The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quality Vintage-Sounding Tube Preamp For Ribbons Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I´m using Presonus ADL600 for my AEA R88 and liking it a lot. It´s a fabulous preamp, very clean and thick as butter.
And it has DI which is fantastic on bass and synths
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Nut

A used Groove Tubes Vipre, which has a adjustable input impedance from 300 (vintage) up to 2400 (modern) omega.
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonster View Post
I've been looking for a preamp to go with my AEA R84 ribbon mic. Although the TRP and the RPQ are tempting, I am curious if there is a tube preamp that treat ribbons with the love they need (and gain). I am endlessly searching for that elusive vintage sound and I have a simple, although basic, analog set-up. Unfortunately, I'm only looking at newly made gear that go with that old-school approach (I just want to plug-and-play).

I am willing to go the extra mile, if necessary, for a serious beast like the Mercury v72s1/MKIII or Fearn VT-1 (the Retro Powerstrip is too expensive and with too many options, although it sounds incredible... I need simple). Especially, if I can find a tube pre that will also do well with tube LDC's (Beesneez) and a future AEA 44CE (one day!!!). DI would be valuable, but not essential. Don't want anything too harsh or crunchy or sterile.

So... any recommendations for a (new) tube pre that grabs the classic/vintage vibe and will work easily with ribbons?

Thanks!
If you are willing to go the extra mile, the 76 from Mercury is the beast to be had.

It's like plugging a 72 into another 72.

I have the AEA 44 that you are thinking of for down the line. That mic sees me use everything from the 1073 to the MP2A to the 76 and the AM16. All very different sounds but all golden.

The air from the AM16 can be quite nice.

The tube pre of choice in my humble opinion is the Mercury 76. Better build quality than TAB, and one more transformer. It's a heavy beast meant for hunting bear.

Comprende?
Old 15th July 2014
Gear Maniac

The Tree Audio Branch preamp is different... it uses a tube (vs. solid state) rectifier. I haven't heard it yet, but many who have love it.

Tree Audio Tube Console The Roots Home Page
Old 16th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post

The tube pre of choice in my humble opinion is the Mercury 76. Better build quality than TAB, and one more transformer. It's a heavy beast meant for hunting bear.

Comprende?
awesome. bears are heavy. and for real. I'll keep my eyes out for a used M76m. Looks like a component that becomes part of the family from day 1. Will try to check one out in the flesh as well. Thanks!
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
Love my VT-2 but some times I find a cloudlifter helps out my Ribbons \m/
I do have to admit that I sum into an X-Desk/ X-Panda. They have an extra 20 dB boost for every channel, so that can help if necessary.

I have not tried the VT-12, but the VT-1 is very quiet. His philosophy is to build the best, and not to a price point. I would be very surprised if the VT-12 was noisy...
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Since you asked, I just tried the AEA TRP with my R88 and was rather disappointed when comparing it to my Aurora Audio Sidecar preamps. To be sure, it is quiet, but it sounded rather thin in comparison. I decided to just run a cloud lifter into my Aurora for a little extra clean gain if needed.

Best,
Chris
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonster View Post
awesome. bears are heavy. and for real. I'll keep my eyes out for a used M76m. Looks like a component that becomes part of the family from day 1. Will try to check one out in the flesh as well. Thanks!
It's all good
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Since you asked, I just tried the AEA TRP with my R88 and was rather disappointed when comparing it to my Aurora Audio Sidecar preamps. To be sure, it is quiet, but it sounded rather thin in comparison. I decided to just run a cloud lifter into my Aurora for a little extra clean gain if needed.

Best,
Chris
Wes Dooley makes exceptional stuff. That pre is very neutral and offers a lot of gain. The Aurora on the other hand is a tone beast, great gear for certain but I'm unsure that it's fair to compare them. The cloudlifter is a good deal, lots of added gain and added protection for your ribbons. I also have an 88. I love it on piano through either the great river or A Designs MP2A.

Enjoy the cloudlifter. I love them.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

Hi
someone knows what model of preamp was used on the early Sinatra recordings? I´m referring to the early 40' when he was using mostly RCA 44 on voice. I think that in the 50' they started to use the preamps from the custom Bill Putnam console but i´m curious about the things they used before.
Old 20th July 2014
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelorenz View Post
Hi
someone knows what model of preamp was used on the early Sinatra recordings? I´m referring to the early 40' when he was using mostly RCA 44 on voice. I think that in the 50' they started to use the preamps from the custom Bill Putnam console but i´m curious about the things they used before.
This is a demo of a modified RCA pre amp from the 40's it used three pentode tubes and a tube rectifier to get a massive 90dB of gain.
RCA OP-6 Tube Microphone Pre-Amplifier from the 1940's Drum ...
? 4:14? 4:14
RCA OP-6 Tube Microphone Pre-Amplifier from the 1940's Drum tracking and V/O - YouTube
24 Aug 2012 - Uploaded by shawn sullivan
Tube microphone pre-amplifier from the 1940's, Drum tracking at www. worldclassaudio.com ...

The output transformer is a very interesting design, offering a gain variable feedback winding.
The only other pre amp manufacturer to use this clever sort of negative feedback control circuit was made by Langevin.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I'll second the GT Vipre.
Old 15th August 2014
Here for the gear

well I found an Ampex 350 and it sounds awesome!
But now I see that Retro has re-created the OP-6. Gonna have to start saving. Hope it sounds for real.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search