The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Flea 47 Next owner Condenser Microphones
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussyh View Post
I've been wondering whether the cardioid-only "47 NEXT" is a single membrane version of the capsule, or whether it's the standard dual membrane capsule but just simplified electrically to run in cardioid-only mode.

Either way - but particularly the first way - I think there's the potential for the "47 NEXT" to actually have the edge over its more expensive multi-pattern big brother. Usually, when you simplify a circuit or the mechanics of an electroacoustic element by removal of redundant parts, parasitic effects are eliminated and the sound improves subtly. It moves in the direction of slightly more purity, "HiFi-ness", and speed of response. So, I'd not be worried at all about the "47 Next" being inferior...On the contrary...It's probably superior.

Well...

...except for the fact that if it sounds "better" than the multi-pattern 47, then it wont sound quite exactly the same as a 47 anymore, which means what? It's worse?
Sure, I follow that logic, and it applies very often. With the design of a U47, however, those parasitic effects (some at least) contribute to the "magic." There are mics with simpler designs but that simplicity might take them further away from the goal. What I'm hoping for is not something which specs more purely and harmoniously, but something which sounds like the Neumann U47s I once owned. They were not pristine microphones but they sounded INCREDIBLE!
Old 12th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Sure, I follow that logic, and it applies very often. With the design of a U47, however, those parasitic effects (some at least) contribute to the "magic." There are mics with simpler designs but that simplicity might take them further away from the goal. What I'm hoping for is not something which specs more purely and harmoniously, but something which sounds like the Neumann U47s I once owned. They were not pristine microphones but they sounded INCREDIBLE!
I understand what you're sayin'. If that's the case, then go for the Flea 47 multi-pattern.

I personally wouldn't mind a "47-ish" sound with just a touch more speed and purity than a 47...I think
Old 24th July 2015
I hope no one gets pissed at me for asking this...
I am buying the Flea 47 EF12 next week, at the moment I'm using a apogee quartet.
Has anyone tried this combo ?
I have plugged a few different Mics into the quartet, and to my ears, the quartet was very clean, in a good way.
Just wanted to get a few opinions on it.
My studio is just for me, recording acoustic guitar,vocals,drums,piano etc.
I'm aware of how great tune preamps sound,especially with a nice tube mic,
Any comments ?
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
... Flea says they sound the same.

. . .

So I guess it depends on whose opinion you trust.
I would trust Flea. Seems to me they have every incentive to let people think there is a difference. Yet they steadfastly maintain they are exactly the same.
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I would trust Flea. Seems to me they have every incentive to let people think there is a difference. Yet they steadfastly maintain they are exactly the same.
I don't follow your logic on that. Just about every product I can think of that's offered in tiers markets the lower tiers as being the same quality as the higher priced tiers, just with fewer features, less bling, whatever. Why would it be in Flea's best interest to reverse that tactic?
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear

If you want the Porsche 911's performance you must buy the 911 - you cannot option out a Cayman to go as fast as a 911. They don't market the Cayman as lower quality, but they do tell you it's slower. Same for BMW's M3. You cannot get to M3 performance by adding options to a regular 3 series. If you want the top-of-the-line performance you need to pay the full montey. This is not a technical limitation, it's a product marketing strategy designed to keep the lower end line from cannibalizing sales of the higher end line - which is very common across many different types of products.

With Flea clearly some folks who otherwise would have been forced to buy the high end line to get the performance (the sound) will opt for the cheaper lower end "Next" version now that it's available and as long as they believe it's got the same sound. This is the definition of cannibalizing your high end line. It's a little unusual for a manufacturere to do this on purpose.

Maybe they are trying to capture the commercial studio owner who must impress customers with the high end version that looks like the original Neumanns. Vs the project studio guy who (theoretically) cares less about looks and only about the sound.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
With Flea clearly some folks who otherwise would have been forced to buy the high end line to get the performance (the sound) will opt for the cheaper lower end "Next" version now that it's available and as long as they believe it's got the same sound. This is the definition of cannibalizing your high end line. It's a little unusual for a manufacturere to do this on purpose.

Maybe they are trying to capture the commercial studio owner who must impress customers with the high end version that looks like the original Neumanns. Vs the project studio guy who (theoretically) cares less about looks and only about the sound.
I hope you're wrong, but if you guys want I'll try to rig up some kind of test when my Next gets here next week. I have a regular Flea 47, but I wanted the option to use it as part of a stereo pair.

Any ideas on how to put 2 mics in the same place at the same time? :-)
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

Flea claims that the Next sounds exactly like the Flea 47 (which they claim is very close to a vintage 47), minus the omni pattern. Is that true? In cardioid, are these two indistinguishable?
Has anyone A/B'd by now. Very curious if they truly sound the same.
Old 7th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
Has anyone A/B'd by now. Very curious if they truly sound the same.
I use a Next in a stereo pair with an original Flea 47 for drums all the time.

Recently in a particular session I was having trouble getting what I wanted; it seemed like the original was giving more low end - so I filed it away in my list of stuff to figure out when I had time.

First I spoke with Aaron Householter (US Flea distributor) at length (I was hoping he'd know of an easy way to test); his take was #1 . they are electronically identical #2 tubes vary, and Flea has switched their tube sources - I believe he said Flea is using Andreas Grosser tubes now and #3 there is a calibration pot which should allow precise voltage setting, and if this voltage has drifted, it would impact frequency response.

Today I A/B'd them, and I have to say it is VERY difficult to do this in a systematic fashion. A vocal, for example, will sound radically different with small differences in proximity and orientation to the capsule. Also, a room can have an audibly different impact in different places. If anyone has any good ideas as to how to eliminate these variables, I'd love to hear them.

That being said, I did manage to sing one note into both microphones in such a way as to convince myself they the mics are indeed indistinguishable.
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I use a Next in a stereo pair with an original Flea 47 for drums all the time.

Recently in a particular session I was having trouble getting what I wanted; it seemed like the original was giving more low end - so I filed it away in my list of stuff to figure out when I had time.

First I spoke with Aaron Householter (US Flea distributor) at length (I was hoping he'd know of an easy way to test); his take was #1 . they are electronically identical #2 tubes vary, and Flea has switched their tube sources - I believe he said Flea is using Andreas Grosser tubes now and #3 there is a calibration pot which should allow precise voltage setting, and if this voltage has drifted, it would impact frequency response.

Today I A/B'd them, and I have to say it is VERY difficult to do this in a systematic fashion. A vocal, for example, will sound radically different with small differences in proximity and orientation to the capsule. Also, a room can have an audibly different impact in different places. If anyone has any good ideas as to how to eliminate these variables, I'd love to hear them.

That being said, I did manage to sing one note into both microphones in such a way as to convince myself they the mics are indeed indistinguishable.
Eliminate the variables by recording a speaker.
Old 31st October 2017
IMHO it sounds nothing like a true U47, its a great microphone, but.......
If you are good at recording acoustic guitar,drums vocals etc etc, the mic really doesn't mean as much as most people would think.
Forget preamps, i would outfit your space with the proper acoustic treatment aka bass traps, and anything you put in that room will sound great as long as you know about mic placement.
I was one of those guys who purchased so much beautiful gear that didn't do squat until i treated my room.
Even a simple U89 sounded like a 10,000 microphone in my treated space.
Homework is the key to passing any test right ? well the very same goes for mic and mic preamps.
Old 31st October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
Hi guys,

I just got my long awaited dream mic today! The Flea 47 Next (cardioid only) microphone. I was wondering if any users of the 47 could chime in on what preamps they like best with this model (does not have to be a Flea, but 47 based.)

I currently have - API 512C, Electrodyne 501 , Capi VP26 , Manley duel mono tube , Universal 2-610 tube.

Thanks in advance!
Get your money back and get a Neumann, :-))))
Neumann is a solid mic not only with a reputation, but the guts to prove !
Old 31st October 2017
Here for the gear

Really really love the Flea 47 (and 48/49 for that matter) so far we've had great luck pairing it with the D.W Fearn vt1, the chandler emi redd 47 pre and the AML 1073 its kinda hard to go wrong with one of those combos once the basics of room, instrument and player are accounted for. I know its not the exact mic you asked about but I cut both electric and acoustic guitar with a 48 yesterday and it sounded great! the chains were as follows:
Electric - flea 48 in fig 8 - aml ez1073 - converter in
acoustic - flea 48 in cardioid - D.W Fearn VT1 - aml 2254 - converter in
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Head

I really like mine. Lovely sounding mic. Never used an original, but in some ways I think that's a positive as I just enjoy it for what it is.

Used as a mono room mic the other day and it sounded just like it did in the room, warmer actually. It's a very nice.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

I have and use 3 Peluso tubes (2247,P67 & P12) along with an AT 4060 tube. I deployed an ADL600, or occasionally a UA 4-710d pre, to a RME UFX interface for many years but have retired all of it after setting up my Digigrid/Waves LV1 last spring.
To be perfectly honest my reason for buying the new system was for needed improvements in FOH live concert performance processing. 12 years ago I purchased KV2 ES FOH stacks and EX10 wedges and was never convinced several digital consoles I used were sonically as good as my analog A & H GL2800 desk that they replaced. I did not need 24 or more channels to capture the acoustic music we perform and most all of the high end options (S21,CDM32 mix rack, etc. etc.) were way more in footprint and channel count than I needed. The decision to abandon UA plugs and move over to the Waves protocol was not easy but the Digico 'D" pres and flexible scalability were the primary reasons for me to make the change. WOW the pristine sonic quality was far more than I had hoped for and to my great surprise the DAW recordings at FP32/96K direct from the system are far superior to my former recording chain.
I now have 20 years of retired digital progress in two buttoned up SKB cases. (an Alesis HD24XR and Master Link along with the gear I previously mentioned) My Digigrid/Waves system is just one of several cutting edge offerings that are establishing a new improved sonic paradigm for our prized tube mics.
Hugh
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Of course FLEA is the best choice.

Also keep in mind the new FLEA 47 Superfet and FLEA 48 Superfet.

Solid state with the soul of a tube.

A remarkable sound.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreckdirect View Post
Get your money back and get a Neumann, :-))))
Neumann is a solid mic not only with a reputation, but the guts to prove !
That is the most useless advice I have received in 2017!

Thanks , but no thanks!
Old 1st November 2017
AB3
Lives for gear

Agreed. Flea is awesome. In 50 years, people will write on intergalactical.gearslutz.com, the following:

Hey this mic is great, but it does not sound like a Flea ...

(Who cares if a mic sounds like another mic - what is more important - is that the mic does what you want it to do!)

Quote:
That is the most useless advice I have received in 2017!

Thanks , but no thanks!
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

2018 Bumpo:

Never did get the MA5 for my Flea Next , as preamps fell by the way side at my studio , buying other needed instruments and gear.

But now I am back looking into the best "Neve" solution for me and the right price point.

It seems 500 series MA5 is a no brainer and you probably can not go wrong with that purchase.

I have been following the recent trend here on 1073 "budget" pres (Warm Audio & Heritage) and I have gone from initial excitement over the design buzz marketing claims , to completely underwhelmed interest in these apparent design flaws and muddy distorted sounds (as reported by users of these newer clones.)

What preamplifiers work best with you Flea 47 (next of vintage.)

What preamps have you not liked at all with your Flea?
Old 5th April 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
2018 Bumpo:
What preamplifiers work best with you Flea 47 (next of vintage.)

What preamps have you not liked at all with your Flea?
I have BAE 1028, BAE 1073DMP, A Designs Pacifica, Electrodyne 501 and Retro Powerstrip. And while I don't think that there's a preamp which doesn't "work" with the Flea 47, I sometimes find the Retro/Flea combination to have a bit too much coloration. Especially with some singers. But I dig this combination for drum rooms or overheads.

My go to chain for vocals and acoustic guitars is 47 - 1028 - MC77. Some sources - especially some singers - sound awesome with the Pacifica. BTW I think the Pacifica is the pre which never fails with the Flea.

Someone at gearslutz once said, the Distressor is always at least the second best compressor in his studio. I would say the same about the Pacifica. And while I looooove my 1028 and prefer it 80% of the time, if I could have only one preamp and one mic it would be the Pacifica with the Flea 47.

BTW Becouse you mentioned these two: I never heard the Warm Audio preamps but I didn't like the Heritage at all.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

After my post #135 of 10/31/17 and after two more months of considering all of the comments on this thread I called Aaron and purchased the Flea47 next. I did not need to add another vocal tube mic to my locker but after 50 years of pursuing high quality vocal recordings the temptation to procure a good sonic match for my new Digigrid/WavesLV1 system was overwhelming. Three of my Peluso's have variable patterns but they along with my AT4060 are seldom if ever out of the card pattern so the card only next was a no brainer. I ordered and paid $2,800. for the mic 2/6/18 and almost 6 weeks later it arrived: unlike my Peluso's there was a card board container housing the fitted foam insert instead of the customary metal case with clasps and handle. The mic was in a wood case and the appearance was everything I was expecting. After two weeks of use it performs better every time I work with it. I am delighted with the Flea47 next and at this point it is clearly the best vocal mic in my locker and it will be my personal performance choice for both live and studio recordings. There is no other mic anywhere near this price point that is close to the overall sonic quality of the Flea47next!
Hugh
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donson View Post

My go to chain for vocals and acoustic guitars is 47 - 1028 - MC77. Some sources - especially some singers - sound awesome with the Pacifica. BTW I think the Pacifica is the pre which never fails with the Flea.

Someone at gearslutz once said, the Distressor is always at least the second best compressor in his studio. I would say the same about the Pacifica. And while I looooove my 1028 and prefer it 80% of the time, if I could have only one preamp and one mic it would be the Pacifica with the Flea 47.

BTW Becouse you mentioned these two: I never heard the Warm Audio preamps but I didn't like the Heritage at all.
Very interesting!

I have always wanted a Pacifica since they came out , but I got diverted by other pre designs and 500 series.

Actually , I am thinking all of a sudden on purchasing BAE for my 1073 needs.

The duel pre and eq is quite expensive though (6K for 2 units) compared to the duel BAE pre with no eq is only a little over 2K. That is a 4K difference!!

But at just a hair over $2,000.00 , I would have two world class preamps and most importantly (and I believe this to be a huge factor in the 1073 design) , they are HAND WIRED AND they have their own Power Supplies!

The Warm Audio and Heritage Elite 73EQ pres are just not built right to be real 1073s at the price point they offer.

Others will disagree , but I started out , like many people in the 1990s with ART gear and it worked fine for that era. But I pay for more regret , when I purchase a low end pre and expect high end vintage results. That is just marketing to the naïve , for which we have all been guilty of at one time or other.

It is time to wise up and invest in gear that you can be happy with!
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
After my post #135 of 10/31/17 and after two more months of considering all of the comments on this thread I called Aaron and purchased the Flea47 next. I did not need to add another vocal tube mic to my locker but after 50 years of pursuing high quality vocal recordings the temptation to procure a good sonic match for my new Digigrid/WavesLV1 system was overwhelming. Three of my Peluso's have variable patterns but they along with my AT4060 are seldom if ever out of the card pattern so the card only next was a no brainer. I ordered and paid $2,800. for the mic 2/6/18 and almost 6 weeks later it arrived: unlike my Peluso's there was a card board container housing the fitted foam insert instead of the customary metal case with clasps and handle. The mic was in a wood case and the appearance was everything I was expecting. After two weeks of use it performs better every time I work with it. I am delighted with the Flea47 next and at this point it is clearly the best vocal mic in my locker and it will be my personal performance choice for both live and studio recordings. There is no other mic anywhere near this price point that is close to the overall sonic quality of the Flea47next!
Hugh
That is just awesome.

I am very happy for you and glad that you love your new Flea 47 Next!
Old 5th April 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Very interesting!

I have always wanted a Pacifica since they came out , but I got diverted by other pre designs and 500 series.

Actually , I am thinking all of a sudden on purchasing BAE for my 1073 needs.

The duel pre and eq is quite expensive though (6K for 2 units) compared to the duel BAE pre with no eq is only a little over 2K. That is a 4K difference!!

But at just a hair over $2,000.00 , I would have two world class preamps and most importantly (and I believe this to be a huge factor in the 1073 design) , they are HAND WIRED AND they have their own Power Supplies!

The Warm Audio and Heritage Elite 73EQ pres are just not built right to be real 1073s at the price point they offer.

Others will disagree , but I started out , like many people in the 1990s with ART gear and it worked fine for that era. But I pay for more regret , when I purchase a low end pre and expect high end vintage results. That is just marketing to the naïve , for which we have all been guilty of at one time or other.

It is time to wise up and invest in gear that you can be happy with!
There's not a world of a difference between the 1028 and the dual 1073. You don't get the EQ, but not everyone tracks with EQ. You will definately not regret going the BAE route. It's a killer combination with the Flea47. I can't say if it's the closest thing to a vintage neve, as I never heard one. But for me it was the preamp that I liked the most out of the candidates I listened to when hunting for a 1073 clone, which were BAE, AMS and Heritage.

Regarding the Pacifica: out of my choice of preamps you could say that it is the most boring one. But I am working with some singers, that sound much better with the pacifica than with any of my other pres. You would never go wrong having one or two channels of these. But there are sooo many cool pres out there... even more when plugging in a Flea 47
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

I put the 47 next into a shelford channel with a little high end rolled off of the top and some light compression. Sounded fantastic!
Old 7th October 2018
Here for the gear
Hi! Got a Flea 47 Next here, sounds great with both Heritage Audio JR37 and Manley Force preamps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search