The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C37A User : which Pre are you using
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Addict

Sony C37A User : which Pre are you using

Hi Folks,

for the C37 User amongst you :

Which Pres do you use in conjunction with your C37A and why ?

I am looking for a new "go to pre" especially for Vocal, Guitar and Room Recordings with the C37.

As it needs plenty of gain I am wondering which ones you are using.

So far I have been using it with Electrodyne 501 for coloured vocals and an AEA RPQ 500 going for a less coloured room/acoustical tone.

Would be interested with what you usually go for before I tell you the ones I have in my mind on the shopping list.

thanks for any thought
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Maniac

You have on you tube a fine example with 2 mics coupled with 2 V76's for a piano take and it's stunning ( just go to hear it via you tube ) search at sony c37 / telefunken V76 you will easily find out
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

Sounds lovely indeed I way thinking about a Retro Power Strip as "go to" chain. Other option might be an AML Ez1073 ...
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I got a pair of C37A's.

They sound good through pretty much anything - for vocals I tend to use either a Retro Powerstrip or a Tele V76. Same with acoustic guitars.

My favorite C37A application is as drum overheads in a Glyn Johns setup thru a pair of 1073s or 1081s. Sounds like a record straight away.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

Hi BB Bill,

thanks.. so I was not that wrong with the Power Strip or the AML Powerstrip intrigues me because of the EQ and the chance to give it 2-3db initial compression when tracking.

Just have one though. What a pitty. I like to use two Shiny Box Ribbons with Lundals Xformer for Glyn Johns.

Main purpose of the S37 is Vocals , Guitars and maybe mono rooms
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Addict

any more thoughts ?
Old 25th July 2014
Real 1073's, RND PII, 5024, 511, Demeter VTMP2-A, RCA's...

Great mic's, you need a fair amount of clean gain, not the highest output mic's. Use a pre with attitude... and a fairly open top. Voxbox may not have enough gain for soft vocalist [great piece though], and neither will the lower gain V Tele pre's. I'd make sure you had at least 60 db of gain.

Proper, NOS, selected, quiet tube [Tele Red Dots, RCA Black Plates, Tung Sol, Bugle Boy, 10M's] will be noticeable as well. it will sound different depending on the tube and specs.

You have an awesome toy/tool, enjoy. Along with the applications already mentioned- don't hesitate to try with Female Vox, El Gtr [see uncle Jack D./aerosmith/lennon/cheap trick], and it's one of the finest trumpet mics ever-see Miles and RVG...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 25th July 2014
One of the best vocal sounds I ever got was with a C37P and a Retro Powerstrip. Killer combo.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Congrats on your C37A. They are great mics.

Try not to get caught up in the idea of needing to pair mics with certain mic pres. The best albums were made on one console, with one type of mic pre for every mic and instrument. This idea that you need a bunch of different pres is usually propagated by guys trying to sell you mic pres.

I use whichever is the most convenient pre, or what's available. If something sounds weird, and I suspect is the frequency response of the pre, I try something else, depending on what I'm hearing. It will always depend on the source and the music the track is sitting in. I never have a hard a fast rule that anything must go through something.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post

Try not to get caught up in the idea of needing to pair mics with certain mic pres.
The best albums were made on one console, with one type of mic pre for every mic and instrument.
This idea that you need a bunch of different pres is usually propagated by guys trying to sell you mic pres.
+1

Absolutely true !!

But it is also important, to have 'THE' right console or preamp.

R.
Old 27th July 2014
Quote:

Try not to get caught up in the idea of needing to pair mics with certain mic pres. The best albums were made on one console, with one type of mic pre for every mic and instrument. This idea that you need a bunch of different pres is usually propagated by guys trying to sell you mic pres.

I use whichever is the most convenient pre, or what's available. If something sounds weird, and I suspect is the frequency response of the pre, I try something else, depending on what I'm hearing. It will always depend on the source and the music the track is sitting in. I never have a hard a fast rule that anything must go through something.
This is true, but the old adage form follows function applies here.

Vintage tube pres have tons of gain, in part, because they were designed to work with old ribbon mics that need tons of gain. The impedance values of vintage mic pres were chosen with the desired impedance of the microphones of that era in mind...etc. I've definitely pulled up certain microphone/preamp combos and said, "Something's not right there...let's change the pre."

For the most part you're right, most mics will preform relatively as designed with most mic pres, but there are plenty of exceptions. The C37 (A and P) has an extremely low output level for a condenser, the lowest of any condenser I can think of. It definitely needs LOTS of clean gain, especially on sources like acoustic guitar or vocals.

I recently got to play with the Atlas Juggernaut pre, and the effect the variable impedance knob had on the frequency response of a mic was pretty eye opening.

I think your post actually implied some of this, so not disagreeing, it just made me contemplate this issue.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

You took the words right off of my hands.
Old 28th July 2014
Here for the gear

1073 or v76.... Or v76 into the 1073 for high pass and a bit of high shelf!
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks for your advices. Really will try to get the most out of the C37A.

Sooooo you guys really confirmed my inner voice regarding the V76. How much would you pay these days for one ( refurbished / not refurbised ) ?

The mist dissolves a little: its likely going to be a V76 or a Retro Power Strip. An AML EZ1073 is on the shortlist anyway.

Cheers
Tom
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
Hi Folks,

for the C37 User amongst you :

Which Pres do you use in conjunction with your C37A and why ?
whichever single type of pre is in the desk I am recording a given album through.

the same single type I use on everything on the record.
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Addict

Just curious after checking the actually prices for serviced / recapped and racked V76s ;-( .. does anybody of you consider the Mercury V76 to be quite there ?
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Addict

As a follow up. Seems I am getting more and more into the Retro Power Strip. However my Dealer noted, that Sony C37 as a tube mice and the retro as a tube pre might be little too tuby ?
From here I hade the impression, there are quite a few happy folks around using the C37 with the powerstrip ? ( my alternative would be BAE or AML 1073 )

cheers
tom
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

This.
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
However my Dealer noted, that Sony C37 as a tube mice and the retro as a tube pre might be little too tuby ?
Do you consider recordings made up to the late sixties to be too tuby? All the amplification was tube based.

Andre
Old 21st March 2016
Here for the gear
Hey brother,

Try pairing your Sony with a Maag Pre Q 4. It's a really high class useable sound. Using the air ban gaining up 20K-40K gives some beautiful air much like a C800 give you while being a hell of a lot warmer sounding.

All the best,

Nat
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLove View Post
Hey brother,

Try pairing your Sony with a Maag Pre Q 4. It's a really high class useable sound. Using the air ban gaining up 20K-40K gives some beautiful air much like a C800 give you while being a hell of a lot warmer sounding.

All the best,

Nat
Thanks, I´ll see if i can get my hands on some to try it out.

I had to pause the Set Up for a bit. Right now I am back to square one. Thinking about AML EZ 1073 or A Studer Pre ( the Hacienda 500 looks lovely ) and maybe add later on a Retro Tube Strip or the try out the Dizengoff D2 which i recall as a shot on a RCA’s BA2C

cheers
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Nut

Sounds like you are getting close to a decision. I absolutely love the c37a. It has never sounded bad through any pre. I find myself going back to the m72s, aml 1073, and don't forget the 1567a. Really you can't go wrong. I haven't messed around with different impedance settings but I would imagine that could effect the sound in a noticeable way.
Old 4th April 2016
Here for the gear
I like my vocals with the 37a matched to my Mercury M76 (V76 clone)pushed hard into my Mercury M66 compressor for an aggressive punky/rock up front vintage vibe. I also like to sing into it at about an inch or two away. One thing I noticed about it this time was that the plosives were so small compared to the Mojave M-200 that I was just recording with a little earlier before I switched to the Sony when I got serious about the recording and pulled it out the 37a to track a keeper. I also once used this combination on a Beatle type song once and the results reminded me of the sound of McCartney's vocal on For No One.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search