The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH310 vs KH120 + KH810 Studio Monitors
View Poll Results: Considering they are the same price, which combo is the best?
Neumann KH 310
35 Votes - 81.40%
Neumann KH 120 + Neumann KH 810
8 Votes - 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Neumann KH310 vs KH120 + KH810

2 x Neumann KH310 = 3538€
2 x Neumann KH120 + Neumann KH810 = 1250€ + 2290€ = 3540€

About the same price, from thomann.de
Which combo you think is the best?

EDIT: Can you please also state which of the options you had the opportunity of listening live, and how many hours you spent with each one?

Last edited by blueredgreengo; 3rd August 2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 3rd August 2014
My Choice: Neumann KH 310
Neumann KH310A are fabulous monitors

They have enough bass for rock, blues and pop music.
Honestly, you don't need a Sub-bass.

Very balanced speakers, if you like that.
Some say clinical... But I'm not. They are absolutely honest !

I'm a proud KH310 owner.

R.
Old 3rd August 2014
My Choice: Neumann KH 120 + Neumann KH 810
even the KH120a on thier own have a LOT of bass for such a small speaker, you might be surprised, with a sub as well we are talking insane territory here, like trouser flapping face melting territory
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Sure but it's not like the sub will add to the bass of the speakers since there is a crossover in the sub. Properly configured, it should got lower and louder overall, not have more bass, right?
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Go with the kh310. Much more detailed than the kh120.
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Can you please also state which of the options you had the opportunity of listening live, and how many hours you spent with each one?
Old 3rd August 2014
Midrange information is much more important IMHO, than what is going on below 30-35hz. In this case you are going to get much more accurate midrange information with the 310 because they are 3 way. This will make for better mixes that translate better (and allow you to guess less). The bass will all still be there, I think a lot of people underestimate how much bass is going on between 40hz-100hz in a club. So with a KH sub you gain an extra 5hz, maybe 10hz extension over the 310. If you aren't hearing accurate bass on your 310s, then your room needs serious TLC.

With subwoofers, unless your room is designed and treated professionally, you need two of them to have what is called modal averaging (I'm not an expert on this myself, but I've read a lot on the subject and talked to those who do know the science). Even in a great room, I'd personally still opt for two subwoofers if going that route. I also find a midfield positioning to yield better imaging and bass than nearfield, and the 310s are going to be much better at this (i.e. 6-10 feet equilateral triangle).

So that's three major reasons to just get the 310s. They are an improvement over the older 300s, which in themselves are excellent <--The 310s go lower, louder, and are even more accurate. This is all likely why there are 5 votes for the 310s and zero for the 120s. The 120s are excellent speakers for their size/class but having a sub doesn't turn them into a super 310.
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Most clubs have subwoofers. Wouldn't the 120 + 810 be better suited for electronic music?
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Nut

310s with 810 sub is pretty amazing.
Let's the whole thing breath at high SPL.
Turn off the bass management and the 310s sound great too.
Not what the OP asked, but sure is a fun rig.

Of the two choices in the poll, I'd go with the 310s.
They are amazing and go down pretty low.
Old 24th January 2015
Here for the gear

Warbler, where do you put crossover between sub and 0310´s?

-Olli

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler View Post

Old 25th January 2015
Gear Nut

Crossover is built in to the 810.
Many other controls as well.
You need to calibrate all of these to get the optimal solution for your room.
It is "room specific".
No generic answer for this.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone has the opportunity to compare the kh310 against the Event Opals?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler View Post

getting a pair of 310's for sure.
wondering if i should get the sub as well?
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head
I'll say this is not comparable. Obviously KH310 are better monitors , 3 way, more accurate, with better soundstage ect.. Also, most of the times there could be phase conflicts in 2+1 systems so they sound OK but not as it should be for that price. 2 + 1 combo demands a lot of measurements during positioning if you want to set it properly and most of the rooms have big problems with such low frequencies (20-50Hz).. You'll need a big amount of absorbers to control the sub.
I would go with KH310's..
P.S. I really appreciate the quality of their sub but I think there are much cheaper SUBs with great specs and results.. Just mine opinion...
Old 9th May 2015
Lives for gear
A vote on a forum regarding spending $3500!!

My friend you are crazy!! :-)

Make it your business to move man and mountain and get each different set of speaker combinations in your studio playing your mixes before you spend $3500.

I use the 0300's which I love but you might hate them!
The Focal Twins have had rave reviews on this forum - I got a pair in my studio and I thought they where truly dreadful.

Your ears and auditory perception are unique to you, you must audition in your work space and with your material any speakers you intend to spend a large sum of money on
anything else is crazy imho.

For what's it's worth I'd go for the 0310's and then you have the option of adding a 810 later on if your room can take/merits a sub unit.
Old 13th May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
A vote on a forum regarding spending $3500!!

My friend you are crazy!! :-)

Make it your business to move man and mountain and get each different set of speaker combinations in your studio playing your mixes before you spend $3500.

I use the 0300's which I love but you might hate them!
The Focal Twins have had rave reviews on this forum - I got a pair in my studio and I thought they where truly dreadful.

Your ears and auditory perception are unique to you, you must audition in your work space and with your material any speakers you intend to spend a large sum of money on
anything else is crazy imho.

For what's it's worth I'd go for the 0310's and then you have the option of adding a 810 later on if your room can take/merits a sub unit.
i realize almost anytime someone asks about monitors the first answers going to be you have to hear them. fair enough.
but my room is fully treated 100%.
i've heard the kh310's here and i thought they were great.

but i'm still curious who's running them with the 0800 sub?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search