The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitor Controller Suggestions
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Monitor Controller Suggestions

Do you guys have any suggestions on a good monitor controller?
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Addict

If you need a good DA converter as well as a monitor controller, you might look at the Dangerous Music Source.

Or you might look at the Drawmer MC2.1, which sacrifices the DA for some additional features, such as a sub connection as well as mono and independent channel mutes.
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks! The Drawmer seems to have everything I'm looking for which is: Transparency, 2-3 Outs AND a sub out. This might be the one if no others can come close & in that price range.
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Maniac

I've been using the Drawmer for about a year and I love it. The headphone outputs seem a tad bright, but nothing I can't live with. (I wonder if anyone else feels this way?)

It's designed to be a table top unit, so keep that in mind. They have a rack kit for it, but it'll hog up 2 whole spaces if you go that route.
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

You don't mention a budget, but the Crane Song Avocet, Dangerous Music Monitor ST and Grace m905 are great monitor controllers if you can afford them.
Old 2nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
You don't mention a budget, but the Crane Song Avocet, Dangerous Music Monitor ST and Grace m905 are great monitor controllers if you can afford them.
This. And if you can't afford them you shouldn't have posted your question in the high end!
Old 2nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for all your insights. Especially [email protected] for such great info..
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

You might also want to check out the SPL Crimson.

More than just a monitor controller. Great reviews and quality, price ratio.

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

If it's in your budget, get an Avocet and call it a day. The DA was recently updated in it as well. Really a great unit all around.
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Addict

Take a look at the Radial MC3 - less than half the price of the Drawmer, but still some nice features.

Two sets of monitor outs, separate sub, three headphone jacks, and front panel control of A/B, sub, dim, mono, level, headphone level. Trim pots on top to balance monitor pairs and sub, and sub phase switch. It's built like a tank. I've been very happy with mine and it's a great value considering the feature set. Regularly $259.99 at Sweetwater...they also currently have a demo marked down to $224.10

Yes, I know...not high end. But you know what? Sometimes you don't always have to go the big $$ route if you can get the tools/results you need without doing so.
Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

+1 Avocet
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

I love my Dangerous D-Box
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Crane Song Avocet
Old 5th July 2014
Here for the gear

All good suggestions, wont hurt to mention Coleman and just to point out that DAC on Dangerous units is super good
Old 5th July 2014
Crane Song Avocet !

Brilliant...

R.
Old 7th July 2014
This may not be much help for you unless you're on a HD or HDX system but I found an Omni for $800 which was just a touch more than the Dangerous and added a pair of preamps and a surround monitor controller on top of that to the rig. Best choice so far.
Old 7th July 2014
Here for the gear

The headphone outputs seem a tad bright, but nothing I can't live with
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Addict

SPL 2381 has some useful features and being SPL is good quality
Old 7th July 2014
If you wish to buy something where the majority of the money has been spent on components, as opposed to frills and gimmicks, pick up the Benchmark series (DA-C).
Old 7th July 2014
This is my custom-made monitor controller with 26 position 6 pole fully balanced rotary switch(another one under construction,this will be half rack size)

Old 7th July 2014
Old 7th July 2014
noiselab: please share your schematic. thanks.
Old 8th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

If the Drawmer already fits the need then I would suggest buying it without hesitation and get back to making music. In the "all analog" realm of desktop units it has a winning feature set as well as excellent, clean audio with all the detail it is fed with making it to your speakers.

War
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

I've got the drawmer and like it a lot. Or as much as you can really like a monitor controller. It's clean and has talkback
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

The Drawmer is a great unit for the money. Beats the pants off of a Mackie Big Knob, and the Presonus Central Station (all of which should never be mentioned in the High End forum!)

You may also want to look at a couple of the different Coleman models as they have the features you were looking for at a decent price point. I have a Dangerous Monitor ST and would only part with it for a CraneSong Avocet even though for me I am not sure that would be a step up in quality so much as it would be for features.
Old 8th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
You may also want to look at a couple of the different Coleman models as they have the features you were looking for at a decent price point. I have a Dangerous Monitor ST and would only part with it for a CraneSong Avocet even though for me I am not sure that would be a step up in quality so much as it would be for features.
I love the Monitor ST, that remote makes me feel like Captain Kirk on the USS Enterprise. The sound quality is excellent of course, even an Avocet would not really kick out a noticeable difference but as you state, feature sets and some build differences in the hardware.
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

The Dangerous D-Box is great + you get an incredible D/A ! & summing
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

for the full ranges and other speakers I have an ES series Sony amp, which has monitor switching on it too
Old 8th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
noiselab: please share your schematic. thanks.
I don't have schematics just the calculations for the attenuating steps, this is a standard 600ohm Bridged H attenuation tag (balanced Bridged T)

You can find the description here, I'm using it with my Neumann KH120a's, the only problem was to build this 6 pole attenuator from parts (we used NOS 2 pole silver plated switches to construct it)
Passive Attenuator Tutorial for Common Attenuator Designs

"The T-pad Attenuator is so called because its configuration resembles the letter “T”. The “T-pad Attenuator” is a symmetrical attenuator that can be used either for attenuation between equal impedances or impedance matching between unequal impedances. When the attenuation is high, the parallel shunt arm impedance becomes small. The balanced equivalent of the T-pad attenuator is called an H-pad attenuator."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search