The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best AD/DA converters Digital Converters
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

Best AD/DA converters

Hello,
I am looking to buy the most transparent AD/DA converters money can buy. Money is not a concern I just want pristine quality conversion. Which is better between Prism and Lavry? Also are there any others converters better than these. All comments will be appreciated but I'm looking for the ones from industry professionals who have used the gear they will comment about. Please ask if you want to know anything more from me.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Why don't you buy as many expensive ones as you can find and try them out? Then come back and give us a report on your respected profesisonal opinion?

Or, do a few minutes research on the internet and see what others think. Then buy the expensive one.

Oh, yes questions... are you an industry professional? Why not use your name; are you so famous you need to hide?

:-)

Lou
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

I work for industry veterans in my country Daman Sood, Mujeeb Dadakkar and Vijay Benegal. I am going to set up a studio with their help. I've assisted mixes for artists like Pete Lockett, Fazal Qureshi, Zakhir Hussain, Indicus, Etc. which air on TV here (dont know about the states). Not done much though. Still allot to see, allot to learn. I want the best and most neutral quality AD/DA converters in my studio. Any real help will be appreciated.
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

and yes, my full name is Clyde Yung D'souza
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

My budget for the converters would be around $6-7k.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Give Prism a ring. They've been quite upfront about making some very generous discounts if you have the money to buy. I own an Orpheus and the conversion is up there with the best.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Cool! My challenges were not intended with malice. What is "my country?" I am USA like Zakhir.

I cannot afford the best price-no-object convertors, so keep researching and you will find what you want! But it has been dicussed ad infinitum here and elsewhere so keep looking! Check out things such as this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/forums/sh...lden-ears-only
I have made very good sounding records with $500 Presnous and M-audio convertors, but if the clients wanted better - and wanted to pay for it - I would get them. MY clients just find what I do with humble gear is just fine. But then, we don't have any hit records or big budgets. Or $6k guitars, even.
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

Thats really good news for me Since Daman Sood is one of the official Prism distributers in India. I'll have a word with him. I'll also try to listen to it at Sahara studios if I get the chance. Those guys have put in more than a 100 crores into their studio project and I got to know recently they have the Prism Orpheus and the Dream 8 if I'm not wrong. Thanks allot FireMoon. In the meantime I'm awaiting comments from the rest of ya'll.
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hello loujudson,
I dont mind working on medium quality gear at all. Infact I have a pair of HS80's at my place right now which are lying untouched with nothing but dust on them. I dont mind checking my mixes on them sometimes just to check if they sound good. But when it comes to big budget clients, they want quality and thats what I'll give them if they are ready to pay for it. Unfortunately for that, I'll have to empty my pockets. I dont mind paying the price if I'm getting the quality.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

If money is no concern go for the $12,000 Prisms!

I'll bow out having had my little say. But FYI, here in America we say "Y'all" not "Ya'll" which has a slightly different meaning...

Lou
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ya'll -> Podunk 'you will'...

In any hoot...if budget is no concern, why not get a couple of different flavors, like some Burl B2 ADC/DAC and a Hilo?
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

6-7k won't be enough to get you the likes of Lavry or Prism; at least not both the AD/DA respectively. Luckily you still have many options that are just as good. One option would be to get an Antelope Eclipse 384. Two seperate loop-back test had been done already on this unit, one my NMS and one by a2dpapi, both times it showed flawless and transparent conversions. This unit would give you both AD/DA in one package and the ability to record in 384khz. There are many benefits to 384khz you can read up more on this by checking up on the creator of DAD AX24/Merging sphynx's post.

Another route to go is to get Forssell's unit not the mada-2 but the MADC-2 and the MDAC-2. Matthew Gray had the Forssell (only the mada-2 though), Lavry gold, Pacific Microsonics HDCD Model 2, and the Prism ADA8-XR in his studio. After audition all of them he chose the Forssell to be the best among them; you can read more about it here.

If you are looking to be able to do DSD for future proofing I believe Misjah of 24-Mastering is seeling is DCS 904 on ebay for about 2.6k.

One last option that I know of is to get the AD/DA converter from Black Lion Audio I hear lots of good things about them. If you go this route get the ADC upgrade to the XB model for better clocking and slave your DAC to it.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Ya'll -> Podunk 'you will'...
Yeah, but he meant You All not you will.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Gotcha Lou,
was just expanding on what you initially pointed out...
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

:-) My mama was from Mississippi so I knew from way back... Jes hep'n out the furriners!
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

question:
how do you spell Mississippi?

answer:
which one, the river or the state?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

camelback-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback humpback-I according to my cousins...
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Addict

check out this new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=9Rcin2alxzQ

JCF AUDIO is another one to check.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungclyde View Post
Hello,
I am looking to buy the most transparent AD/DA converters money can buy. Money is not a concern I just want pristine quality conversion. Which is better between Prism and Lavry? Also are there any others converters better than these. All comments will be appreciated but I'm looking for the ones from industry professionals who have used the gear they will comment about. Please ask if you want to know anything more from me. I'm considering Prism but I'm doubtful about Lavry in comparison with it. Also what are your comments about Antelope audio and Forsell?
Weiss ADC2
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firubbi View Post

JCF AUDIO is another one to check.
those are loaded with transformers
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Nut

There´s no exact answer. They all have a bit of a sound due their different designs and implementation, so it does come to taste in the end. The ones to try are the top offerings from lavry, prism, forsell, antelope. There´s also pacific microsonics, dcs, weiss, crane song, meitner and maybe some marketed towards audiophiles like msb diamond etc. If you read enough in this or other forums you´ll find that someone will prefer any of these over any of the other
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

This was my reply to your other thread:

6-7k won't be enough to get you the likes of Lavry or Prism; at least not both the AD/DA respectively. Luckily you still have many options that are just as good. One option would be to get an Antelope Eclipse 384. Two seperate loop-back test had been done already on this unit, one my NMS and one by a2dpapi, both times it showed flawless and transparent conversions. This unit would give you both AD/DA in one package and the ability to record in 384khz. There are many benefits to 384khz you can read up more on this by checking up on the creator of DAD AX24/Merging sphynx's post.

Another route to go is to get Forssell's unit not the mada-2 but the MADC-2 and the MDAC-2. Matthew Gray had the Forssell (only the mada-2 though), Lavry gold, Pacific Microsonics HDCD Model 2, and the Prism ADA8-XR in his studio. After audition all of them he chose the Forssell to be the best among them; you can read more about it here.

If you are looking to be able to do DSD for future proofing I believe Misjah of 24-Mastering is seeling is DCS 904 on ebay for about 2.6k.

One last option that I know of is to get the AD/DA converter from Black Lion Audio I hear lots of good things about them. If you go this route get the ADC upgrade to the XB model for better clocking and slave your DAC to it.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Call me naïve but I like the 192s in that video better. The Prisms were more open but the 192 sounded more finished. Just saying.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Call me naïve but I like the 192s in that video better. The Prisms were more open but the 192 sounded more finished. Just saying.
good news, 192s are a couple hundred dollars
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm thinking that might be the way to go with PT11 because I need new convertors and don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I know they are not supported but they do work from what I am hearing.
Old 6th August 2014
Well for Mastering/Hifi Audio. The top of the top of the top as far as converters go are the Pacific Microsonics Model 2's. It will cost you an arm and a leg. Michael Romanowski Mastering in SF has acouple of those units and is running them into Focal Grand Utopia's. Probably the most ridiculous setup i've listened off of.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking that might be the way to go with PT11 because I need new convertors and don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I know they are not supported but they do work from what I am hearing.
I am curious, did you download the high-res samples from that video and listen with at least a good set of cans?

Also, keep in mind that the OP had stipulated that money was of no concern in making his decision. (Lucky!)
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW View Post
I am curious, did you download the high-res samples from that video and listen with at least a good set of cans?

Also, keep in mind that the OP had stipulated that money was of no concern in making his decision. (Lucky!)
Not the hi res and NS10s.
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

I was wondering if any of you has ever tried doing a showdown between the converters like prism, lavry, antelope, forsell, pacific microsonics, burl audio or even any others. Its unfortunate that in a country like India I cannot get all theses top products in 1 place at 1 time to compare. If anyone has done such a thing then please share your conclusions. And yes as I said before the price of the product doesn't matter. I'm not one of those guys who will compromise on quality because of the price. I'm also not one of those who thinks that the higest quality converters (most transparent) ones will be the most expensive ones and vice versa. I just believe quality takes hard work and hard work costs money. If the quality of the product justifies its price I will pay for it.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
those are loaded with transformers
Yes most of them are, but not all...The Latte's ADC uses a transformer-less amplifier stage, as it was purpose built for mastering applications and sounds identical to the analog input. You can even bypass the internal buffer circuit if you want cleaner.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search