The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trident Console, Burl, Masterlink problem...
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Head

Trident Console, Burl, Masterlink problem...

So, I am using the Trident 80B console for mix down through the Burl B2 A/D/C bomber to a Masterlink... Out of the blue I have developed a distortion playback issue.... Monitoring through the 2-track on the Trident everything sound great.. no level issue to print... then we playback and everything is distorted at least +3db... any help would be appreciated!

-Andrew
Old 3rd July 2014
More cowbell!

Unplug from the Masterlink and feed into some other mix-down unit, or back into a couple tracks on your DAW. If that sounds fine, it is the Masterlink, which would be my bet. I've had sudden weird problems with Masterlink's digi inputs before. If that still sounds distorted, do another from the board into the analog inputs on the ML, without the Burl. Again, to isolate the problem, and if it sounds fine, then it is the Burl. Etc. Etc. You get the idea. Of course, do all the usual swapping out of cables and stuff too. Another thing to explore is any standalone power source, as these can often have abrupt problems and cause this exact kind of issue. If possible, check the voltage output at the wall--brownouts or socket problems can cause similar things (or just switch outlets, if a completely separate one is available. From what you describe, it seems likely to be something in the Masterlink, but again, that may be due to the wall outlet, cable weirdness, or nearby aliens See if other material that was known to be good sounds OK on the ML.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the insight... I actually have two master link units for bouncing and making it easier to use the tape machines for overall mix saturations from cd's or previous mixes... The problem is occurring in BOTH master links......? The funny thing is we have mixed another record for the past two days and didn't have the problem.. started on another project and three songs in we stopped to listen to playback and the distortion/DB problem is occurring.... I can't make a decision on what in the world is causing the problem... all the dsp settings in the master link are off as well... I can of course turn the mix down -2db on the master link but the trade off is I'm losing juice and air from some of the ITA and Gates limiters I am using on the vocals.. etc etc etc.... CONFUSED......
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear
Seems like some basic signal flow troubleshooting. You have to figure out if it's the: Trident output to Burl, the ML file itself, the ML output, or the Trident input. So try connecting each to different things and import the file to a DAW or any other player. Doesn't sound like you've tested anything other than a different ML plugged into the exact same chain... that's about 1/5th of the system.
Old 3rd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Seems like some basic signal flow troubleshooting. You have to figure out if it's the: Trident output to Burl, the ML file itself, the ML output, or the Trident input. So try connecting each to different things and import the file to a DAW or any other player. Doesn't sound like you've tested anything other than a different ML plugged into the exact same chain... that's about 1/5th of the system.
As someone who's used master links with outboard converters for years, it's pretty doubtful it's the masterlink Especially since 2 exhibit the same behavior. What I'd do is start at the beginning like Brew said, take the 2 buss output and patch it into your DAW, if that's good, try patching straight in the ML's analog I/O, If the problem hasn't shown up yet, obviously something is up with 1. connection from the burl to the ML or 2. The Burl. You have to do it step by step but I doubt it's the masterlink
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Addict

I don't have a clue, other than I would love to have your problems
Old 5th July 2014
Gear Head

So, I've tried just about everything we could come up with and all of your advice... It seems the -12 on the burl causes it to act out the most (obviously)... Even straight analog in and out it's happening... Even taking the burl out of the chain... Grabbed another masterlink from next door at a mastering facility... Same thing... Would monitoring through the two track matrix on the trident have anything to do with it? I just can't see it.... I'd like to think that I could have heard the issue all along but maybe not...? I've read about coloring from the masterlink but it's never been that bad to me.... Some folks say they can hear it as well as weird output issues on other forums...??
Old 5th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedrecording View Post
So, I've tried just about everything we could come up with and all of your advice... It seems the -12 on the burl causes it to act out the most (obviously)... Even straight analog in and out it's happening... Even taking the burl out of the chain... Grabbed another masterlink from next door at a mastering facility... Same thing... Would monitoring through the two track matrix on the trident have anything to do with it? I just can't see it.... I'd like to think that I could have heard the issue all along but maybe not...? I've read about coloring from the masterlink but it's never been that bad to me.... Some folks say they can hear it as well as weird output issues on other forums...??
what happens if you go out of your 2 buss and back into your daw using the daw convertors? I've been using one since they came out never had any issues like that. My first one died about a year and a half ago and the second I bought used has also been fine.
Old 6th July 2014
Lives for gear
You have to try different monitoring sources (inputs). It doesn't sound like it's the Burl or the ML at this point. If you don't break the chain at every stage, and are testing the same things over and over, you're not going to get a different result. Use tone at a known level to see where gain happens. It seems like maybe your input monitor source is broken or adding gain. Just patch tone out and right back in. Normally on a console you should monitor the DAW output back through the external monitor 2trk inputs.

The ML is +19 dBu out, a pro console should be able to handle that.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Head

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! Got it fixed... re-calibrated the console and ran the oscillator as well... all seems to be back to normal... appreciate the help!
Old 9th July 2014
Gear Nut

Whee sounds good

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search