The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Lot?
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

Vintage Lot?

I've recently stumbled upon a lot of vintage gear that was used by a old recording studio here in town. The studio is no longer in use, but most of the gear is still available for sale. It was established as a small radio station/broadcast facility and eventually took on recording a few clients through out the late 70's. I've had the opportunity to test most of it and well, I like some of the pieces. And well, I could use a few of them for my own studio.

However, the people offering the sale won't sell pieces individually. It's basically buy it all or nothing. I think the price there wanting may be a little steep, but I have no way of knowing the prices on some of the pieces. Everything is in great shape and those Sony mics sound great! They're asking 22,000$ for everything! Here's what's listed and what I've tested so far.

1 Vintage Sony C37A
1 Vintage RCA 77-D
1 Vintage Sony C37P
1 Vintage Sony C38B
1 Vintage AKG D30
3 Vintage AKG D19C
1 Vintage AKG D20
1 Vintage AKG 12
1 Vintage Shure SM5B

1 Vintage EMT 250 Plate Reverb
1 Vintage Lexicon PCM 70 Reverb
1 Vintage AMS RMX-16 Reverb
1 Vintage AMS DMX 15-80s
1 Vintage Yamaha Rev 5 Reverb
1 Vintage Urei 1178
1 Vintage Urei LA-4
1 Vintage Roland SRE-555 Delay
1 Vintage Telefunken V76
1 Vintage Jim Gordon Model 30 Pre-Amp
1 Vintage Orban 642B Stereo EQ
2 Vintage DBX 902 De-Esser

Apparently the place was really into Sony and AKG Mics. Although, the use of a lot of AKG (Drum mics?) sort of intrigues me? Any information on that? As far as the lot goes, how's the 22,000$ price tag look? I'm mostly interested in the EMT 250, all the Sony mics, the AMS Reverb and Delay, Telefunken V76 (this things sweet!) and the older AKG drum mics. I read somewhere that the Beatles used a couple AKG D19C? But, I haven't found a lot of information. I also would like to add the vintage D12, D20 and D30 to my drum mic arsenal.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Some nice gear there, but doesn't strike me as a huge bargain for a job lot.
Beatles did use D19s (mainly for drums post 1965) as well as the D12 and D20.
Old 20th July 2014
Seems like a decent price, but not so much so that I'm googling that gear list to try to snipe it from ya

The Sony C37 and RCA are rad. EMT 240 is cool. AMS verbs are cool. V76 is cool.

If I knew the folks selling this gear and it was in my 'hood, I'd probably go for it for $22k. I'd keep maybe a third of it and sell off the rest individually.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Some nice gear there, but doesn't strike me as a huge bargain for a job lot.
Beatles did use D19s (mainly for drums post 1965) as well as the D12 and D20.
That's basically all they have. There's a old Calrec desk in there as well. But, it's not included in the sale. I'm not really to concerned with grabbing the D19's based on the Beatles using them. I'm more looking toward building my Vintage Gear selection a little bit. I imagine for 22,000$ I could probably grab the few pieces I'm most interested in off the used market.

The Sony C-37A, Sony C-37P, Sony C-38B, RCA 77-D, AKG D-30, AKG D-19C, AKG D-20, AKG D-12, Telefunken V76, EMT 250, Urei 1178, AMS RMX-16 and AMS DMX 15-80s are what I want most. The rest I could live without. I've already got plenty of mics, pre-amps, compressors and reverbs. But, everyone likes to have a few Vintage pieces laying around, right?
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Seems like a decent price, but not so much so that I'm googling that gear list to try to snipe it from ya

The Sony C37 and RCA are rad. EMT 240 is cool. AMS verbs are cool. V76 is cool.

If I knew the folks selling this gear and it was in my 'hood, I'd probably go for it for $22k. I'd keep maybe a third of it and sell off the rest individually.
There's just select pieces I'm after as mentioned. Mostly the Sony C-37A, Sony C-37P, Sony C-38B, RCA 77-D, AKG D-30, AKG D-19C, AKG D-20, AKG D-12, Telefunken V76, EMT 250, Urei 1178, AMS RMX-16 and AMS DMX 15-80s. I'm not so sure the 22,000$ price tag justifies just those 13 pieces. As you mentioned, I could always sell of the rest. But, I don't see to much money coming from the remaining pieces.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Guru

IMO it's overpriced. Especially as a take it all or leave it deal. Some nice pieces, but not KILLER pieces that I couldn't live without. $22k in this market goes a long way towards attaining some killer vintage gear.....
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

You wont sell those at once for that price. If you sell individually itll take a lot of time and effort and documentation with pics and checkups. If you sell bulk to a broker you might get 15k at most.

My recommendation: take proper pics of all units and put em in the classifieds its still more money than a broker would pay if you manage to sell em individually.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
IMO it's overpriced. Especially as a take it all or leave it deal. Some nice pieces, but not KILLER pieces that I couldn't live without. $22k in this market goes a long way towards attaining some killer vintage gear.....
The Dr. is correct.

Overpriced for a bulk sale, I wouldn't buy it.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

For a bulk deal with no idea about condition ,
I'd walk!
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
For a bulk deal with no idea about condition ,
I'd walk!
I know all about it's condition. Everything is in almost new like state, as I've had the opportunity to test. But, I walked regardless based upon being able to get what I wanted of the lot for around the same amount.
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

If everything really was working and in great shape, it's worth it, but you better know what you are doing or you could end up with a nightmare as some of those items are impossible to repair like the Sony C38B and the AKG D30/D19c/D20/D12 as no replacement parts are available. Others like the Telefunken V76 and the EMT 250 are very difficult and very expensive to repair.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search