The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
(Advice) U67: Restore before selling?
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Head

(Advice) U67: Restore before selling?

Hi everyone,

I have a U67 that I will unfortunately have to part company with in the near future. The microphone functions perfectly, but to the best of my knowledge, it has never been serviced (I purchased it from its second owner). As a responsible seller, should I have the microphone serviced before trying to sell, and if so, are there any services that I should avoid that might lower the value of the mic?

Also, do you have any recommendations for a good person/business to do the servicing? I'm located in NYC, and was thinking of sending it down to VA to John Peluso, but if anybody has experience with other places that would be better and more convenient, I'd love to know.

Thanks!
Old 17th July 2014
If it works fine there's no need to get it serviced. Leave that to the new owner.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

If it's in full working order, and has no issues, there's no need, if you'd like to mod it or it does have some slight issues that need to be sussed out I've heard good things about Mr. Peluso, so it can't hurt to call the man himself.
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses, guys!
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

I agree with the above.. but regarding sending an original neumann to Peluso.. mmm...I don't know.. I'd rather send it to Andreas Grosser.

No disrespect for Peluso, but he sells cheap knockoffs, an original neumann U67 imho should be sent to an expert that takes care of vintage neumann's everyday and works with capsules from Tiersch and knows the in&out of these beautiful gems.

That's just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Head

U67

Neumann USA in Old Lyme CT should still work on the U67...they did on mine a while back...closer to you in NYC....Mr. Peluso has a shop in SW VA near Roanoke....when I go down that way I want to check it out and take two mics down there for him to look at that need capsule work...
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I agree with the above.. but regarding sending an original neumann to Peluso.. mmm...I don't know.. I'd rather send it to Andreas Grosser.

No disrespect for Peluso, but he sells cheap knockoffs, an original neumann U67 imho should be sent to an expert that takes care of vintage neumann's everyday and works with capsules from Tiersch and knows the in&out of these beautiful gems.

That's just my 0.02$,

Cheu
You should PM him Mr. Grosser's number or website / email. It can't hurt to contact several people and go with the guy who makes a great impression. And you also make a fair point.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

A U67 only needs service when something is wrong. If the mic sounds good and is performing to spec you need to leave it alone. A bad restoration job would drop the value of that mic and most buyers would prefer it to be as original as possible. The most common item that MIGHT require service would be if the capsule needs cleaning, but there is no regularly scheduled maintenance for that and most people don't have it done unless they notice a drop in performance. The best way to test the capsule is the breath test where you breath (gently) into the mic to see if the signal cuts out and then returns after a second or so. If the mic passes that test and sounds fine you want to LEAVE IT ALONE. If you need the capsule cleaned or some other service, I would send it to Neumann USA as they can fix anything that could go wrong and they do a good job.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

i would sell it as it is if it performs fine. i strongly suggest to not send this to peluso - nor any other american mic tech. its either neumann or andreas. i tried so many mic techs and these are the only ones who know what they are doing honestly. i would always prefer neumann personally. its really expensive though. so i would not approach it if i was you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search