The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Flea 47 Next owner Condenser Microphones
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Elambo--[deleted by mod] I don't know who you are. You seek advice and answers yet you attempt to slay the information bringer.

Of course I have heard them side by side. (FLEA 47 and FLEA 47 Next). They're the same mic---one cardioid only.

I am trying to help with real on the ground information. I am not guessing and I am not speculating.

It seems to me that you are a naturally skeptical poster who has been poisoned here by some posters writing in a cynical GS style. Is everyone a liar? Must everyone have a hidden agenda?

Please check my extensive other posts about FLEA on GS.

It IS my opinion that the mentioned dealers do not have adequate experience with FLEA to offer a credible advice. I then pointed you to a real dealer who DOES have the advice. I named them by name and gave any reader a referral to the man in charge.

I say it right like it is.

Please check my profile.

Last edited by [email protected]; 10th August 2014 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: play nicely
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

I've put the question out to someone who'll have the straight answer. I may even demo these two myself and will record a comparison. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John View Post
Hi guys,

I just got my long awaited dream mic today! The Flea 47 Next (cardioid only) microphone. I was wondering if any users of the 47 could chime in on what preamps they like best with this model (does not have to be a Flea, but 47 based.)

I currently have - API 512C, Electrodyne 501 , Capi VP26 , Manley duel mono tube , Universal 2-610 tube.

Thanks in advance!
I've tried Flea 47 on female vocal going through Api 3124 tracking quite a mellow song. It sounded a bit gritty (if that's right word to use). But then again I tracked male vocals ( kind of husky voice) through Flea 47 and Pacifa working on quite energetic upbeat song. And it sounded great.
As always its the vocal and the song that will guide you what mic or preamp to use I guess. From my small experience using Flea 47 on vocals -Neve: smooth Api: gritty.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
As somebody said, I have to stop reading this thread because I can afford any of these mics!

It is interesting that there is a $3100-$6400 range price points for three mics that are rated extremely positively as being significantly reminiscent of a vintage U47.

At the risk of being off topic,

are their opinions and experience by any of you FLEA/Wunder users as to how the Peluso and Pearlman "47 like" mics (or others) compare to the sounds of the FLEA/Wunder mics?

You know, it would be extremely interesting to record a male baritone singing a ballad, simultaneously with a lower price point U47 clone, (lets say the Peluso 2247LE) and a Wunder.

Then do two mixes, level matched, with one mic on one mix and then the other.

I would be really interested if people could hear a big difference as in a $4k difference.

By the way, I am not one of these people that doesnt think that higher quality (more expensive) doesn't equal better sound.

I'm just wondering if with certain types of products the price/value equation gets distorted?
I'm a current owner of Flea 47 and I used have Peluso 2247LE.
I personally found Peluso a bit metallic sounding. It sounded interesting on an acoustic guitar though. Drums not bad. I didn't really dig it on vocals. Flea 47 is a different beast to me. I dont know how close the Flea 47 is to Neumann U47 but it is irrelevant to me really because the Flea 47 is wonderful mic in its own right.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juraj View Post
I personally found Peluso a bit metallic sounding. It sounded interesting on an acoustic guitar though. Drums not bad. I didn't really dig it on vocals. Flea 47 is a different beast to me. I dont know how close the Flea 47 is to Neumann U47 but it is irrelevant to me really because the Flea 47 is wonderful mic in its own right.
Now, this is a post that is relevant and helpful regarding "47" sounding mics.

Thank you!
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
Likewise I used to have a Peluso 2247LE. I sold it when I bought a Telefunken AK47. It was that much better - the Peluso was veiled in the lower mids and harsh in the highs (The AK47 got moved to my B room when I bought a U47 AE)
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Metallic is a good way to describe it. I think the Peluso 47LE is one of those products whose description often ends with "...for the money." It's a very good microphone, but I, too, would have to bring price into the discussion saying it's a very good microphone "for the money."

That said, I noticed just yesterday that their price has jumped up to ~$2,500. On that playing field some other VERY good 47-style mics enter the competition. We bought our Peluso 47LE when it was in the neighborhood of $1,500 - maybe even less - and it was an easy decision then because nothing else on the market could touch it. But at this new price you're flirting with the Flea in this thread, the Wunder GTS, and others, and it's a full $1,000 more than the Pearlman which has earned a solid reputation, and $600 more than the Telefunken. Steep competition, some of which they didn't have when they were less expensive.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
At least my opinion is an educated one. I know all about FLEA and I want to point FLEA people in the right direction so that they can receive direct use experience.

I wrote what I wrote because there was a lot of doubt and uncertainty expressed in this thread.

I am actually in the recording business.
Me too. This is my job...and,
I'm not ashamed that I bought my first Flea (249B) largely based on the opinions donated by Mr Plush.
His work is at the highest level and his longevity in servitude to sound is something that can't be overlooked.
(I'm not biased, though we write pop, opera is what I listen to when I really wanna be blown away!)
It was too big a purchase and very little way to try anything out before buying.
Plush was right, and our music greatly benefited from his willingness to share his experience.
It's strange that when a seasoned pro does take the time to share their experiences, it has to be undermined in some way. For my part, when guys like Mr Plush rattle off, I find it pragmatic to take notice of, and greatly beneficial consider the pearls of insight these guys can potentially share.
Having too many opinions does not lessen the impact of his contributions and insight, it just means he might be American.
Yes, it takes one to know one.

Ivan and Flea are golden. Listen for yourself.
Fwiw, I don't actually know Mr Plush, but I know genuineness when I see it.
Thanks man.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great description of the Peluso.
No offense, but compared to Flea, it's a cheap brittle sound unusable for vocals, in my opinion.
I couldn't get our 2247 out the door fast enough.
Old 11th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Sounds like you've run it through its paces - can you speak to my question about the Next matching (i.e. equaling) the standard Flea in cardioid, if you've compared the two? This is a big question for me personally. I'm looking for real world feedback from anyone whose zeal isn't a hindrance and I doubt yours would be. I've had "insignificant" changes made to microphones which were touted as having no sonic effect but those insignificant changes actually made it a different mic. Having sent my Wunder GT in for such a minor tweaking of the polar pattern selector (intentionally making it a GTS, which is a very noticeable improvement) I've come to understand that what might seem irrelevant on paper can actually impart audible changes. I've also dealt with quite a lot of work on KM54s (and several other mics) and there's often a slight but noticeable change.
Sorry I've not compared the two, and also never compared to any other U47 clone. I demo'd it in our studio before buying and thought it sounded amazing, so it stayed
Old 11th August 2014

Quote:
That said, I noticed just yesterday that their price has jumped up to ~$2,500. On that playing field some other VERY good 47-style mics enter the competition. We bought our Peluso 47LE when it was in the neighborhood of $1,500 - maybe even less - and it was an easy decision then because nothing else on the market could touch it. But at this new price you're flirting with the Flea in this thread, the Wunder GTS, and others, and it's a full $1,000 more than the Pearlman which has earned a solid reputation, and $600 more than the Telefunken.
Yep... When we were actively selling Pelsuo 47 LE's, they were around $1400, and it was a great mic for the money. There was nothing else in that price range that could compete with it. It was either a Peluso, or spend $6000 on a Wunder CM7.

But, now there are a lot more options... when you look at the Imperial Classics Alpha 47 (which uses a Thiersch Blue Line - PVC M7 capsule and costs LESS than the Peluso) it's easy to see that things have changed. Between the Alpha 47, the Flea Next and the Wunder GTS, the Peluso seems over-priced and way over-matched nowadays.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

But, now there are a lot more options... when you look at the Imperial Classics Alpha 47 (which uses a Thiersch Blue Line - PVC M7 capsule and costs LESS than the Peluso) it's easy to see that things have changed. Between the Alpha 47, the Flea Next and the Wunder GTS, the Peluso seems over-priced and way over-matched nowadays.
Why suggest when you "look" at the Imperial when there is not even a photo online to support your suggestion. Jumping the gun on something no one here has tested or heard. If you've tested it or taken photos wouldn't it be proper to share this info? Maybe you should have thought longer about an appropriate post......
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
I auditioned a heap of mics and one dealer brought around a Wunder CM7 and I was so floored by it I bought it straight away. Simply the most beautiful sounding mic I'd ever heard (so far anyway :-) It reproduces my voice so honestly and clearly yet with that beautiful mid-forward reedy quality I've heard in a great U47 - I'm with elambo on the fact it sounded better than a few U47's I've used.

Another dealer bought around a few different pre-amps and in the end I surprised myself and ended buying a Millennia SST-1 - the VT pre on that unit makes a great pairing with my CM7 - very smooth especially from 5KHz upwards.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I auditioned a heap of mics and one dealer brought around a Wunder CM7 and I was so floored by it I bought it straight away. Simply the most beautiful sounding mic I'd ever heard (so far anyway :-) It reproduces my voice so honestly and clearly yet with that beautiful mid-forward reedy quality I've heard in a great U47 - I'm with elambo on the fact it sounded better than a few U47's I've used.
I do love Wunder mics and have a couple but that's not quite what I'd suggested about the CM7. What I was saying is that the Wunder beat out our 47s on certain sources (percussion and some acoustic guitars), but in *general* for most material both Neumanns would trump the Wunder. Those mics are $18,000 a piece so that makes the ~$6K Wunder a relative bargain.

You say that you've used 47s which weren't as impressive as the CM7 and I believe you.

Bringing it back to the Flea, I have a feeling that these two would fight neck-and-neck in a Battle of the 47s. It's not that one's any better than the other, they're just different shades of "holy sh!t that's a great microphone!" varying in the same ways that two vintage 47s might sound different.
Old 12th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
Why suggest when you "look" at the Imperial when there is not even a photo online to support your suggestion. Jumping the gun on something no one here has tested or heard. If you've tested it or taken photos wouldn't it be proper to share this info? Maybe you should have thought longer about an appropriate post......
Hi Vintageidiot,

Imperial has started shipping Alpha 47's.

And.. yes, I have a finished production model here and have tested it. I know there are a few others who have them as well... I think it's a fantastic microphone, and an incredible value.

I'm sure they'll be lots of folks on GS with them in the near future. If you'd like I can post some pics of my mic.
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

And.. yes, I have a finished production model here and have tested it.

...if you want a I can post some pics of mine.
Yes, pictures and an audio sample too would be great! Just some straight dry unprocessed voice would be much appreciated.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvo View Post
Yes, pictures and an audio sample too would be great! Just some straight dry unprocessed voice would be much appreciated.
I'd love to hear those samples as well. Perhaps in another thread tho (and I'm sure there will be plenty) as we've already stolen the OP's.
Old 12th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvo View Post
OK... I just popped open the case and took a quick picture. The Alpha 47 has the same dimensions as a long body U47... Beautiful chrome top with historically accurate grill pattern, etc. It is very impressive looking in person.

Quote:
I'd love to hear those samples as well. Perhaps in another thread tho (and I'm sure there will be plenty) as we've already stolen the OP's.
Yes.. I agree. Maybe we can discuss more in a new thread.
Attached Images
New Flea 47 Next owner-alpha47-2-1.jpg 
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

I am all set 47 wise, how about some internal shots....
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, wunder was the eye-opener , pearlman definitely.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

...separated at birth?

Attached Thumbnails
New Flea 47 Next owner-alpha47-2-1.resize.jpg   New Flea 47 Next owner-u47-diy-kit3.jpg  
Old 12th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...separated at birth?

Same wooden box. Different mics.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same wooden box. Different mics.
...just referencing a guess for the body/headbasket source...Pearlman also uses this body for his TM-47...understood that the internals are different, but as previously requested, pics of the internal build are always proof of the pudding (ie tube of choice, tranny, etc)...
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've put the question out to someone who'll have the straight answer. I may even demo these two myself and will record a comparison. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I believe Plush just gave you a straight answer. He's heard them side by side and says there's no difference. So fine, keep investigating, but you might want to walk back some of your thoughts about Plush.

-R
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Forget about opinions, track it and lets hear it. Easy enough.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I believe Plush just gave you a straight answer. He's heard them side by side and says there's no difference. So fine, keep investigating, but you might want to walk back some of your thoughts about Plush.

-R
I've received no shortage of "straight answers" over the past few weeks and it's amazing how they don't align with that claim (it's not actually amazing at all -- I expected this, just as I'd mentioned above about my own experience with these kinds of "identical to the flagship" mics and many other wiring mods). I have a few people that I trust and they've stated that the Next and vintage Flea do NOT sound the same, just as nearly everyone else in this thread, and others, have said. So... straight answer? Sorry if I can only find that humorous but I'm not a freshman GS'er and I know full well the angle of this "straight" answer.

With that nonsense behind us, yes, as I've eluded to, I've received word from those who've listened to these two mics critically, back-to-back, that they do sound different to their ears. No biasing. No marketing ploys. Just feedback. Same feedback nearly everyone is offering. So that's what I'm going with and if I buy a Flea it will be the vintage even though I don't need omni.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
Forget about opinions, track it and lets hear it. Easy enough.
Someone should do that but it won't be me -- I no longer have any interest in the Next.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

I can't speak about the Next but I have the vintage Flea 47 and Flea 49 and they are both marvelous. There's one particular U47 that i would still like to own but having the Flea 47 makes it a want and not a need. The Neumann M49 I recently used I honestly liked the Flea 49 a touch better.

So many choices we all should rejoice. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of these mics. I'm sure the Next line even if not sonically identical to the vintage line would be a great useful tool. And if there's a slight tonal difference would it really make a difference? Will a track captured with a Next be less compelling to the listener than one captured with a vintage?

Don't sweat the minutia, use these great tools to make great recordings.
Old 18th August 2014
Lives for gear

I am sorry there is so much nit picking over The Flea Next since I was away on vacation with my family. The original topic was ideal preamps for the U47 style microphone.

I can honestly say, with the short time I have used my new Flea Next before vacation (about 6 days to try it out in the studio) , I have experienced such total pleasure from singing and feeling out this wonderful mic. It is the first time in 30 years I have ever heard the real organic balance of the tone of my voice (both speaking and singing.)

I admit though, it took a couple of days to learn how to work the mic and feel the proximity range. Then I tested the different preamps that I have. So far Manley 60db and Electrodyne 501 were better for the Flea Next than API, VP26, 2-610. So far, Electrodyne is the winner for rich thick vintage sound.

I plan on getting an Avedis ma5 immediately!
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

Bumpo!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search