The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 8000G (32-Channel with Automation) Consoles
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

SSL 8000G (32-Channel with Automation)

Anybody using one of these? We just recently acquired one for our Studio C and it looks pretty good. I've not had the chance to sit down with it, but from what I've heard they're almost internally a 4000? Can anyone elaborate on that? I know they're designed specifically for film, but I've seen and heard of many people using them for music applications as well.

Anyone care to share some information? I used the "search" function and didn't find too much information.
Old 4th August 2014
From what i've learned it is exactly as a 4k internally except it has more busses.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
From what i've learned it is exactly as a 4k internally except it has more busses.
That's the only difference I've noticed so far. Anyone else got any information?

Come on, I know someone has got to have something bad or good to say?
(Least we have the option to track on the Trident 80b and mix on the SSL now)
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Maniac

my fav SSL. Was mixing on one (music) for years at Enterprise Studios in Burbank. More busses plus the option for a couple of patchable automated EQ's and surround pan's. Thats about it.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl-audio View Post
my fav SSL. Was mixing on one (music) for years at Enterprise Studios in Burbank. More busses plus the option for a couple of patchable automated EQ's and surround pan's. Thats about it.
How's it compare to an actual 4000k? Upon testing a few of the pre's it sounds very (how do you say, clean but got some vibe too it).
We wanted something with the SSL name, we found this at a steal so we jumped on it. The next thing to add is an 80-series neve!
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I've used both and own an 8k...

For all intents and purposes they're the same desk. Tech-wise there are a few differences under the hood. But more important than the 4k/8k number is the condition of the very desk itself. The 8k desks had the option for E or G EQs. I chose half and half when customizing mine.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-661 View Post
I've used both and own an 8k...

For all intents and purposes they're the same desk. Tech-wise there are a few differences under the hood. But more important than the 4k/8k number is the condition of the very desk itself. The 8k desks had the option for E or G EQs. I chose half and half when customizing mine.
Mine is fully loaded with all G EQ's. I might look into investing in some separate E modules for down the road. Nice little bit of information right there! This may be a stupid question, but I've never used E modules, compared to the G's. What's the major differences? I'm sure I can look this up. But, it'd be nice to have someone tell me whose got hands on experience!
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryk1989 View Post
Mine is fully loaded with all G EQ's. I might look into investing in some separate E modules for down the road. Nice little bit of information right there! This may be a stupid question, but I've never used E modules, compared to the G's. What's the major differences? I'm sure I can look this up. But, it'd be nice to have someone tell me whose got hands on experience!
In function, the E has bell curves on high and low band in the eq..the G has a "x 3" button for low and hi mid freq function.

Sonically, I'm not really sure how you'd describe the differences - most of the ssls I've used have had e series eq I think.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

The E series eq (242) also has the hi and low pass filters that click completely out of the circuit.
JJ
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
The E series eq (242) also has the hi and low pass filters that click completely out of the circuit.
JJ
Unless I'm missing your meaning, the G series EQ also has switchable filters.

Found

SSL 4000 EQ shootout

whilst looking for pics - quite useful info.

Turns out I'm more used to the G+ EQ (which itself is closer to the E than the G series)....
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'll try not to put everyone to sleep. Lol ....
Brown - early eq. Nice wide eq. One could get some sounds up pretty swiftly if the material was recorded well and didn't need some tight cuts/boosts. The hi pass filter doesn't click out of the circuit when turned all of the way down. So if you turn the hi pass all of the way down, it was still cutting around 50.
"Black" 242 - corrected the hi pass filter. When turned all of the way down, it clicks out of circuit. So you get everything down under. Bell and shelf option on low and hi bands. Very helpful. Tighter Q at your disposal for more involved eq moves.
292 "pink" but don't let the black low band knob fool you into thinking it's a "black". Look for the + or - button on low and hi bands. No shelf or bell option. Constant Q, even with the q turned full tight, the q is still pretty wide. Not very good at notching out problematic frequencies.
Orange- forget the number. I'm not 100% on this! but I believe this was an attempt by SSL to make an EQ with characteristics of the Pultec which were gaining fame at the time. I don't know much about them nor ever used one.
Good luck!
JJ
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

P.s. All of the eq's can be found on any console. SSL made 2 or more eq's at any given time. So you can easily have an E series board with pink 292's. People will even swap out the pink knob cap so the console will look full of 242's ( most desirable eq....at the moment)
JJ
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search