The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bae 10DC vs Titans
Old 21st July 2014
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Bae 10DC vs Titans

Needing a pair of compressors for Guitar bus - was using my Trakkers (which were amazing) but now am using them on another source. Seriously considering getting a pair of 10DC's as I love my MA5's and know Avedis is a genius. However, I don't need too much color added to mu G-Bus and am also considering the Titans (I already own 1). Could anyone who has had a chance to work with each of these amazing pieces share your opinions please?
Thanks!
rich
Old 22nd July 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
Needing a pair of compressors for Guitar bus - was using my Trakkers (which were amazing) but now am using them on another source. Seriously considering getting a pair of 10DC's as I love my MA5's and know Avedis is a genius. However, I don't need too much color added to mu G-Bus and am also considering the Titans (I already own 1). Could anyone who has had a chance to work with each of these amazing pieces share your opinions please?
Thanks!
rich
Hey Rich,
at this level I suggest to test out the units for your application and decide.. it's really a matter of taste and I don't think that my words could really help you.. but I agree with you, Avedis is indeed a genius, and a great guy. I love the MA5 as well..

Since you have already one titan you should know if it's the right tool for your application..
They are both great pieces, while being different.
Try to find a dealer that let return either unit..
Good luck!



Cheu
Old 22nd July 2014
  #3
Gear Addict
 
burst's Avatar
 

All I know is I've had a pair of 10DCs for two weeks now and I'm completely smitten with them for guitars. Not too colored, just major league glue and a lovely sheen. I've had them on a key sub, too, but really fell in love with them on guitars.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #4
10DC is really great on guitars. Also happens to be the best kick drum compressor of all time.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #5
Gear Nut
 

I have the UAD Neve 33609 plug. I know you can't compare a plug to the 10DC, but is it's flavor it that ballpark? I love the UAD plugs but am all about HW compression. Still deciding on the Titans vs 10DC. I know eventually I will have both! For now I must pick one pair...
Old 23rd July 2014
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
I have the UAD Neve 33609 plug. I know you can't compare a plug to the 10DC, but is it's flavor it that ballpark? I love the UAD plugs but am all about HW compression. Still deciding on the Titans vs 10DC. I know eventually I will have both! For now I must pick one pair...
I've got the UAD 33609, too (along with a newer JD 33609 and an old metal knob unit). Frankly, the plugin kinda stinks if you're looking for a 33609 vibe. UAD missed the mark on that one, IMO. On the other hand, it's still a very good-sounding plugin, and very usable, as long as you're not specifically looking for a proper Neve clone.

Anywho, the 10DC is worlds better. I can throw a bunch of adjectives at you, but I'm not sure how much else I can really say.
Old 24th July 2014
  #7
My client Sean just sent me some feedback on his newly purchased 10DC's
He said;

"There is nothing that isn't improved by the 10DC's,
-thank you gents!"
Old 25th July 2014
  #8
Gear Nut
 

One more question...
Would running my Guitar Bus thru a pair of MA5's produce similar color as the 10DC? Then perhaps I could let the Titans handle the dynamics with my MA5's adding some of that magic color?? Or is the 10DC's color a bit different than the MA5's? I'm eventually going the HAVE to get a pair of 10DC's but only need 1 Titan to make a pair.
Thoughts please?

Thanks so much for the responses so far!
Old 25th July 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
One more question...
Would running my Guitar Bus thru a pair of MA5's produce similar color as the 10DC? Then perhaps I could let the Titans handle the dynamics with my MA5's adding some of that magic color?? Or is the 10DC's color a bit different than the MA5's? I'm eventually going the HAVE to get a pair of 10DC's but only need 1 Titan to make a pair.
Thoughts please?

Thanks so much for the responses so far!
The 10DC is a diode bridge type of compressor.. it will give you a nice colour especially while compressing.. the MA5 (with the line pads), strapped across a bus will yeld to a nice pleasing fattening effect.. IMO in a more subtle way..maybe.. very hard to describe this.. you'll not get a compressor "effect"... it's more like an eq effect without the artifacts of an eq..

Since you have a Titan, I suggest to use it in the intended application on a mono bus.. and see if you're happy with it or not.. if not.. try the 10DC.. it is a fantastic piece, but different from having the MA5's on the bus, which is also great..heh really hard to describe..
(I tried the MA5's on the master and not a bus, but the effect is really great, subtle to some degree, I mean it's not in the way, but when you take them out you immediately notice that you cut something..)

I dunno if this helps.. it's a matter of taste as I said..



Cheu
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump