The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AVID 8 Channel preamp, is it good?
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Head

AVID 8 Channel preamp, is it good?

Hey people, I am wondering about buying AVID's 8 channel preamp, but I was just wondering, is it any good compared to the price? Is it overpriced? Any other 8 channel preamps that are better?

I was thinking about buying a Focusrite Octopre MK2, is that good? Have you tried them?

I am gonna use this preamp for everything. Drums, guitar, vocal, electric guitar, and yeah, literally everything.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MountainStream; 3rd July 2014 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Pressed enter by accident, so I posted a thread only containing the title.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes. It is. Very good. PROVIDED that you're not going to be using preamps as a crutch for poor engineering or mic placement. I was sent one by Digi to try long back. My first reaction was to scoff at the sales rep, saying what do digidesign know about making mic pres. As it turned out, quite a bit. I still have the Pre. I chose to keep it. It has the added advantage of being able to be controlled by and saved within ProTools if that's the DAW of your choice. YMMV.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear
PRE's are pretty dang good sounding. Better (clean) 8ch units IMO; Prodigy Engineering Anima, Millennia HV-3d, grace m802. I have an Anima and love it, have owned avid/digi pres and used the others a little, but never all of them side by side. I guess the avid ones are better than the octopre (never used those).

At ebay prices the avid pre is definitely a really good value, the only downside is if it fails, it's trash. Avid want something like $600 bench fee to open one up, and possibly more fix it, I have a dead one here...tried replacing the power supply but no dice, something is wrong with it's EEPROM/OS so it's toast.
Old 3rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Octopre is a great box...haven't used Avid pres, but you definitely can make records with an Octo
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

My seem like a shameless plug as I'm selling one in the classifieds, but by far one of the best 8 ch preamp units out there is the Line Audio 8MP

Line Audio Design - Made in Sweden

All within 1u

I'm compared these to units 3x their price and these often excel.
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

I have two Avid Pre units that I use for tracking drums and almost everything else. I love them. They have a great transient response and are ridiculously quiet. They are very transparent and can provide up to 69db of gain. The remote control feature is super convenient. The Pres are great.
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

had AVID[digidesign] Pre... its is good bang $ love the DAW control
but the omni pres are better somehow... I think their different
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
had AVID[digidesign] Pre... its is good bang $ love the DAW control
but the omni pres are better somehow... I think their different
The Omni pres are touted as an improved design, no? I couldn't personally say whether they are or are not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search