The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Flea 47 Next owner Condenser Microphones
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

New Flea 47 Next owner

Hi guys,

I just got my long awaited dream mic today! The Flea 47 Next (cardioid only) microphone. I was wondering if any users of the 47 could chime in on what preamps they like best with this model (does not have to be a Flea, but 47 based.)

I currently have - API 512C, Electrodyne 501 , Capi VP26 , Manley duel mono tube , Universal 2-610 tube.

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Recapped 1272 here, love love love.....
Old 18th July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
Hi guys,

I just got my long awaited dream mic today! The Flea 47 Next (cardioid only) microphone. I was wondering if any users of the 47 could chime in on what preamps they like best with this model (does not have to be a Flea, but 47 based.)

I currently have - API 512C, Electrodyne 501 , Capi VP26 , Manley duel mono tube , Universal 2-610 tube.

Thanks in advance!
I've always loved the sound of U47 style mics into the Aurora Audio GTQ. It lends itself to a big sound, with a nice top end. An Avedis MA5 would be my next choice.

Your API 512c could work well. Although, I usually prefer Neve style preamps... But, the 512 can sometimes sound equally great on certain voices with a U47.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
Neve.
Everything else is just a detour along the way to Neve.
Ok, not everything. :-)
But a lot.
1272 1073 1084 8801 Portico II pick one!
88R, etc and so on.
The Chandler TG in my opinion, is really close.
We're happiest with the 8801 / FLEA 249/47 match. Bold, musical clarity that is a sonic demonstration of big and bigger.
I've had the Flea for years now, it still is simply awe inspiring and beautiful fullness, the 8801 is detailed, kinda complex on the fly, Rich upfront highly musical strip that always delivers signatory sound over laden with options for most conceivable tweaks or setups.
It's very well designed and built.

Once you get used to squinting to read the panel, you're set. :-)
The 8801 is always just a cracker to switch on!
Between the pre and mic, it's almost a $10,000 channel. But it sounds like, at least a million.
Pure go to Gold.
Everytime.
Thank you Flea & Neve.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you gentlemen for your replies! I have to currently use what I have. I have tried the mic out once since I posted, using all my preamps. Since I am the only soul to engineer the gear, I got quite exhausted switching and comparing (4 hours straight.)

I found the Manley at 45 db to sound very nice. I also have a Electrodyne 511 eq and a Manley Massive Passive when I want to tweak the mic a little. I can see sometimes with several vocals one may need to take a bit of low end off the mic as it gets too big for some applications.

Tony, the Avedis MA5 is a preamps I have been wanting since they first came out. The three pres that came to mind when I thought of pres specifically for the Fleas 47 are , Great River , A Designs Pacifica and the DW Fern Tube Monster. It may take some time to nail the perfect match for my Flea. All comments appreciated, so please keep them coming!
Old 18th July 2014
Here for the gear

I found the BAE 312 sounded best for my Pearlman TM47. Second place was a tie between the Chandler TG2 and Tube Tech MP1A.
Congrats on the Flea!
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks jonathanmardukas! I guess a 312 and 512 are close enough...yes?
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=GeneHall;10269327]Neve.
Everything else is just a detour along the way to Neve.
Ok, not everything. :-)
But a lot.

What he said

In spades.

Old 19th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
The 8801 is always just a cracker to switch on!
Between the pre and mic, it's almost a $10,000 channel. But it sounds like, at least a million.
Pure go to Gold.
Everytime.
Gene,

did you mean the AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip?

R.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Gene,

did you mean the AMS Neve 8801 Channel Strip?

R.
Yes, my apologies.
I really am extremely happy with AMS Neve 8801.
And, I should say, I'm referring to Aus $$.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Any more preamp suggestions?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

V72, V76, v78
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
V72, V76, v78
second that. i tried my vintage neumanns with all kinds of preamps and always end up with a v72 for classic tone. it just sounds right. prefer it to neve or any solid state amp for this. i think this might have to do with how the impedance is bridged on the old tab units (their input is exactly 10x the source of old neumanns).
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

I have the Flea none-next U47.

I like it more running through my API 512C than my Avedis MA5 for vocals.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I wish I could afford a V series, I contemplate trading for one but not sure I want to give anything up....
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

Congrats! I recently took the plunge as well and love the Flea 47 -> AML ez1073 -> drip opto 6 (la2a) chain.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Dozerbabar, that is a very interesting statement! I would think the reverse with those two choices. Do you engage the pad on the API? I like to use an Atty for the 512c. I need to try the API more with the Flea.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Nut

I only engage the pad on the API when the source needs me to. I usually don't when tracking vocals.

I usually test both preamps when tracking vocals, but the API wins 9 out of 10 times.

YMMV and all that. I do love the API sound!
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another emphatic vote for the Avedis MA5 w/ U47-style mics -- an insanely good combo.

Flea claims that the Next sounds exactly like the Flea 47 (which they claim is very close to a vintage 47), minus the omni pattern. Is that true? In cardioid, are these two indistinguishable?
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Guru

It's crazy but I've been seeing DBX 786's sold for under a grand lately. Very under rated preamp. Several years ago I consistently picked it as my favorite on the preamp shootout CD. Over the Neve's, API's, and everything else.

The Cranesong Flamingo was another one that was near the top to my ears.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Flea claims that the Next sounds exactly like the Flea 47 (which they claim is very close to a vintage 47), minus the omni pattern. Is that true? In cardioid, are these two indistinguishable?
Still curious about this ^
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I am liking the Elecrodyne 501 and Manley allot on the Flea for my voice. I went back for a brief moment to the API and did not like it. Proper output attenuation is essential for this application. MA5 is on the list for sure. What about the Awesome preamp - The AwTAC Channel Amplifier?
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes, the 501 and Flea 47 work nicely together > big sounding.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still curious about this ^
This is certainly a tough comparison to pin on Flea. For my part, vintage 47 mics have always sounded different from each other, but within a realm one can easily decide is indicative of a classic u47 sound.
I believe the Flea 47 without question, falls smack Dab in the middle of what some "know" to be a vintage u47 sound, and those that have the vague 3Rd hand idea of what a u47 sounds like.
And like the great predecessors to Flea, there is a special undefinable subtle aspect that says it's a Flea.
Better or worse, is subjective. I dig Flea' and feel their microphones are worth every dollar they ask.
Besides, they are "in the now"..., vintage trappings need not be so tempting.
2014 we have Flea building modern solutions that pay great homage to the greatest of mic designs better than most.
Old 30th July 2014
Gotta stop reading threads like this. I can't spend this kinda cash right now! ;-)
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
earlybird
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
This is certainly a tough comparison to pin on Flea. For my part, vintage 47 mics have always sounded different from each other, but within a realm one can easily decide is indicative of a classic u47 sound.
The part I'm curious about is whether or not a Flea Next sounds identical to a Flea 47 in cardioid as Flea claims. I have little need for a 47 w/ omni so the Next might be the ticket, but not if it's a compromise in any way.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The part I'm curious about is whether or not a Flea Next sounds identical to a Flea 47 in cardioid as Flea claims. I have little need for a 47 w/ omni so the Next might be the ticket, but not if it's a compromise in any way.
I have asked the same question, as a Flea Next is within my budget; a Flea vintage is not.

I can only tell you that I have received mixed replies. Flea says they sound the same. I emailed Calistro Music and the rep that contacted me back said they sound ever so slightly different to him. Nothing that would make any difference in the context of a mix. The rep at Vintage King acted like they were two completely different mics. Of course, he wanted to sell me a Wunder.

So I guess it depends on whose opinion you trust.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

In some designs adding the back capsule only involved a wire and resistor and switch. That would add something I am sure.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
The rep at Vintage King...Of course, he wanted to sell me a Wunder.
You noticed that, too?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search