The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1 high end vs 3 high-ish end microphones
Old 22nd July 2014
Here for the gear

1 high end vs 3 high-ish end microphones

I've got a pretty limited mic collection which I plan to upgrade so I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending my money on one high end mic (m149, vmx, reference gold) or 3 high-ish end mics (peluso 2247se, p12, 22 251)? It / they will be used mainly for recording vocals in various styles by various people.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrns View Post
I've got a pretty limited mic collection which I plan to upgrade so I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending my money on one high end mic (m149, vmx, reference gold) or 3 high-ish end mics (peluso 2247se, p12, 22 251)? It / they will be used mainly for recording vocals in various styles by various people.
Welcome to GS jrns!

Since you already have some mics avalaible, I'd get one GREAT mic, that is versatile enough or that at least goes in the direction of your productions goal/genres/tastes. Flea, Brauner, Manley, Violet Design, Josephson and some Neumann's should be considered.
What are the mics that you already own?

Pairing a great mic with a nice preamp will also help to reach your goals.

With what you already have, plus one of the great above mentioned mics might cover most or all your needs.
Buy once but good! You'll save money in the mid/long run. heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
If you just buy the 1, what happens when you get a singer who doesn't sound great on that one?
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Addict

The best answer for this really is dependent on your situation and goals. Based on what you said, in my opinion versatility will be what you want.

I've never met a microphone that sounded good for all singers in all situations. Ribbon mics sound terrible for certain vocalists but great on crooners. I would go for versatility myself.

But looking at from a business and marketing perspective, having that one awesome mic that many singers actively seek (if there is such a crowd that you work with), that mic might bring in some credibility and work for you.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I've never used any peluso mics so I can't comment on them but I've never been disappointed when I've gone for quality over quantity and mics are the single most important element in the recording chain.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
3 high-ish end mics
I believe the proper construction is:

Quote:
3 high-endish mics
in all seriousness, as a general rule I favor fewer pieces of higher quality. There are times when you need 'quantity', like drum mics. There are times when you need 'variety', like golf clubs. But you could extend that argument forever, to the point where you buy fifty $100 mics with your budget.

There are times when having one totally no-compromise, top of the line tool is the right way to go.

Then you save for a long time and you do the same thing again.

It won't be quick, but eventually you will have multiple great pieces... and there will be nothing "ish" about them.
Old 22nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks guys,

I guess my main reservation about going the 1 mic route is the age old question of 'is a $5000 worth $3500 more than a $1500 mic?' and if the 'real world' answer to that is no then the 3 mic route seems to make more sense.

Any more thoughts?
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys,

I guess my main reservation about going the 1 mic route is the age old question of 'is a $5000 worth $3500 more than a $1500 mic?' and if the 'real world' answer to that is no then the 3 mic route seems to make more sense.

Any more thoughts?
What are the other mics you have?

Cheu
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks guys,

Any more thoughts?
Even though I would go for the Super-mic, I have to admit, it is never "worth" $3500 more. That's just how much more you have to pay to get it. To get that tiny bit of extra quality or whatever. All technological things and most luxury goods follow the law of diminishing returns. The $1500 mic may get you 98% of the way there, and the $5000 mic may get you 99.9% of the way there.

I suppose it all depends on how sensitive you are to that last percent or two. One thing to keep in mind is that there is no end to the justification in the other direction, either. Maybe a $500 mic will get you 95% of the way there.

Whatever "there" even is. It's not an easy decision, surely.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I think it's a great question, and I've asked myself the same thing a few times over the years. I don't own a super mic. But I do own a few Lomos, a late 60's U87 and a new 414, as well as a few RCA ribbons and a Coles. I wouldn't trade these in on a super mic. I would rather have a few Lomos than one U67, because not all mics sound great on all sources.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

It really depends on what you're recording and your goals. Are you recording a few sources (or voices) consistently and want the best possible sound? Or do you have a range of clients and want a microphone they can point at and go "wow...give me that one?" The first warrants a shootout and you buying a few microphones with your budget. The latter may warrant a U87/U47/C12 (insert whatever's popular to imitate) and name brands like Neumann, Flea, or Brauner.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear
I would buy one good mic. You save money in the long run. Save up and then buy another if needed.
Old 22nd July 2014
You have wrote: Mainly for recording vocals.

I'm sure, every time you are recording vocals, you take your 'top' mic, not your two or three middle class microphones.
Of course it's good to have also a Shure SM7 and a Electrovoice RE20, maybe a U87 in your miclocker.
They are really great for some voices and situations and truly affordable.

But at the end.... one splendid microphone is an advantage !

R.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search