The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage api 2488 for sale 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Vintage api 2488 for sale

Here is a Vintage api 2488 if any of you High end guys are interested, I know I am.

Public Surplus: Auction #1182489
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Bidding is at $25K at the moment for those that are interested.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelindsay View Post
Bidding is at $25K at the moment for those that are interested.
I think that is about less than half of what it is worth,
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
Doesn't seem like a public surplus price? And a reserve? Careful guys all that glitters may not be gold...
I know this is legit, they have already sold 3 vintage api 1604 consoles and one other 2488.

One of their fully loaded api 1604 consoles in working condition ended for just about $18,000

A short loaded 1604 with the master section and 4 channel strips/EQ's ended at around $6,000

This is a legit auction, I talked to Peter the guy that runs the music department at the college. Super nice guy.

Peter 360/867-6279
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

6% Buyer's Premium will be charged to the Winning Bidder.

Yikes! That's another 3k if the console winds up @ 50k.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
6% Buyer's Premium will be charged to the Winning Bidder.

Yikes! That's another 3k if the console winds up @ 50k.
Most people dropping that kind of money on a sought after hard to find console are willing to pay the premiums, that is probably how the auction site gets their cut, no one does anything for free.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Most people dropping that kind of money on a sought after hard to find console are willing to pay the premiums, that is probably how the auction site gets their cut, no one does anything for free.
I understand. I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything for free; doesn't the seller pay a percentage too?
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

I see Dan Alexander is first bid.
wouldn't be surprised if he likely refurbs it and resells for a fortune.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I see Dan Alexander is first bid.
wouldn't be surprised if he likely refurbs it and resells for a fortune.
That's what Dan does, he certainly won't keep it.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Estimated cost of this board Refurbished 100% working with no issues with the EQ's that are in it, $75,000

This is me guessing I'm just a kid that wants it.

I guesstmated this price assuming the EQ's are vintage API 550a not 550a-1.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Says who? It's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it as far as I'm concerned. Don'(t forget that the console is almost 40yo with very little info or details about it and the buyer won't be able to inspect before he buys…or maybe you think the API name alone is worth upwards of $50,000.
Old 10th August 2014
Why would anyone spend that kind of money on something they couldn't inspect?
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Dan is well versed in all things studio, I am sure he is not doing anything blindly. That dude is awesome, much respect for him on my end. You need some gear, he is a great source.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Says who? It's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it as far as I'm concerned. Don'(t forget that the console is almost 40yo with very little info or details about it and the buyer won't be able to inspect before he buys…or maybe you think the API name alone is worth upwards of $50,000.
Hahahaha, why don't you read what I wrote 5 more times then maybe you will understand what I wrote.

I said it's my guess that's it's worth $75,k Refurbished fully working with no issues loaded with 550a EQ's

I know of only one other vintage API 2488 for sale that does need work for sure and the vendor is asking $65,K

To answer your question
Says me.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

You also said this when you read that someone offered $25k for it:
Quote:
It's this (other) bit of speculation that I was responding to. I even quoted it...you didn't see that.

Let's see if someone will come up with the (more than) other half of what it's worth.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Sam

Quote:
You also said this when you read that someone offered $25k for it:
It's this (other) bit of speculation that I was responding to. I even quoted it...you didn't see that.

Let's see if someone will come up with the (more than) other half of what it's worth.
Yes I did say that and I stand by what I said, I based this off my experience and other consoles that are for sale and their condition, does that mean someone is going to bid it up to $50k I don't know. I said that's what it's worth do the math,

20-vintage API 550a EQ's @ $1000 ea = $20,k

8- vintage API 560 EQ's @ $700 ea = $5600

24 - 548 channel strips @ $850 ea = $ 20,400

This alone totals over $45,000

This does not include any of the master section, echo returns, meters, faders, patchbay, power supply, etc... and the blossoming goodnes that spews out of the speakers when mixing on one.

I can go on and on, but I'm not going to waste my time because if you don't get it by now, you just don't want to.

Sam what would you sell it for?

What's it worth to you?

I'm just trying to spread the gear word to other slutz that may have missed this opportunity otherwise.

No I don't think it's worth $50k because of the api name, I know it's worth $50k because of the Vintage api pedigree.

Here is a link to another API 2488 for sale it needs approx,$10k of work.
Asking price $65k

Vintage API 2488 24x8x16 "Melville" console

Sam just because it's a lot of money to you "and me" it's really not that much when you think about the rarity,the built quality, the American standard, the sound everyone wants, but their summing boxes just don't quite cut it. "I sum API DSM" it's good, but it's not the same. It's not as good.

I don't think any of the new consoles on the market at the $50k range can come close to the butter that a vintage api achieves. Old iron sounds better, it's not recycled fake, it's dense, it's thick, and you can hear it. I have done multiple very close scientific tests and shoot outs with vintage gear and boutique clones that claim that everything is the same down to the wire flown in from the factory they use to make it in, famous people swearing that it sounds the same "sometimes better" as they collect their new free piece for the plug, but most likly wouldn't purchase it if they had an opportunity for a vintage one. Marketing is a strategy, an angle, a way to produce sales.

I own some of these boutique pieces because they do sound great, they do come close, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I have heard a clone next to the real thing the real piece of gear had a little more, if not a lot more magic, mojo, that thing etc...

Again I believe that that vintage api 2488 console is worth $50k.

Who knows what it will end for, but if it ends where it is at, with a little time and effort, someone is going to double their money. And god bless them!
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Dans been doing this for so long, heck Dan was buying and selling APIs before some of the posters on this board were born.
These Days somebody might out bid him, But Dan knows how high he can bid on this and still make money, as much as he loves these old API, Dan has seen this rodeo many times. He might even know more than anybody about this board because they probably bought it from Dan.
His advantage is he not only knows what to bid, but what it will cost to get it to him!
So if anybody is thinking of biding, if Dan pulls out and you keep bidding, I ll say your paying to much.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

I actually contacted Evergreen about 7-8 years ago asking them if they were interested in selling this very console.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
So if anybody is thinking of biding, if Dan pulls out and you keep bidding, I ll say your paying to much.
My thoughts exactly, like you I'm guessing he knows exactly what's wrong with it and what it will take/cost to make it right.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sam what would you sell it for?
I'd sell it for the highest price I could get for it.

Quote:
What's it worth to you?
Right now…nothing, I'm not bidding I already have a console.

Quote:
No I don't think it's worth $50k because of the api name, I know it's worth $50k because of the Vintage api pedigree.
And yet the only bid so far is $25k…

Quote:
Here is a link to another API 2488 for sale it needs approx,$10k of work.
Asking price $65k
Don't care what they're asking, it's what someone is willing to pay for it that counts.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Dans been doing this for so long, heck Dan was buying and selling APIs before some of the posters on this board were born.
These Days somebody might out bid him, But Dan knows how high he can bid on this and still make money, as much as he loves these old API, Dan has seen this rodeo many times. He might even know more than anybody about this board because they probably bought it from Dan.
His advantage is he not only knows what to bid, but what it will cost to get it to him!
Nonsense IMNSHO. Dan has indeed bought/sold literally TONS of equipment. He IS a broker/reseller. One of the audio 'original'. He is not known for paying anywhere close to market price as he understands risk/reward. Unless of course he already has a buyer lined up before he acquires it. And that price might be less than 'market' if he can flip immediately.

The point he stops bidding is only relative to him not making (enough) money. This is not the same thing as his judgement of what it is worth to a buyer who is going to keep it.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd sell it for the highest price I could get for it.

Right now…nothing, I'm not bidding I already have a console.

And yet the only bid so far is $25k…

Don't care what they're asking, it's what someone is willing to pay for it that counts.

That's the reply I was expecting, do you mind sharing what console your using?
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

I lived in the bay area when Dan started up... let's just say he has turned things around since his early days of brokering and reselling gear. Unfortunately he had gotten a bad reputation for a little while over some vintage equipment that he got over in Europe and resold here in the states. I have a few friends who will never do business with him ever again. I'm sure he is fine to do business with now as you don't last long in this business unless you are on the up and up.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
I lived in the bay area when Dan started up... let's just say he has turned things around since his early days of brokering and reselling gear. Unfortunately he had gotten a bad reputation for a little while over some vintage equipment that he got over in Europe and resold here in the states. I have a few friends who will never do business with him ever again. I'm sure he is fine to do business with now as you don't last long in this business unless you are on the up and up.
Hi Larry,

I've only had one transaction w/Dan and never met him. Four or five years ago I was trying to buy a Brauner KHE from a wacko in the bay area who would ONLY accept cash person to person. I found Dan by looking for EMT140 shipping info. His site listed his physical address in the bay area so I rang him up.

I described the deal/problem and got just got the right 'vibe'. I sent him the $ and he drove an hour, met with the wacko, made the deal and sent along the mic pronto (half way across the country) by FEDEX. He handled the 'brokerage' for next to nothing for the pain in the ass it surely was. He did comment that he thought I was CRAZY to pay what I paid for the mic.

Never had the occasion to do business or talk with him since and still haven't met him.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Hi Larry,

I've only had one transaction w/Dan and never met him. Four or five years ago I was trying to buy a Brauner KHE from a wacko in the bay area who would ONLY accept cash person to person. I found Dan by looking for EMT140 shipping info. His site listed his physical address in the bay area so I rang him up.

I described the deal/problem and got just got the right 'vibe'. I sent him the $ and he drove an hour, met with the wacko, made the deal and sent along the mic pronto (half way across the country) by FEDEX. He handled the 'brokerage' for next to nothing for the pain in the ass it surely was. He did comment that he thought I was CRAZY to pay what I paid for the mic.

Never had the occasion to do business or talk with him since and still haven't met him.
Good deal. Good to hear.
Old 19th August 2014
Here for the gear

I have been taking care of this board for 30 years...It is in great shape for an old console, all the components aside from the faders work fine, and obviously anyone who invests in it would need new faders, and to go thru all the switches/controls/etc to replace clicky things. The pan pots also need replacing as we did it with Allen Bradley parts 10 years ago..

But it has been in constant use until July 1, and I started packing it as I am being kicked out of the space...

All the recordings at
Evergreen Student Media Project

were made on it....and while they are student projects they have the sound of the 2488... The only reason we are selling it is that our maintenance staff has been cut, and I had the opportunity to get a new board (neve 5088) that hopefully will have fewer ongoing support needs...
I love the console, and it is really an amazing sounding unit....

Call if you need info 360 584 2747

Last edited by squank; 19th August 2014 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: add number
Old 20th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squank View Post
I have been taking care of this board for 30 years...It is in great shape for an old console, all the components aside from the faders work fine, and obviously anyone who invests in it would need new faders, and to go thru all the switches/controls/etc to replace clicky things. The pan pots also need replacing as we did it with Allen Bradley parts 10 years ago..

But it has been in constant use until July 1, and I started packing it as I am being kicked out of the space...

All the recordings at
Evergreen Student Media Project

were made on it....and while they are student projects they have the sound of the 2488... The only reason we are selling it is that our maintenance staff has been cut, and I had the opportunity to get a new board (neve 5088) that hopefully will have fewer ongoing support needs...
I love the console, and it is really an amazing sounding unit....

Call if you need info 360 584 2747

Thanks for the info!!

2 hour till end of auction!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search