The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dealing with unbalanced input 500 series api 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Dealing with unbalanced input 500 series api

I just got a pair of original api 550 eq and also reissue 550b eq but an older version that is unbalanced at input stage.

I haven't gotten around to ordering the connecting cables for the lunchbox yet and I will soon so I can't really test it but I was wondering how I should deal with the unbalanced thing. I am mixing out of an apogee symphony system then back.

I know I can use a preamp to balance it before (or I think after) but have also heard that there is a Jensen transformer box which balances it.

I'm not super tech savvy so I was wondering if people in similar situations can comment on their thoughts on this topic and what would be best for me.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Bump on this.. @ moderators: why'd this get moved from "High end" sub forum? Everything mentioned is a high end product.

Can I appeal this? Lol
Old 4th August 2014
Appeal granted. Moved back to High End, one of these cats will know.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

thanks whitecat! now bump!!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Chances are good that this will not be a problem in most cases. I use unbalanced preamps all the time. I use short cable runs to my converter.

If there is a problem I have a few DI boxes and a rack unit that does the job. There are quite a few different options available for purchase and many are not that expensive.

Have you tried connecting it yet? Any noise, buzz issues? If it sounds good then go for it!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have a rack of old vintage api 550's, I never had any balancing issues on front end or mix down.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

The older 525 was also Unbalanced..Not much room left...But yes, IF you are driving it with a Pre with a Transformer output then it should be OK..
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I have a rack of old vintage api 550's, I never had any balancing issues on front end or mix down.
you are using it in a hybrid setup with adda converters?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search