The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AVID HD I/O CARD (A/D Input) Question
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Head

AVID HD I/O CARD (A/D Input) Question

Electronic experts out there I have a question. I have a two year old AVID HD I/O that I purchased in the 8X8X8 configuration. I'm ditching the Digital Card I/O to add 8 more analog inputs. I purchased a used AVID HD I/O AD Card on Ebay from a very reputable seller. The purchased card has different colored circuitry than the one that came installed in the 8X8X8. Any idea why that would be? I'm not an electrician so I can't tell you what those circuit parts are component-wise. Haven't installed yet to test. Just the curiosity in me …

See Below

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by vkcarrillo; 10th July 2014 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10th July 2014
Here for the gear

Although that might seem a bit fishy, it's pretty common. Capacitor manufacturers change product colors, different product lines (with otherwise identical values and specs) might have different package colors, Avid may have had to switch suppliers at some point during their manufacturing run (again, using the exact same value/spec capacitors, but that might look a bit different on the outside), and the last option is that someone is making completely working counterfeit I/O cards (EXTREMELY unlikely, but I suppose it's possible).

Given that you got them from a reputable dealer, I wouldn't worry much at all. If you want, try to contact engineering and manufacturing at Avid (good luck...) and see if they can confirm a part / supplier change that would account for your different cap colors.

If you really wanna get picky, run a music signal out thru your analog outs, and loop it back into your old input card, and then again into the new input card. Do a null test and see if the new card really differs from the old one.
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Head

Thanks...can't imagine a clone that complex but those Chinese can dup anything
Old 12th July 2014
It'll be fine - just different suppliers of components.

The chances of someone being bothered enough to try to scam on a niche product like an HD input card are incredibly low. The chances of a functioning clone even more so!
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Head

Quick update. The "used" card is a "Rev B" according to silkscreening on the PCB board. The original card is a "Rev A"...
Old 18th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkcarrillo View Post
Quick update. The "used" card is a "Rev B" according to silkscreening on the PCB board. The original card is a "Rev A"...
There you go then...that explains it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search