The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Burl Mothership+Fatso= Too smooth?
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Burl Mothership+Fatso= Too smooth?

I just ordered a 16x16 Mothership and am considering a second Fatso (UBK) for tracking and mixing. I use the clipping/saturation and warmth more than the compressor, as fun as it is.

Anyway, most of the recordings I have heard from the Mothership don't seem to have a ton of tall/sharp transients, which is also what the Fatso seems to remove. I am just wondering if the two would be a bit overkill in terms of softening the sound and I should hold off on Fatso #2? Can they accomplish the same thing? IME rounding off too much transients leaves the sound a little indistinct.

My B80 is a MADI version, and so I've got to wait a couple weeks before I can try anything out.

I know there is a similar thread about the B2 plus Fatso for 2 buss comp, but it didn't really address my question.

Thanks.
Old 17th July 2014
Here for the gear

Yes I think it would be too soft.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

I would look into the Anamod w/351 card instead.

I have a UBK Fatso too, but would not usually use the warmth feature when I have Anamod channels available. And to be fair, the 'UBK' part of the Fatso mods the comp circuit, not the warmth circuit.

It's quite a different (BETTER!) thing---tape saturation.
Old 17th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
I just ordered a 16x16 Mothership and am considering a second Fatso (UBK) for tracking and mixing. I use the clipping/saturation and warmth more than the compressor, as fun as it is.

Anyway, most of the recordings I have heard from the Mothership don't seem to have a ton of tall/sharp transients,

My B80 is a MADI version, and so I've got to wait a couple weeks before I can try anything out.
You will have no problems with this gear.
Please try it for yourself. You have heard examples of gear, but that is not going to replace hearing it in your studio and judging its "attack" and transient response. The AD converters on the Burl aren't why the transients aren't "tall"...
because I think that machine is one of the tallest tree's in the forest. It has a lot of headroom and will start to round the edges when you push it above normal levels. A normal level that does not clip the circuit will produce it,
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Anyway, most of the recordings I have heard from the Mothership don't seem to have a ton of tall/sharp transients, which is also what the Fatso seems to remove. I am just wondering if the two would be a bit overkill in terms of softening the sound and I should hold off on Fatso #2? Can they accomplish the same thing? IME rounding off too much transients leaves the sound a little indistinct.

I know there is a similar thread about the B2 plus Fatso for 2 buss comp, but it didn't really address my question.

Thanks.

You know the answer already ... on some tracks it will be too soft, on others you may want to go further. You definitely don't "need" a Fatso on every tracking channel, ever, but you might like it ... or a hundred other comps.

You are spending $10,000 already. Why not just track with your new transformers and the gear you have ....do your heavy processing in mixing, and see what the music asks of you?

A UBK Pusher or UBK-1 plug, or Decapitator or Sans Amp will go a long way with a Mothership for what? $150 each?
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Slap a trans designer on every track that needs more spikes
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

you don't have to drive a burl, it can actually be rather transparent.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the excellent replies. I guess I had been a bit worried that the Burl wouldn't do transients because most Burl tracks I have heard are quite (intentionally) rounded and saturated. Nice to know I can get the depth, width, and low end without losing anything. What kind of levels keep it clean and detailed?

Anyway, this thread did give me an excuse NOT to get another Fatso. I love that piece, and I know how to do work with it well. Perhaps multiple units aren't necessary.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Burl wouldn't do transients
It does, in a pristine way

Quote:
What kind of levels keep it clean and detailed?
Just dont hit red. You can push 22b db into red using the attenuator input level in the B2 - not sure about the Mothership - to get saturation, but otherwise it's clean, fresh and transparent, just not harsh/digital sounding.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

If GS had a rule that people couldn't post unless they had hands-on experience with the specific topic, I'd venture to say there'd be a 95% reduction in posts. Of the above, how many of you own and use a MS? Not the Bomber, but the MS the OP just bought and is asking about. Let's help the guy, already.

The MS will "do transients" as well as any other high-end converter. It sounds ridiculously musical and people DO notice how good it sounds- even non-musicians will comment on the great tones. It is very particular to how hard you hit the A-D. When tracking, this is a tremendous advantage and tool to use. The tone/transients will change as you get closer to zero, and you cannot make it sound bad, even when your drummer goes nuts in the last chorus and you're unprepared, with the meters in steady-red. The MS has yet to let me down once in a live session. For mixdown, I generally mix to tape then to a DSD recorder so levels aren't an issue. If i'm moving fast and mixing back into the MS I do have to be very aware of my levels if I want the mix to remain "open". I generally stay below -12db. I then raise up the level in my 2-track editor. Easy.

To the OP, enjoy both the MS and UBk's brilliant Fatty. You'll find the balance between them that's musical for you. No worries, the MS will not let you down.
Have fun,
David
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent replies. I guess I had been a bit worried that the Burl wouldn't do transients because most Burl tracks I have heard are quite (intentionally) rounded and saturated. Nice to know I can get the depth, width, and low end without losing anything. What kind of levels keep it clean and detailed?

Anyway, this thread did give me an excuse NOT to get another Fatso. I love that piece, and I know how to do work with it well. Perhaps multiple units aren't necessary.
Right. You can always print things too.

The Burl is a nicer AD and DA because of the very real but not over the top transformer coloration, both ways. Depth (distortion) and low end (bump/distortion) are the result of a mono transformer chain. Width ... is the result of the non linearity created by many transformers ... on either side of the center line.

It's never clean, compared to a ULN-8 or similar, but it's not a crazy amount of color for normal levels. I've not heard the result of cranking a signal into it, or out of it, I would expect something less than ideal for most things ... you have so many cool color plugs and hardware out there to choose from.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search