The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Comp & EQ for MA5/SMB500 chain?
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Head

Comp & EQ for MA5/SMB500 chain?

I've fallen in love with the MA5 sound. One video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZsTLOg4xM

Many of the comments favor the Heritage, but to me the MA5 is Goldilocks right. I did some GS searching for an MA5 complement which led to this video sample of the Forssell SMB 500:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQc0rzWogI

Wow, what a combo, this AT4047 and Forssell. I'm buying equipment for my self, my own vox and git and style. The rock music I create is soul/RB-influenced, not any acid/metal/heavy variety, so the API/CAPI sound I don't think is needed in my arsenal. A tube style pre is probably too advanced for me.

It's looking like investing in two mics (SM7B and AT4047) and two pres - MA5 and SMB500, is the way to go. My music range is soulful, dance-able rock to folk/alternative accoustic. I think I could mix and match these mics and pres for this range of music style and get where I want to go.

However, I'm clueless as to what 500 series compressor and eq could complete this mic/pre chain. Any suggestions for such that will both serve and possibly enhance the fundamentals of this chain would be much appreciated.
Old 16th July 2014
I'm a fan of JLM gear lately, if you make the kits it works out very cheap!

JLM Audio Shop
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
I'm a fan of JLM gear lately, if you make the kits it works out very cheap!

JLM Audio Shop
Thanks, gt. I checked out the FC500 which looks like it has the potential to achieve what I suggested. Sounds like it's a great piece of gear with room for learning-curve growth.
Old 16th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

There is a lot to look at, Avedis has re-released the E27 equalizer for 500 series and those are slowly starting to ship.

The Heritage Audio 73EQ JR fits in a single 500 series slot, and man have they nailed the whole vintage Neve thing in our opinion.

Lots of good compressors, the Serpent Audio Chimera for 500 would be a strong consideration for its predictable action (he is going after the LA3A which is known for great control and ease of use in tracking).

War
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
There is a lot to look at, Avedis has re-released the E27 equalizer for 500 series and those are slowly starting to ship.

The Heritage Audio 73EQ JR fits in a single 500 series slot, and man have they nailed the whole vintage Neve thing in our opinion.

Lots of good compressors, the Serpent Audio Chimera for 500 would be a strong consideration for its predictable action (he is going after the LA3A which is known for great control and ease of use in tracking).

War
Definitely some delicious looking pieces of gear.
Old 18th July 2014

Hands down the E27 for the EQ. If you love the MA5, you will be equally impressed by the E27... One of my all time favorite EQ's. Get one now before he stops making them again.
Old 18th July 2014
I'll bet a One LA and Harrison EQ would be great. They work well with my Dimedio...

Does anyone who has actually used an E27 agree with some reviewers comments about the knobs?
Old 18th July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I'll bet a One LA and Harrison EQ would be great. They work well with my Dimedio...

Does anyone who has actually used an E27 agree with some reviewers comments about the knobs?
What comments about the knobs? I've been using the E27 for years, and have no complaints.

Also... I've never had a client have an issue with them over the last 8 years or so.

Maybe it was a reviewer trying to find something negative to say?
Old 18th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
We are new to the E27 here, but having spent time with the it getting to know it there was nothing odd about the knobs here. The build feels ridiculously solid.

By the way, as a vocal EQ the E27 sits among the top choices for its smooth presence and overall pleasing texture!

We've fully tested it, audio and video available now.

War
Old 18th July 2014
This review, in the Looks Like Smells Like paragraph...

http://www.avedisaudio.com/AVEDIS%20review.pdf
Old 18th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

Gotcha. I never even once noticed the knobs and twisted 'em up as usual with zero issues.

War
Old 18th July 2014

Quote:
This review, in the Looks Like Smells Like paragraph...

http://www.avedisaudio.com/AVEDIS%20review.pdf
This is the only time I've ever seen someone mention not liking the knobs. These magazine reviewers usually find positive and negative things to say. And, in this case I disagree with him. These knobs are better than what most 500 series units have.

I actually like the knobs very much. I've always found them functional and easy to use.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtistikdude View Post
The rock music I create is soul/RB-influenced, not any acid/metal/heavy variety, so the API/CAPI sound I don't think is needed in my arsenal.
API are very versatile. They aren't just used for metal

http://www.sunsetsound.com/?page_id=68

studio II has an API look at the artists that recorded on it: "Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand, Roberta Flack, Rick James"
Old 18th July 2014
Cool... I was just wondering.
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
This is the only time I've ever seen someone mention not liking the knobs. These magazine reviewers usually find positive and negative things to say. And, in this case I disagree with him. These knobs are better than what most 500 series units have.

I actually like the knobs very much. I've always found them functional and easy to use.
+1!

The E27 should really be on your short list.. as the MA5 is one of the best modules built for the 500series imho. The knobs are just fantastic ime, and as the rest of Avedis stuff, they're made with high quality components and checked with care by the man itself (unlike the usual 3$ pots/knobs found on other modules).
Really don't know what that reviewer was feeling
The switches used in the E27 are very expensive and the feel is really smooth. Very nice action and the knobs are easy to control.. unless you have very greasy hands after eating some pork ribs.. usually not grabbing an E27 right after that though..
Get one while you can.

Of course in these cases it's really a matter of taste and/or goals to reach from a sound point of view.. so for some reasons you might need an ssl or harrison type of eq..the harrison also have the filters, but they are state variable eqs, handy for some surgical stuff, but ime they don't sound the same as the E27 or some Neve eq's.. (which uses a different topology..which yelds to a different sound.. which one is better depends from the application and your taste..) from a sound quality point of view usually the E27 sounds better to my ears.. but it's more limited to notch out some specific freqs).

We might have similar tastes, since one of the very few other preamps I like in the 500 series is the Forssell smp500 (totally different from the MA5, very clean, transparent, but big sounding.. well made!)

As a compressor there are few pieces that might be worth checking in the 500 series.. the Cranesong Falcon is one of them imho. Also the Anamod 660 might be definitely worth a try as well. I've never used one but the aml 5450 looks interesting.. apparently is quite thick sounding.. GS moderator Trev (at Circle studios in UK) has several of these.. you might want to ask him (or check some threads around here).

So if you have an MA5 and an SMP500 you're golden.. add an E27 and a Cranesong Falcon and call it a day. heh

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Head

Thanks to all who've chimed in. All comments much appreciated, I'm exploring all suggestions and enjoying every minute of it. Ultimately, two EQ's and two comps to play ultimate mix and match with the two pres in a six slot box would be the ideal.

Thanks War also for the Clipilator, what a resource. Except that you've confirmed for me that the RCA 44 IS everything I imagined it to be and how can I settle for anything less? But of course, I must. The AT 4047 on the Tony Bennett Duets shows how with the right chain, sound CAN be butter.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Head

Ok, the E27 is the bomb. Can it be any warmer and smoother, natural and free? Comp number one will be the Serpent Chimera. That thing is incredible - every Green Day tune I hear, my brain shouts, 'that's the sound I want', and the Chimera is it, totally it. Amazing.
Old 23rd July 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtistikdude View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQc0rzWogI

Wow, what a combo, this AT4047 and Forssell. I'm buying equipment for my self, my own vox and git and style. The rock music I create is soul/RB-influenced, not any acid/metal/heavy variety, so the API/CAPI sound I don't think is needed in my arsenal. A tube style pre is probably too advanced for me.
I have an SMP500 and while the performance is nice, that untreated room doesn't show the amps true colours.

But yes, GREAT mic amp that I use along side of CAPI and I use the SMP500 more

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search