The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best AD/DA converters Digital Converters
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Head

+1 for the Burl Bombers. My setup is being clocked by Burl and I have both the AD and DA. I run it completely open I won't say its clean maybe compared to some of the other converters mentioned but it sounds like music to me. I won't get into the argument about 100% clean converters but I will say I think transformers are a good thing. Overall 100% happy and have never looked back.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterr View Post
It sounds like you just enjoy softer conversion. The idea that someone couldn't "stand" the Prism Orpheus for electric guitar tracking is more a reflection of that persons taste than anything to do with the convertor. I master mixes for people who track and print mixes through the Orpheus and their tracks exhibit none of these qualities you attribute to the Orpheus. I'm not saying it's the perfect convertor (I use and prefer the Prism ADA-8XR) but in my opinion the Prism Orpheus does not sound the way you describe it.
Yes, we can call it softer or pleasent to the ear. Prism sounds more analytical than musical to me and honestly i'm not fond of albums recorded with it. Mixed & mastered is a different story...

When you come from 002R and get Orpheus it's like finally see beautiful heaven without clouds but after a while you get burned by the sun and realise you need something else...sunglasses and beer in shade of a palm?

Friend of mine has Prism ADA-8XR and files of ac gtr tracked with U47 & U67 via SS pre still had the Prism-sharp-signature.

IMO, you "have" to use tubes infront of Prism which is kind of limitation. UA2192 sounds best to me with SS pres but UA2192 doesn't bring full potential of tubes to the picture like Prism does. Go and figure
I still wanted to have the clean converter option and my curiosity put me in Forssell direction which is pleasent sounding and flexible.

I think we finally are at stage when not only match between mics and pres are important but also converters.

Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Try out the JCF Audio AD8
I whish i could but i'm in Europe...

JCF products looks promising but i guess i spend more money on socks then they do on advertisment to reach a client.

Doc, you seams to have a good relation with JCF, can you get few acoustics and "electric" samples tracked with JCF?

Do you know any albums tracked with Latte OR AD8???
Old 6th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but why does it matter which continent you reside in? To try out gear, you just purchase it, and pay for shipping it to your door. I might not be awake yet and simply not understanding what you mean.

Quote:
JCF products looks promising but i guess i spend more money on socks then they do on advertisment to reach a client.
IME, JCF Audio Converters sell themselves. There is no need to advertise a unit that sells itself. Unlike much of the "Hyped" products mentioned here at GS, all you really need to understand a JCF Audio unit is that it "Ruins Audio Less", as the company's leading tag line...I think that is all they need.

Like myself and others here, there are many enthusiastic users. I am not paid to post and not a JCF Audio Shill. I come here and discuss them because I am excited about the way it sounds. I am not sure what else there is.

Quote:
Doc, you seams to have a good relation with JCF, can you get few acoustics and "electric" samples tracked with JCF?
Yes, I am a dealer for JCF Audio. I get to use their stuff a lot, as many of my long time clients purchased units from me, and absolutely love them. I might be able to help you out with audio samples, but I am very busy working 69-70 hours a week between Audio Engineering projects, and DSPdoc Sales and Consulting and do not have the time to allocate to it.

Quote:
The most recent example was Faith No More's last album. "Sol Invictus", which I know they used both the AD8 for recording and DA8v for mixing. Also, it was mastered by Maor Applebaum, who also uses JCF Converters in his system. He has both a Latte and AD8 in his mastering rig. I don't know if he deployed it here but I thought it was worth mentioning at the very least.

Anyway, like I said back on my other post, its probably best to get a unit in house and do some recordings/mixes with it and see how it couples to the rest of your equipment. And more importantly, your sense of aesthetic. The only reason I posted here again was because I think the AD8 is very "ear pleasing".

peace
a.j.b
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Not at all trying to be facetious here but I'm surprised if anyone can pick out the tracking converter of a professional recording.

That converter would have to have such a pronounced audio signature or distortions and artifacts that these would be noticeable even after mixing and mastering.

This is the high end and often we desrcribe small differences in a way that makes these differences seem huge. However, the better converters today should never exhibit a sonic imprint that would make them recognizable. While I'm not a prism user I can say that Any of the recording I've experienced that utilized an Orpheus where extremely revealing of the source which is what any great converter should do imho.

Quote:
Yes, we can call it softer or pleasent to the ear. Prism sounds more analytical than musical to me and honestly i'm not fond of albums recorded with it. Mixed & mastered is a different story...

When you come from 002R and get Orpheus it's like finally see beautiful heaven without clouds but after a while you get burned by the sun and realise you need something else...sunglasses and beer in shade of a palm?

Friend of mine has Prism ADA-8XR and files of ac gtr tracked with U47 & U67 via SS pre still had the Prism-sharp-signature.

IMO, you "have" to use tubes infront of Prism which is kind of limitation. UA2192 sounds best to me with SS pres but UA2192 doesn't bring full potential of tubes to the picture like Prism does. Go and figure
I still wanted to have the clean converter option and my curiosity put me in Forssell direction which is pleasent sounding and flexible.

I think we finally are at stage when not only match between mics and pres are important but also converters.

Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but why does it matter which continent you reside in? To try out gear, you just purchase it, and pay for shipping it to your door. I might not be awake yet and simply not understanding what you mean.

IME, JCF Audio Converters sell themselves. There is no need to advertise a unit that sells itself. Unlike much of the "Hyped" products mentioned here at GS, all you really need to understand a JCF Audio unit is that it "Ruins Audio Less", as the company's leading tag line...I think that is all they need.

Like myself and others here, there are many enthusiastic users. I am not paid to post and not a JCF Audio Shill. I come here and discuss them because I am excited about the way it sounds. I am not sure what else there is.

Yes, I am a dealer for JCF Audio. I get to use their stuff a lot, as many of my long time clients purchased units from me, and absolutely love them. I might be able to help you out with audio samples, but I am very busy working 69-70 hours a week between Audio Engineering projects, and DSPdoc Sales and Consulting and do not have the time to allocate to it.

The most recent example was Faith No More's last album. "Sol Invictus", which I know they used both the AD8 for recording and DA8v for mixing. Also, it was mastered by Maor Applebaum, who also uses JCF Converters in his system. He has both a Latte and AD8 in his mastering rig. I don't know if he deployed it here but I thought it was worth mentioning at the very least.

Anyway, like I said back on my other post, its probably best to get a unit in house and do some recordings/mixes with it and see how it couples to the rest of your equipment. And more importantly, your sense of aesthetic. The only reason I posted here again was because I think the AD8 is very "ear pleasing".

peace
a.j.b
Hmmm, i see you don't deal much with Europe, do you?

If i order one unit from US and don't like it means that i loose 25% + other fees in import taxes...and shippings back to US which are not cheap eather.

Thanks for info about the album

Last edited by Simma Lugnt; 3rd September 2015 at 11:16 PM..
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Not at all trying to be facetious here but I'm surprised if anyone can pick out the tracking converter of a professional recording.

That converter would have to have such a pronounced audio signature or distortions and artifacts that these would be noticeable even after mixing and mastering.

This is the high end and often we desrcribe small differences in a way that makes these differences seem huge. However, the better converters today should never exhibit a sonic imprint that would make them recognizable. While I'm not a prism user I can say that Any of the recording I've experienced that utilized an Orpheus where extremely revealing of the source which is what any great converter should do imho.
You would be surprise how good people are at hearing a timber of an equipment they are familiar with.

You must missed that one... Yes Thats what i ment describing Orpheus, analytic/revealing or whatherver you want to call it. It maybe a hair too much in a Orpheus-way especially in the pushed mids and tiny lows.

Again, Orpheus is a great highend converter/interface for the money but you need to be careful what do you match it with.

If you don't own a Prism and you like extremely revealing converter then maybe you should give Orpheus a chance?
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Nut

Audition the Merging Horus and Hapi interfaces as well as the new Dangerous Convert-2 and Convert-8
Old 21st August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hy man, the JCF stuff is stunning. In terms of the Latte anything mixed by Al Schmitt since 2009 will be done through his Latte.. His assistant Steve said this on here somewhere. Now he has serious mixing skills but listening to those you may get feel for the kind of summed stereo presentation its capable of. Incredible converter, I use it unbalanced @192 and to me has the resolution and retrieval of the best master recorders (A80/C37/102 etc) without the THD and hiss.
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Sorry, I gave away my original blue Mbox... but I have someone else's in a case in storage. Didn't have the heart to tell the guy it won't work an more on modrun computerboxes...

How about an ADA8000 which can still be had new for $179...
Oh! Keep your budjet gear and let the man get his high end stuff. If you have a problem with that, go and seek help.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbo View Post
Audition the Merging Horus and Hapi interfaces as well as the new Dangerous Convert-2 and Convert-8
How did the Dangerous converters sound and perform?

Curious to know.

Cheers
Fred
Old 21st September 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy View Post

Curious to know.

Cheers
Fred
I'm very curious about the Convert too, did a thread about it but nobody replied with impressions or reviews.
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy View Post

Curious to know.

Cheers
Fred
I would like to know as well...just got their 2-Bus+ (really awesome, btw), so 8-16 channels of DA is next.

I am also very interested in the yet unreleased Ferrofish A-32 (which seems to pack incredible bang for the buck), wonder if anyone has heard them...
Old 1st February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
camelback-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-humpback humpback-I according to my cousins...
... You are a bitch! Point blank!
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
those are loaded with transformers
The AD-8 is a transformer input yes, but it's passive and has no amplifiers! I have three different AD converters in my studio right now and I am favoring the AD-8 over them all. It sounds so much closer to a final record than anything else. The JCF Latte ADC is not transformer coupled. The current crop of JCF DA converters are loaded with output transformers, yes.

BTW, For those of you who have yet to attend your high school english class this semester….The word Best is a "relative" term. Likely to the end user of the "best" equipment.

peace
a.j.b
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The AD-8 is a transformer input yes, but it's passive and has no amplifiers! I have three different AD converters in my studio right now and I am favoring the AD-8 over them all. It sounds so much closer to a final record than anything else. The JCF Latte ADC is not transformer coupled. The current crop of JCF DA converters are loaded with output transformers, yes.

BTW, For those of you who have yet to attend your high school english class this semester….The word Best is a "relative" term. Likely to the end user of the "best" equipment.

peace
a.j.b
Doc, can you tell us what converter is used in the newest generation? I know the whole analog surroundings and power supply all mean something but the chip is the heart of everything really. Im betting its the AKM 5578, if so i bet it sounds really nice.
Old 1st February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Doc, can you tell us what converter is used in the newest generation? I know the whole analog surroundings and power supply all mean something but the chip is the heart of everything really. Im betting its the AKM 5578, if so i bet it sounds really nice.
I disagree with your post Entirely, the analog bits are vastly more important…I don't hear chip specs….

I have no idea what chips these units use and Don't care 1-bit, that means nothing to me.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagree with your post Entirely, the analog bits are vastly more important…I don't hear chip specs….

I have no idea what chips these units use and Don't care 1-bit, that means nothing to me.
Oh ok.
Old 9th April 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
You Steinberg UR22 is an AD/DA converter correct? That's what you are using now. Without an AD you can't record into your computer (like vocals, guitars, etc.,) and without the DA you can't mix and hear any music.

Check out the Warm Audio TB12. It's only like $550 or so and sounds great with like many different sonic options. Warm also has a killer eq and a compressor to boot.

Here's a video AB'ing the TB12 next to the Avalon 737

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55kBsPzMDi0

I currently have the Steinberg UR28M and it is a decent little converter plus pres. However I plan on upgrading to either the Forssell MADA-2a or the Burl B2 ADC and DAC. I'm also considering the Benchmark DAC2. However for the money, the Mytek 8x192 on the used market is a great piece as well as the Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC.

I might pick up the Mytek 192 Stereo or the DAC2 and then and the Burl B2 ADC on the front end.

Blue Sky
I just got the tonebeast. Love it.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbo View Post
Care to share your findings?
Old 19th April 2017
I also experienced that when I used external word clock (RME) on a focusrite interface , it actually sounded better than in standalone mode.... so I'm not really sure of dan lavry's theory either ...

I need better conversion , currently have a RME fireface 802... external clock or high end 2 channel convertor ?

( the 2 channel converter would somehow make my 802 redundant I believe !!! )
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

You would be surprised how many engineers never had A/B compared different converters having lots of highend equipment

I strongly recommend to do the lesson at least with 3-4 converters to "see" if you hear any difference in your recordings/mixing/mastering. Just listening to GS samples are not much of a help...

...and the winner is...or rather are...IMO Universal Audio 2192 for "Tape/colour" and Forssell for "clean" cos both are very "musical" sounding converters.

Don't bother the bottom DA BOX converter which was the most toy-sounding of them all.

Good luck with you journey!
Attached Thumbnails
Best AD/DA converters-my-converters.jpg  

Last edited by Simma Lugnt; 15th July 2017 at 07:18 PM..
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

...by now i have only 8x2192 left to reach the goal
Attached Thumbnails
Best AD/DA converters-neil-young-12x-2192s.jpg  
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear
I picked my solution a while back but its no longer available.
I went with SSL Alpha link w/ black lion mod and clock. This worked well with SSL MX4 cards.

If I was to pick a system today I would be looking at RME or Burl.

The important choice will be MADI or Daunte. Pick your protocol first. Make sure your protocol driver work with whatever computer software and hardware you like to use.

Also the clock setup can require a word clock master. Highly debated snake oil debate, but I can hear the changes.
Old 15th July 2017
I record through , then bounce throughout gig my HEDD 192. Simple great!

I did a shoot out 2/3 years ago. Where I recorded a folk artist through and mixed through 5 converters. Using the same vocal & acoustic chain. And the HEDD sounded more 'real' and also less 'harsh' than an Aurora, an old digi 192, a UA Apollo 1, an apogee Symphony 1 and some others.

I see no one else has mentioned this excellent convertor.
Old 29th July 2017
While I miss my old Prism ADA8 for it's huge clarity, the Burl's punch is a heavy, fast knockout. It's like Muhammed Ali.
The new Prism stuff has a cool compressed kind of sound that brings up ambience and colour but the Burl is my fav for capturing.

I clock them, a Mytek ADC (soft on transients) and 3 AVID IO boxes with a BLA 3 and I'm getting content.....
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

BURL
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

No, nothing like Muhammad Ali.

Although it IS colored.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

And we all have different perception, as well.
I call younger guys with fresh ears from time to time to listen new converters in various scenarios.
Often, 'lesser' converters grab their attention 'for better' some artifacts do the good.
I do not hear any real impact from 'advancements' of conversion, if we talk already well advanced modern converters since 2010.
If I doubt my ears, I call others and get no justification for 'better converters'.
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

I use an Apogee Symphony mk2, doesnt get much better than this unit, yes burl and prism are great as well as are the new Lynx but at this level its really nitpicking imo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search