The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unusual U67 mod
Old 19th July 2014
Here for the gear

Unusual U67 mod

Hi there. I am seeking any info I can about a U67 I was offered to purchase. Basically the old owner had an issue quite some time ago apparently where the tubes kept burning out and he couldn't afford to have the mic services properly, so he had someone change the mic to be tubeless and run off of phantom power. It basically looks like a U87 inside. I looked all over the Internet and I couldn't find one single instance of this happening before (not surprised) so basically I was just hoping someone would possibly have a little insight I to if this even worth purchasing, how much this mod would change the sound, etc. keep in mind he is only asking me for 2,000 USD. Thank you so much for any info. I know it's probably hard with such limited info but that's about the most I could get out of him because he speaks Russian and I unfortunately do not.
Old 19th July 2014
Here for the gear

Here is a photo of the inside
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual U67 mod-image_3756.jpg   Unusual U67 mod-image_8022.jpg  
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

There are only a few persons I would pose this question to. Klaus, Oliver, David Bock, Gangwer and a few others....
Old 19th July 2014
My guess is your plans are to bring it back to its former greatness. Its really a cost benefit analysis. Get a service quote from some one preferably mentioned above. If he had the original power supply to include with it, that would be a game changer. If your not looking to get it rebuilt I'd imagine then its really up to your ear and i would definitely put it up against a U87 and see wether it is really worth it. If it were me I would get it only if you had plans to restore it. If not I would put that money towards another great mic.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattg00d View Post
Basically the old owner had an issue quite some time ago apparently where the tubes kept burning out and he couldn't afford to have the mic services properly, so he had someone change the mic to be tubeless and run off of phantom power.
...personally, that story sounds more than suspect to me...he couldn't afford to repair what sounds like a minor issue, but he could afford to have the entire circuit board replaced?...what happened to the original circuit board and PSU?...if he doesn't have all the original components needed to restore it to it's original form, steer clear!...just my .02c...

Old 19th July 2014
Gear Addict

I have a pair of m269 c ("ac701 version" of the U67) converted to FET (by the swedish radio i believe).
They sound extremely close to the tube version.
I´m sure a lot of GS people would not think that, but I´m also sure there are not many who have tried a FET m269 c.
Much of it lies in the capsule, very much.
Sure, they don´t smooth out transients the same way really.
But personally, I prefer them, partly because you don´t have to carry around a PSU and worry about tube supply. And yes, they sound great, and very close to a tube m269 c.
I don´t know if you have the chance to try it?
I had with my pair, and it was a no brainer.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Addict

Here are pictures of one of mine.
I am not a mic tech by any means, but I think it looks a lot like the same type of mod. Hope this helps your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual U67 mod-m269modfront.jpg   Unusual U67 mod-m269modback.jpg  
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Wow! That is a real shame. I hope that he still has all of the original parts. If not, then send it to someone who does have a stock of parts like Gunter Wagner.

My U67 went to Gunter for a service and I could not be happier.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
There are only a few persons I would pose this question to. Klaus, Oliver, David Bock, Gangwer and a few others....
These are the guys who would know for sure..........

Sadly, we just lost Oliver recently.

RIP Oliver.

You were one of the good ones.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental View Post
These are the guys who would know for sure..........

Sadly, we just lost Oliver recently.

RIP Oliver.

You were one of the good ones.
OMG!...just saw that!...what a shock!...a great loss to the community...what a fine gentleman...

Heavenly Blessings...RIP!

Posted this morning on the site Oliver moderated by his partner Terry Manning:
http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.c...3#.U8vm1bHaHFI
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Sad day, his guidance was offered up at the drop of a hat. Truly great man Oliver Archut. RIP.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Nut

I believe it lies most in the transformer (well, a combination of capsule + tube + transformer) but still, it hurts my feelings.

Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Blanchardon View Post
I believe it lies most in the transformer (well, a combination of capsule + tube + transformer) but still, it hurts my feelings.

Cheers.
Have you ever tried the same capsule on a bunch of different amplifiers ("mic bodies" if you will) with different transformers?
I have. And capsules vary greatly in sound.
Transformers, not nearly as much to my ears.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

The op picture shows a generic Chinese circuit board, as said seek for the original one + the psu and repair those.
The mic in this condition has no value over the capsule - depending of its condition
Personally I would look away

Matti
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I said wrong about the circuit board now that I looked bit closer ( on a cell phone now )
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

I'm not a mic expert..

..but the circumstance doesn't pass the sniff test ( to my nose). I'd give it a miss..just my 2dB..
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

DECCA did FET mods to 67's and 49's...

Perhaps scout around for info on these?

Wiggy
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

walk away. this thing will never have any true value. and getting it back to a real u67 will cost you a fortune - leaving you doubtfull if it really performs like a real one. walk away.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search