The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Massive Passive or Summit EQF 100 which is most usuable? Equalisers (HW)
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Nut
Manley Massive Passive or Summit EQF 100 which is most usuable?

I have an opportunity to buy the either a stereo pair of the Summit EQF 100's or a manley massive passive.

I would love to buy a pair of pultec eqp-1a's but my budget is 3k and those are going to cost 12k.

I am looking for an eq that ads a smooth and beefy tone. I am not looking for a perfectly transparent surgical EQ. For me, plugins work fine for that.

I love to get beef without too much grit. A little grit it ok with me.

Does anyone have experience using both of these EQs?

Thanks
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

I use the Massive Passive every day, and I think it's one of the best EQ's you can own.

It's the ONLY EQ I can think of off the top of my head that can mimic that new Undertone MPEQ-1 EQ trick Eric Valentine does on drums since every band can be changed to a bell or a shelf.

I don't have much experience with the Summit, but I know it's not nearly as flexible, the Summit is a bit "drier" sounding in a good way, but I can't imagine not having a Massive Passive in my studio. It would feel all kinds of wrong. Also it's just part of my 2Bus chain...has been for about 5 years. 3K is a STEAL. Buy it.

Listen to and watch what he does with his channel strip EQ...really crazy, but...I managed to pull off something close in terms of curves with the Massive Passive and some experimentation. That undertone is a very complicated EQ design...probably the deepest in terms of control since the Buzz REQ. But the Massive is on their level in terms of range of control.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

You won't get grit with either. Manley is much more surgical, obviously. I don't think Manley is beefy, unless the beef is already available in the source. You need to sit and play with these at your leisure.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I use the Massive Passive every day, and I think it's one of the best EQ's you can own.

It's the ONLY EQ I can think of off the top of my head that can mimic that new Undertone MPEQ-1 EQ trick Eric Valentine does on drums since every band can be changed to a bell or a shelf.

I don't have much experience with the Summit, but I know it's not nearly as flexible, the Summit is a bit "drier" sounding in a good way, but I can't imagine not having a Massive Passive in my studio. It would feel all kinds of wrong. Also it's just part of my 2Bus chain...has been for about 5 years. 3K is a STEAL. Buy it.

Listen to and watch what he does with his channel strip EQ...really crazy, but...I managed to pull off something close in terms of curves with the Massive Passive and some experimentation. That undertone is a very complicated EQ design...probably the deepest in terms of control since the Buzz REQ. But the Massive is on their level in terms of range of control.
Thanks for the video! I had not seen this episode of Pensados Place!
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
You won't get grit with either. Manley is much more surgical, obviously. I don't think Manley is beefy, unless the beef is already available in the source. You need to sit and play with these at your leisure.
I partly disagree with this. The Massive Passive is smooth, not gritty, but it's also LARGE sounding. Huge buff for the stereo image. No offense, but I think of it as being big on tone, there's transformers in there, it's not some thin or anemic device. It's also in my opinion the BEST unit the company has ever made, but YMMV as they say. I think everyone patches one in expecting a Pultec...and it's a totally different design. The MP should be judged on it's own merits, since it can boost or cut 20dB on four bands I think it deserves that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
Thanks for the video! I had not seen this episode of Pensados Place!
You're totally welcome. Download the manual for the Massive Passive and read it...read it twice even if you buy it. It's a DEEEEEP river you're jumping in. But if you really understand that piece you can do a ton of great things with it.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Love my Massive Passive and find it very useful. It can be bold and lean to huge, but I wouldn't ever say it meets the criteria of being called beefy. While it has some similar attributes as a Pultec, it is not a Pultec but it certainly would get you much, much closer to a Pultec tone than anything made by Summit.
Old 30th July 2014
+3 and agree on the Massive Passive. It has a color, more smoothing than gritty. But definitely a big sound. Give it a little extra signal and generously boost between 60-100hz, it will be more meat than you can chew on.
Old 1st February 2015
Gear Nut
Thought it would be nice to update, I bought the massive passive and LOVE it. Best sounds I've ever achieved are with this lil SOB
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHissin View Post
Thought it would be nice to update, I bought the massive passive and LOVE it. Best sounds I've ever achieved are with this lil SOB
AWESOME!!!! I don't have one in my rack yet.......yet.....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search