The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2x Distressors or RND Master Buss Processor?
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Nut

2x Distressors or RND Master Buss Processor?

I have the opportunity to pick either of these for use in mixing/ and 2 buss situations and I cannot decide, even after demoing. I make high bpm electronic music mostly. Please help

This is what I've found:
Distressors - dirtier than the RND but versatile, also, cheaper. Apparently not great on a mix buss (they seem ok to me in that role, with the right settings). Slightly slower to use in stereo. Tried and tested classic.

RND master Buss processor.
Good in stereo. Clean, subtle. Unfortunately my unit was partially broken so I couldn't use any mid side compression.

Thanks
r
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Nut

Is this your only outboard? If so, I'd go with the distressors so you can really shape the kick, bass and whatever lead or vocal to your liking.

That 2bus mojo, while not exactly the same, can be added during mastering anyways.
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear
One doesn't negate the need for the other.. buy one, you're always going to want the other
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

I say a matched pair of Chandler LTD Germanium Compressors. Beefier and just flexible as the Distressors, with parallel compression built in like the RND Master Bus Processor. It can essentially do 90% of what both compressors can achieve, and I prefer it's tone to either. However it does NOT have a second hard limiter like the RND.
Old 6th July 2014
RND MBP. I've found it works great on EDM.

I also LOVE distressors and couldn't live without them, but for me, they go on the drum bus.
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advice. Decisions...
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Nut

Old 7th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
Thanks for the advice. Decisions...
Edited a typo in my previous post, the Chandler does NOT have a second hard limiter is what I meant to say.

The other thing about the Chandlers is they have six different knee settings. Something both other compressors listed cannot boast. so it's like having six different sounding compressors depending on your needs.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Nut

Cheers herecomesyourman!
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

Oh boy, that would never be a question for me - for 2 buss the RND is a no brainer. Distressors aren't my favorite compressors but they do have their place but I would never run my whole mix through them. I'd run my mom through the RND, though.
Old 9th July 2014
Gear Maniac

The thing that has blown me away is how great of a tracking compressor the RND MBP is. I literally use it on every track.
Old 9th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
I have the opportunity to pick either of these for use in mixing/ and 2 buss situations and I cannot decide, even after demoing.

Respectfully: if you can't decide, either you want both or you want neither.

I generally know within a very short period of time if something is right or not. There's so much stuff out there, I'm not sure how you narrowed the field down to these 2 completely unalike processors, but maybe your criteria was flawed or what you thought you were looking for is different than what you're *actually* looking for?

In your position I'd keep looking, I can't imagine spending this amount of money on anything that I didn't know 100% in my gut was exactly what I was supposed to be doing. No one here can give you that kind of certainty, and I wouldn't stop looking until I found it.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear
^ this guy knows. there should be a book of UBK posts.. I'd buy it!
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Nut

It's difficult in Australia - I paid for both units in order to demo them, knowing they are quite different. The shop I bought from is reluctant (!) to let me try other units, despite me not being 100% sold on either, and I have to pay for shipping on the demo units as well (expensive) . I now may be forced into buying one of the two after a very short demo period and I'm trying to get the better one. Although the RND is a lot more expensive, I think it will be more useful in the long run.
Old 21st July 2014
Here for the gear

I own both and IMO its a no brainer. Grab the Neve. for the mix buss its magic. Also fine for most every other application. and i agree with the other poster that the distressors are fantastic on the drum buss but not ideal for everything. not great on the 2 buss and empirical labs would probably tell you the same thing.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Head
Both are solid units. But as Gregory stated unalike. For me, the Distressors get use on individual tracks and a maybe a group bus. For mix bus I really wouldn't go there. OTOH, the Neve works great on mix bus. If picking one unit over the other, I'd look at what my needs were.
Old 21st July 2014
I would almost never chose distressors on anything. YMMV of course.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search