The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RND MBP, Dangerous compressor or Titan's for mix buss?
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Nut

RND MBP, Dangerous compressor or Titan's for mix buss?

Trying to choose a final mixbuss compressor for fast electronic music. Looking for something pretty clean that will preserve all the transient info and not soften anything.
Looking between a Rupert Neve Master Buss processor, a Dangerous Compressor, 2x Dave Hill titans or 2x Trakkers. I have demo'd the RND MBP but I didn't really have enough time to learn it fully. I like the compression but the limiter was a little useless for what I do and the mid/ side eq was easy to go overboard on. My Mid/side comp was broken s I couldn't try that.

I like the look of the Titan's - and the price - but I'm not sure about them on the mixbuss, and they have no sidechain filter to cope with a lot of subbass.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

Given your type of music and requirements I would test an Elysia Xpressor, or if you can afford it an Elysia Alpha. Both very clean, with great control over transients. (I have an RND MBP, but would not use it for what you describe. Also have the Xpressor, hence my suggestion.)
Old 13th July 2014
Deleted 7f9cade
I think out of the units you have listed, The Dangerous is what you would want.
Old 13th July 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the recommendations
Old 14th July 2014
Gear Addict

I have the dangerous compressor. It is an excellent compressor. So transparent and very musical at the same time. It is a great option.
Old 14th July 2014
I've been having great luck with my MBP on a lot of metal and hard rock stuff including all the R&B/Hip Hop stuff I've done since I bought it. The variable silk is amazing and I honestly have a hard time mixing without it and the SFE anymore. Gotten a lot more use from it than I was expecting
Old 14th July 2014
Gear Addict

MBP is amazing. Limiter slays on lead vocals too !
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

One thing to be aware of with the Neve piece is that the meters in regards to the limiter are not telling you ANYTHING. So weird. The limiter is incredible if you are trying to keep that last db or even 2 from clipping your converters. You won't see the meters showing reduction, and you probably won't hear the limiting, but your track is not distorting all of a sudden. Also the Limiter is way more useful in FF mode.

That piece is really a grower, a very mature piece that you learn to love through a long term relationship.

I also heard the Dangerous Compressor at Chris Muth's place, as he was mastering a Simon Phillips record. Sounded great, different sound. Transformerless, open sounding, great action.
Old 14th July 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advice - I really felt I didn't get enough time to know the RND MBP properly. I'd love an Elysia Alpha, but thats a dream. The mpressor would be a stretch and and xpressor more realistic. The xpressor seems to have some additional features over the mpressor too.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Given your type of music and requirements I would test an Elysia Xpressor, or if you can afford it an Elysia Alpha. Both very clean, with great control over transients. (I have an RND MBP, but would not use it for what you describe. Also have the Xpressor, hence my suggestion.)
Hi Earcatcher,

What styles of music do you use your MBP for? Do you think it's good for mainstream pop, rock and jazz? Thanks.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
One thing to be aware of with the Neve piece is that the meters in regards to the limiter are not telling you ANYTHING. So weird. The limiter is incredible if you are trying to keep that last db or even 2 from clipping your converters. You won't see the meters showing reduction, and you probably won't hear the limiting, but your track is not distorting all of a sudden. Also the Limiter is way more useful in FF mode.

That piece is really a grower, a very mature piece that you learn to love through a long term relationship.

I also heard the Dangerous Compressor at Chris Muth's place, as he was mastering a Simon Phillips record. Sounded great, different sound. Transformerless, open sounding, great action.
I agree with you about the metering! It was quite odd.
Old 16th July 2014
IME RND MBP kills it on electronic music. i understand your comment about the limiter though, it could be much more useful with just one or two more knobs. but the rest of the box is absolutely one of a kind.
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by missioncontrol View Post
IME RND MBP kills it on electronic music. i understand your comment about the limiter though, it could be much more useful with just one or two more knobs. but the rest of the box is absolutely one of a kind.
What would you be using it on? The master bus? Also - what type of electronic music? I make dnb -I find the speed ( and the structure of the beats) of it makes it need different things to, say, a house tempo track with a big kick and more time between beats. I'm probably just using compressors wrong!
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevo View Post
Hi Earcatcher,

What styles of music do you use your MBP for? Do you think it's good for mainstream pop, rock and jazz? Thanks.
I use it mainly for classical and acoustic stuff. It helps creating a very pleasant tone when used with care, although I never use the silk option as it is way too much distortion for my purposes. I also use the main gain only very juidiciously, or the signal will be pushed too far into coloration. However, the coloration is beautiful, and makes the unit very versatile for pop, rock and jazz, as you would use it for. The reason I would not recommend this unit for the OP is because he was "Looking for something pretty clean that will preserve all the transient info and not soften anything." That's more of Elysia territory in my opinion.
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Maniac

the fantastic GML 8900 is still a king for your task
Old 16th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
What would you be using it on? The master bus? Also - what type of electronic music? I make dnb -I find the speed ( and the structure of the beats) of it makes it need different things to, say, a house tempo track with a big kick and more time between beats. I'm probably just using compressors wrong!
i use it for mastering, and basically anything else. it sounds good on everything to me. doesn't always impart the most juice or character, like UA stuff or anything tube. but always sounds good and incredibly dynamic imo. very FAST compression when you want it.

the more i think about it the more i THINK it would be the perfect buss compressor for any type of electronic music.

the stuff i've used it on has mostly been hip hop, mid and uptempo pop tracks that are electronic driven
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

I own both the mbp and dangerous, both excellent choices for mix buss and tracking.
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I use it mainly for classical and acoustic stuff. It helps creating a very pleasant tone when used with care, although I never use the silk option as it is way too much distortion for my purposes. I also use the main gain only very juidiciously, or the signal will be pushed too far into coloration. However, the coloration is beautiful, and makes the unit very versatile for pop, rock and jazz, as you would use it for. The reason I would not recommend this unit for the OP is because he was "Looking for something pretty clean that will preserve all the transient info and not soften anything." That's more of Elysia territory in my opinion.
Thank you for weighing in your opinion about the unit!
Old 2nd September 2014
The MPB is an amazing bus and (in my case) mastering compressor, suitable for many different styles of music. Not very colored. I used in a contemporary classical music project last week, this week I will use it for mastering a bass heavy hiphop album (with the 250hz sidechain highpass). I would have bought it just for its compression but do love some of its the additional features now (especially the side/mid tricks and blue silk). Very flexible, great sounding and reliable comp. Also cool: all the controls are detented. Best, Freddy
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Knop View Post
The MPB is an amazing bus and (in my case) mastering compressor, suitable for many different styles of music. Not very colored. I used in a contemporary classical music project last week, this week I will use it for mastering a bass heavy hiphop album (with the 250hz sidechain highpass). I would have bought it just for its compression but do love some of its the additional features now (especially the side/mid tricks and blue silk). Very flexible, great sounding and reliable comp. Also cool: all the controls are detented. Best, Freddy
I have kind of a dumb questions (sorry to derail the thread), does the filter only activate if you have a source connected to the sidechain, or will it filter what's going to the compressors without a sidechain input?
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolipsist View Post
I have kind of a dumb questions (sorry to derail the thread), does the filter only activate if you have a source connected to the sidechain, or will it filter what's going to the compressors without a sidechain input?
The MBP filter works independently of the sidechain input.
Old 3rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Addict
I also have the Neve MBP and can't speak highly enough about it. I'm absolutely sure it can handle the music you're doing. The features you get for the price point, to me, also makes this box worthwhile.

Like a few other MBP owners have said, it does take some time to learn it and what everything does, but when you do....its a wrap! I also have a Shadow Hills Mastering Comp that I'd still suggest the MBP over for your specific style of music. Hope the info helps....

BTW...if you get the MBP...learn to use the SFE to Comp feature. Really can do wonders when Mid/Side Compressing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search