bricasti Design M7
(1) Presonus HP-60
(1) Lexicon PCM60
(1) Yamaha Rev 5

Console/Monitoring :
(1) Toft ATB32 (32-Channel Console in Argosy Desk)
(6) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) Headphones
(2) Yamaha NS-10M
(2) Neumann KH 310A
(1) Art SLA-II Power Amp

Guitars/Amp's :
(1) 71' Fender Stratocaster
(1) 82' Gibson Les Paul
(1) 77' Fender Precision Bass
(1) 66' Gibson J-45
(1) 62' Gibson LG1 Small Body
(1) 10' Mapex Saturn Drum Kit (with Zildjian Cymbals)
(1) 65' Vox AC30
(1) 71' Marshall Super Lead Head
(1) 87' Marshall JCM800 2204-50 Watt
(2) 70' Marshall 4x12 Cabinet
(1) 66' Fender Deluxe Reverb
(1) 97' Ampeg SVT Classic with 8x10

Now, I'm in talks with Economik about getting a API 1608 with an expander (32-channels). If this pans out, I'll not be carrying the Toft ATB32 along for the trip. If I don't get the APi 1608, I'll be trying to get a Neve 5088 with an expander.

Anyways, to my actual question, I feel I have all my bases pretty covered. But, I feel I'm missing something. I've got all cables covered (100+ Mogami Gold's) K&M stands, Stedman pop-filters and proper acoustic treatment. But, I still feel I'm missing something?

Comfortable shoes?
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
OK, so, you're missing Michael Jackson. At least, he's not on the list. I'm pretty sure his dad will rent him out if the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixkitchen View Post
Comfortable shoes?
And a warm place to take a s**t.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
OK, so, you're missing Michael Jackson. At least, he's not on the list. I'm pretty sure his dad will rent him out if the price is right.

And a warm place to take a s**t.
I heard his going price was pretty fair as well. Only costs your first born son. Of course you get him back, but he's never quite the same afterward. (We have some sick humor, haha)

I have the warm place to take a s**t covered as there's 7 bathrooms. That's like a different place for each day of the week, haha.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Guru

What was the question again?
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
What was the question again?
Which came first, the chick or the egg?

Jokes aside, what's missing? ::
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search