The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best AD/DA converters Digital Converters
Old 29th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
No, nothing like Muhammad Ali.

Although it IS colored.
Did you really just say that?
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Did you really just say that?
Ali Bomaye!

Ali Bomaye!

Ali Bomaye!

...though I give Plush the benefit of doubt, given he has the John Carlos and Tommie Smith 1968 Mexico City Black Power salute in his avatar.

As well, Ali was not known as a puncher, just the greatest of all time along with Sugar Ray Robinson.

The most devastating punchers I've seen in my lifetime were: Earnie Shavers, George Foreman and Mike Tyson, in that order.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
I call younger guys with fresh ears from time to time to listen new converters in various scenarios.
Often, 'lesser' converters grab their attention 'for better' some artifacts do the good.
This is a good point and my experience either.

I think it comes from a kind of listening habits when they are used to hear sounds coming from sound libraries with artifacts of 16/44 files and their pseudo presence pretending resolution.
Old 29th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Ali Bomaye!

Ali Bomaye!

Ali Bomaye!

...though I give Plush the benefit of doubt, given he has the John Carlos and Tommie Smith 1968 Mexico City Black Power salute in his avatar.

As well, Ali was not known as a puncher, just the greatest of all time along with Sugar Ray Robinson.

The most devastating punchers I've seen in my lifetime were: Earnie Shavers, George Foreman and Mike Tyson, in that order.
Yes I wasn't referencing the power of the punch so much as the speed on it's feet for something harnessing such power. That surprised me, I thought it would be more sluggish like a vintage Neve.

As to the other thing, well, I guess the crazy, old, Anglo/Europhile goat can be cut some slack due to the aforementioned image.
Old 30th July 2017
I think like all musical works, it's a feel thing. Technical excellence is dull for some and thrilling for others.
I sit and listen in my lovely room, on great speakers and even if I hear just the tiniest fraction of a difference between converters or clocks, one will feel better and that will move me more.
I don't need to analyse waves and look at charts, I just listen and see how I feel. It's not price, it's intuition and it's personal.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I don't need to analyse waves and look at charts, I just listen and see how I feel. It's not price, it's intuition and it's personal.
It's part of the process.
Old 14th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
It's part of the process.
Touché
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Addict
Don't people here like ot build their own AD/DA convertors?
I never see multibit DACS anymore. They are amazing.
Old 28th May 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
...by now i have only 8x2192 left to reach the goal
why so many?
Old 28th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk View Post
Don't people here like ot build their own AD/DA convertors?
I never see multibit DACS anymore. They are amazing.
I have some of those here. One is a Schiit Audio Modi II using an industrial multibit Analog Devices DAC. They sell that for $249. I did replace the weak AD 8512 dual opamp with an ADA4898-2, that really helped it a lot.
Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Probably the best is the Berkeley Audio Designs Reference II at $20,000. They design and build their own DAC's and that box is top rated.

Otherwise it seems the ESS 9038 based DAC's are the clear winners. Mytek's $6000 Manhattan II is also top rated and would put a smile on everyone's face.

Both of those are a bit out of my price range so I use the Project Audio Pre Box S2 DAC that also uses a pair of ESS 9038 DAC chips. This is an excellent sounding DAC and is only $399, a real bargain. It slays my Mytek/Mark Levenson DSD1704 DAC and my PCM1792 RMA DAC as well as all the AKM, Crystal and AD DAC's I have.
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I have some of those here. One is a Schiit Audio Modi II using an industrial multibit Analog Devices DAC. They sell that for $249. I did replace the weak AD 8512 dual opamp with an ADA4898-2, that really helped it a lot.

Probably the best is the Berkeley Audio Designs Reference II at $20,000. They design and build their own DAC's and that box is top rated.

Otherwise it seems the ESS 9038 based DAC's are the clear winners. Mytek's $6000 Manhattan II is also top rated and would put a smile on everyone's face.

Both of those are a bit out of my price range so I use the Project Audio Pre Box S2 DAC that also uses a pair of ESS 9038 DAC chips. This is an excellent sounding DAC and is only $399, a real bargain. It slays my Mytek/Mark Levenson DSD1704 DAC and my PCM1792 RMA DAC as well as all the AKM, Crystal and AD DAC's I have.
Hi Jim

Just wondered if you have ever used any DAC's with the DSD 1793 chip? According to the company Ifi, they, tried and tested all the chips they could get and chose this chip for their DAC's because it was the only one they could find that handled both DSD and PCM with equal aplomb. All others favoured one or the other format.

Now, for most people DSD is not a consideration, but just wonder what your experiences are of that chip? I actually have th Ifi NanoiDSD and like it, but only have a few other DAC's to compare it to and have never really spent time doing so.

Also, what about the new Audient ID44 with Dual Converter Technology?
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear
That Project DAC looks tasty with all the filters etc. I see the 9038Q2 chip is even in the cheap Topping NX4 DSD DAC/Amp now.

Last edited by Mr Funk; 29th May 2018 at 02:36 PM..
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahappycamper View Post
why so many?
Why not? IMO these are the most analogish AD available.
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This the one, Jim?

Box Design by Pro-Ject Audio Systems

And what about ADC? I’ve got the RMA PCM4222. What slays that for the same size wallet? And thanks!
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear
I have no proof to back this up, but my perception rating for the most clear converters would be in this order:

#1 Forsell:
https://www.forsselltech.com/#!/products/9

I say this because everything forsell touched in terms of design is GOLD!

#2 Any RME w/ MADI output (Only the MADI-RME converters are there good ones)
-Where RME got the rep they have

#3 Digidesign 192 with XB Clock w/ black lion mods
Pro tools at it's best

#4 SSL Alpha link w/ black lion mods
SSL makes good stuff, however the internal clock sucks and the analog section really was helped by a black lion mod.

I bet Burl is fantastic, but it's colored like a tape machine
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I have no proof to back this up, but my perception rating for the most clear converters would be in this order:

#1 Forsell:
https://www.forsselltech.com/#!/products/9

I say this because everything forsell touched in terms of design is GOLD!

#2 Any RME w/ MADI output (Only the MADI-RME converters are there good ones)
-Where RME got the rep they have

#3 Digidesign 192 with XB Clock w/ black lion mods
Pro tools at it's best

#4 SSL Alpha link w/ black lion mods
SSL makes good stuff, however the internal clock sucks and the analog section really was helped by a black lion mod.

I bet Burl is fantastic, but it's colored like a tape machine
Curious to her about ur experience with the digi 192 xb?
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

Here is a DAC for only £75 that uses the Sabre chip. Have a look inside Jim and see what you think? NEW ES9038 ES9038Q2M DAC HIFI Decoder AUDIO IIS DSD DOP 384KHz | eBay
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Here is a DAC for only £75 that uses the Sabre chip. Have a look inside Jim and see what you think? NEW ES9038 ES9038Q2M DAC HIFI Decoder AUDIO IIS DSD DOP 384KHz | eBay

Actually, that one has no USB input, the one that does is about £100. The guy also makes one using the PRO version of the chip with better clock etc for about £250.

Last edited by Mr Funk; 31st August 2018 at 03:26 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search